(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it recommended that old magic bands be deactivated?
Yes, the way it was explained to me by a VGF cast member was something like this. All your magic bands should work. They are all tied to your My Disney Experience. However, some applications, like maybe hotel room doors, for example, might just load the 10 most recent Magic Bands in order to have less data to transfer and make it faster to get into your room. So maybe the first 10 magic bands, say, are in a cache that is quick to get to, and the rest are not. I don't know if this is the case, but it makes sense.

Interesting and good to know! I will have to do that before our trip in a few months.

Yes, the way it was explained to me by a VGF cast member was something like this. All your magic bands should work. They are all tied to your My Disney Experience. However, some applications, like maybe hotel room doors, for example, might just load the 10 most recent Magic Bands in order to have less data to transfer and make it faster to get into your room. So maybe the first 10 magic bands, say, are in a cache that is quick to get to, and the rest are not. I don't know if this is the case, but it makes sense.

I’ve been told multiple reasons for all of the problems by various concierge and front desk CMs over the years, and read even more reasons on here. But regardless of the reason, it does appear that if you have an excess of MBs it can wreck havoc on your ability to open your door or activate elevators. We’ve always been able to charge and get in the parks, but had trouble at the resorts. I’ve also been told that deactivating them doesn’t help, you have to have IT actually remove them, but I always figure deactivating them can’t hurt.

I’ve been told multiple reasons for all of the problems by various concierge and front desk CMs over the years, and read even more reasons on here. But regardless of the reason, it does appear that if you have an excess of MBs it can wreck havoc on your ability to open your door or activate elevators. We’ve always been able to charge and get in the parks, but had trouble at the resorts. I’ve also been told that deactivating them doesn’t help, you have to have IT actually remove them, but I always figure deactivating them can’t hurt.
This! I had been deactivating and after multiple issues (and a new MDE account) I was told to call and remove bands. I printed out a list and purged 20+ bands and cards from my account. Smooth sailing since then! :boat:

This! I had been deactivating and after multiple issues (and a new MDE account) I was told to call and remove bands. I printed out a list and purged 20+ bands and cards from my account. Smooth sailing since then! :boat:
You mean you printed out a list of the numbers of the bands and cards and then called, read that entire list to someone, and they removed them? What number did you call? I have something like 53 MBs under justy name, plus my DH and 4 kids. In addition, b fire this last update, I also had 20 some cards showing, I’m not even sure what they were! I could, at minimum, remove all of the MB1s from my account, I know I won’t use them!

You mean you printed out a list of the numbers of the bands and cards and then called, read that entire list to someone, and they removed them? What number did you call? I have something like 53 MBs under justy name, plus my DH and 4 kids. In addition, b fire this last update, I also had 20 some cards showing, I’m not even sure what they were! I could, at minimum, remove all of the MB1s from my account, I know I won’t use them!
That is exactly what I did! I purged all 1.0 bands (like you mentioned), all 2.0 bands from 2017, and old AP cards and MNSSHP/MVMCP cards. I am under 20 bands and cards now! :)

I called the WDW Internet Help Desk (407-939-4357‬). The CMs were very patient and would confirm the color of the band before removing it. I repeated it for my family members (after they authorized me since they have their own accounts). The bands were gone immediately. Good luck!

That is exactly what I did! I purged all 1.0 bands (like you mentioned), all 2.0 bands from 2017, and old AP cards and MNSSHP/MVMCP cards. I am under 20 bands and cards now! :)

I called the WDW Internet Help Desk (407-939-4357‬). The CMs were very patient and would confirm the color of the band before removing it. I repeated it for my family members (after they authorized me since they have their own accounts). The bands were gone immediately. Good luck!
I should probably do this, but uggg, I can only imagine how long that phone call is going to be! But we have a three way split stay coming up, so it’s ripe for having band door/elevator problems, and I’m tired of going to the concierge CMs and have them tell me things like “Disney only expects you to have 1 magic band at a time”, which is what the CM at the BC told me last year when I had problems. I asked her why they sold so many specialty ones and she didn’t have an answer. I don’t want to use only one band per trip, that’s why I get fun coordinating covers for all of us and also have bought some special ones we like- I want to interchange them based on park or outfits!

I should probably do this, but uggg, I can only imagine how long that phone call is going to be! But we have a three way split stay coming up, so it’s ripe for having band door/elevator problems, and I’m tired of going to the concierge CMs and have them tell me things like “Disney only expects you to have 1 magic band at a time”, which is what the CM at the BC told me last year when I had problems. I asked her why they sold so many specialty ones and she didn’t have an answer. I don’t want to use only one band per trip, that’s why I get fun coordinating covers for all of us and also have bought some special ones we like- I want to interchange them based on park or outfits!
Yeah, the splits really help the bands add up. I got fed up when I needed to access my room with a card and would never get room assignments via text/MDE because I had to always go to the front desk since the system knew there was a band issue. I will say it took about 25 minutes just for my account. Lots of numbers/letters in those band IDs! HAHA

Ugh, how frustrating. You make such an excellent point. Why sell me something I am not supposed to use? I would rather them just be honest and say MDE is finicky and we have to call IT when someone is a repeat guest. The front desk at CSR once told me I had "too much information in my account" and that I "visited WDW too frequently." I was like oh sorry, let me stop vacationing here :confused3

Yeah, the splits really help the bands add up. I got fed up when I needed to access my room with a card and would never get room assignments via text/MDE because I had to always go to the front desk since the system knew there was a band issue. I will say it took about 25 minutes just for my account. Lots of numbers/letters in those band IDs! HAHA

Ugh, how frustrating. You make such an excellent point. Why sell me something I am not supposed to use? I would rather them just be honest and say MDE is finicky and we have to call IT when someone is a repeat guest. The front desk at CSR once told me I had "too much information in my account" and that I "visited WDW too frequently." I was like oh sorry, let me stop vacationing here :confused3
Yes! They told my DH on the phone once that we had too much info in our account because each resort reservation, ADR, extra event, etc added to it. Plus any changes made to ANY of those!. he was actually a little annoyed with me after that call! They really need to have CMs stop telling us that, because the obvious solution is go less and make less plans and extras when you do go! I’m sorry, did my 3 way club level split stay, 4 cabana reservations, multitude of character meals, dessert parties, EMMs, DAHs, special MBs, etc cause too much info for your site to handle? Well, how much extra info would a trip to Maui or the Caribbean save from going on your site if we just went there??! (Insert heavy sarcasm for all of that). Give me a break, get IT and websites that work!!

Ok, off my soapbox. I’ve been on too many lately, I need to get a hobby :D.

Yes! They told my DH on the phone once that we had too much info in our account because each resort reservation, ADR, extra event, etc added to it. Plus any changes made to ANY of those!. he was actually a little annoyed with me after that call! They really need to have CMs stop telling us that, because the obvious solution is go less and make less plans and extras when you do go! I’m sorry, did my 3 way club level split stay, 4 cabana reservations, multitude of character meals, dessert parties, EMMs, DAHs, special MBs, etc cause too much info for your site to handle? Well, how much extra info would a trip to Maui or the Caribbean save from going on your site if we just went there??! (Insert heavy sarcasm for all of that). Give me a break, get IT and websites that work!!

Ok, off my soapbox. I’ve been on too many lately, I need to get a hobby :D.
Yes, well said! I am always paranoid about the changes I make because I don't want my account to crash again :sad2:

No worries, I will join you on your soapbox with this issue LOL

How noisy are first floor rooms? I would rather avoid using the elevator. We have an outer building and I will prob request Conch Key. Touring plans shows first floor as nosiy. We wont be using the room for daytime naps.I know the view is better high up but we will not be in the room that often. Is there a patio?

How noisy are first floor rooms? I would rather avoid using the elevator. We have an outer building and I will prob request Conch Key. Touring plans shows first floor as nosiy. We wont be using the room for daytime naps.I know the view is better high up but we will not be in the room that often. Is there a patio?

I can’t answer regarding noise. But first floor rooms have a patio that is essentially the same as the balconies. They have the railings so you can’t access them from outside.

I wear a dole whip magic band . So if you see me say hey! I arrive Thurs and heading to rpc for a sparkling! Ds has 2 exams left for community college and will be done Tues. Ds and dh arrive Saturday.

I get 2 days with dd who lives 5 hours away from us. We wear coