(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you brought up dormer rooms because I have never stayed in one but am curious what people think of them. I did look at the pics posted on page 1, but I am wondering about the balcony. Are they basically just for standing and looking out, or are there chairs? I assume with the enclosure, one would have to stand to see out over the rail/wall? We'll be arriving in twelve days :yay: and I've been thinking how I would feel about a dormer room. Thoughts anyone?
I don't like dormer balconies because you can't see out of them without standing. We like to sit and have our coffee on the balcony in the mornings, weather permitting, and you can't do that with the dormer balcony.

X2 on what @Wood Nymph said. It's funny and I guess somewhat silly, but that one little morning routine is a huge preference for us. Also an evening beverage while the kids are going to sleep. Just really like a full/normal balcony.

That confirms my thinking, that the balconies of those rooms would be best suited for just stepping out to look around. We too enjoy having morning coffee on the balcony. And having the nightly glass of wine on the balcony is mighty nice!

Thanks for the yacht club impressions guys. Ill definitly go in with an open mind. I just hope i can take advantage of stormalong bay since it could be pretty cold in december.

Dormer rooms to me are dark and small, i dont like them. I ask to be moved whenever im assigned a dormer room.

Thanks for the yacht club impressions guys. Ill definitly go in with an open mind. I just hope i can take advantage of stormalong bay since it could be pretty cold in december.

Dormer rooms to me are dark and small, i dont like them. I ask to be moved whenever im assigned a dormer room.

What is a "dormer room"?

What is a "dormer room"?

"Dormer roooms" are ones where the balcony is a dormer that juts out of the roof slope vs a traditional balcony. For visual reference, check out the photos below. You see them on the top floors of each building. This is also a good contrast in dormer vs regular balconies - you can see the difference in size, style, etc.

Attachments

• GF Kid Splash Area.jpeg
    GF Kid Splash Area.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Courtyard Pool.jpeg
    Courtyard Pool.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 46
Hello! Just got back today from our week long GF stay. It was our best trip yet, and had so many magical moments. There were 11 of us, and this was our first time to stay at GF. Loved it! I plan to do a full trip report tomorrow. I've been up since 4am and am about to turn in early. We were on the first floor in Conch Key and loved loved loved our location. The resort launch back from the MK was literally only steps from our room, and so nice to be so close after a long day at the park. Also, just a few steps away from watching the fireworks and EWP from the dock. The weather forecast had looked terrible, but it really was much nicer than I expected for mid-August. Rained a bit every afternoon, but we dodged downpours pretty well. :umbrella: Parks were crowded, but manageable since we had FPs for the headliners. HEA exceeded the hype and was an unbelievable show. I was a big Wishes fan, but this topped it by a mile IMHO. Also, FOP was a mind-blowing attraction. Thrilling in every way. Missing the magic already, but my family made life time memories and we plan to return soon.

Hello! Just got back today from our week long GF stay. It was our best trip yet, and had so many magical moments. There were 11 of us, and this was our first time to stay at GF. Loved it! I plan to do a full trip report tomorrow. I've been up since 4am and am about to turn in early. We were on the first floor in Conch Key and loved loved loved our location. The resort launch back from the MK was literally only steps from our room, and so nice to be so close after a long day at the park. Also, just a few steps away from watching the fireworks and EWP from the dock. The weather forecast had looked terrible, but it really was much nicer than I expected for mid-August. Rained a bit every afternoon, but we dodged downpours pretty well. :umbrella: Parks were crowded, but manageable since we had FPs for the headliners. HEA exceeded the hype and was an unbelievable show. I was a big Wishes fan, but this topped it by a mile IMHO. Also, FOP was a mind-blowing attraction. Thrilling in every way. Missing the magic already, but my family made life time memories and we plan to return soon.
Oh good I requested conch for my upcoming stay. It doesn't get mentioned much but I love the boats and courtyard pool so I thought this would work.

Can't wait for more but sleep well first!

Just back from a great week at the GF. We stayed in the main building. The GF is so beautiful and relaxing. It was hot so we spent afternoons at both pools. We did rent a cabana two days. Ate at 1900 park faire, grand floridian cafe and narcoose. Everything was very nice. I can try to answer any questions if you have any. Thanks!!

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed RPC :wizard:.

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the GF. Looking forward to your review :).

Ok, I'm gonna just ask. Someone shared a post on Facebook that mentioned being careful at Disney cause YUCK Bed Bugs and they hitch a ride home and take over your house! So, then I googled (yup bad idea.) anyway, I did find a thread on Dis that was quite unnerving. Apparently Disney was pretty much ignoring it back on 2010 and then only doing things like bumping up the heat for 12 hours and clearly NOT taking care of the issue. Even saying it's fleas cause that is actually better.
One poster mentioned there were like 3 people within 24 hours they tried to put in a Known infested room! Apparently they Won't take a rooms out of commission for this. In about sick to my stomach thinking about this.
I cannot afford to pay for de-bugging our house nor buying new mattresses/beds furniture.
We will need to replace the roof withon 5 years we have that budgeted not To comeback from a week at Disney and deal with Months and Months of paying to Try and get rid of blood suckers.
We have three young children and this is to be their first trip I'd hate to Have that ruined.

Anyone have experiences or what do you do? I've heard Don't Put shoes or anything on floor (then how do you get around the room? Hot lava or fly? ) check everything in the room ,and whatever you do don't go into your house when you get home, change in the garage and put clothes I. Sealed bags (the whole time don't just put in luggage. You should put all dirty in sealed bags inside your luggage while keeping the packed in sealed bags and then the luggage in a giant garbage bag sealed and leave everything in sealed bags out in the garage
When you do go to wash your clothes throw them in Super hot water in and then in Hot dryer for at least half an hour (my experience is this kind of ruins clothes so why not just throw them out ?) Am I missing something? This is like dwebing me out!

I know I haven't been out since a month before the baby was born so I'm a little on edge lol (Rare blood clot found in the Inferior vena cava in my chest the day after we got home.) Everyone was concerned it would get loose and travel to my heart or lung or brain and I wouldn't be close enough to the hospital to make it. My husband and parents convinced me to just stay home. And frankly I didn't care just wanted to spend all the time I could holding my children and with our family. It was really scary and my children are to young to understand)

I'm sorry this is so long. I hope it's clear. Like I said getting a little stir crazy here lol

Ok, I'm gonna just ask. Someone shared a post on Facebook that mentioned being careful at Disney cause YUCK Bed Bugs and they hitch a ride home and take over your house! So, then I googled (yup bad idea.) anyway, I did find a thread on Dis that was quite unnerving. Apparently Disney was pretty much ignoring it back on 2010 and then only doing things like bumping up the heat for 12 hours and clearly NOT taking care of the issue. Even saying it's fleas cause that is actually better.
One poster mentioned there were like 3 people within 24 hours they tried to put in a Known infested room! Apparently they Won't take a rooms out of commission for this. In about sick to my stomach thinking about this.
I cannot afford to pay for de-bugging our house nor buying new mattresses/beds furniture.
We will need to replace the roof withon 5 years we have that budgeted not To comeback from a week at Disney and deal with Months and Months of paying to Try and get rid of blood suckers.
We have three young children and this is to be their first trip I'd hate to Have that ruined.

Anyone have experiences or what do you do? I've heard Don't Put shoes or anything on floor (then how do you get around the room? Hot lava or fly? ) check everything in the room ,and whatever you do don't go into your house when you get home, change in the garage and put clothes I. Sealed bags (the whole time don't just put in luggage. You should put all dirty in sealed bags inside your luggage while keeping the packed in sealed bags and then the luggage in a giant garbage bag sealed and leave everything in sealed bags out in the garage
When you do go to wash your clothes throw them in Super hot water in and then in Hot dryer for at least half an hour (my experience is this kind of ruins clothes so why not just throw them out ?) Am I missing something? This is like dwebing me out!

I know I haven't been out since a month before the baby was born so I'm a little on edge lol (Rare blood clot found in the Inferior vena cava in my chest the day after we got home.) Everyone was concerned it would get loose and travel to my heart or lung or brain and I wouldn't be close enough to the hospital to make it. My husband and parents convinced me to just stay home. And frankly I didn't care just wanted to spend all the time I could holding my children and with our family. It was really scary and my children are to young to understand)

I'm sorry this is so long. I hope it's clear. Like I said getting a little stir crazy here lol
So you are worried about something that may have happened 7 years ago?

The most expensive hotels can have bedbugs. The Grand Floridian included.

When you get to your room, check it. I'm sure in all of your searching, you've found how to check. That is all you can do.

And honestly, you are probably more likely to get bedbugs through your airline and everyone's bag than you are from your hotel.

So you are worried about something that may have happened 7 years ago?

The most expensive hotels can have bedbugs. The Grand Floridian included.

When you get to your room, check it. I'm sure in all of your searching, you've found how to check. That is all you can do.

And honestly, you are probably more likely to get bedbugs through your airline and everyone's bag than you are from your hotel.

Only cause I'm wondering if they are still handling it the same.

We would be driving down. Going with my mother and she is Not fond of flying (every take off in the past she has closed her eyes tight and grip the seat for dear life)

If I was not in a car I would answer more but hope someone pops in.

Last edited:
Only cause I'm wondering if they are still handleing it the same.

We would be driving down. Going with my mother and she is Not fond of flying (every take off in the past she's close her eyes and grip the seat for dear life)
Either way, you are reading about something someone said, 7 years ago.

If you look at any hotel, in the past decade, chances are they had at least one instance of bedbugs. It happens.

No one can guarantee that your room will be perfect. But a simply check, and you should be fine.

Either way, you are reading about something someone said, 7 years ago.

If you look at any hotel, in the past decade, chances are they had at least one instance of bedbugs. It happens.

No one can guarantee that your room will be perfect. But a simply check, and you should be fine.
Yes, but after you check the mattress seams and the boxspring a bit and behind the pictures ect... and use the lint roller (not using a maxi pad like one person lol ) and say you don't find anything. Then what? Do you do all these things they recommend? Do you keep your luggage in a bag? Keep your shoes where? How do get around the room?
I'm Seriously asking. What do YOU do to avoid a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter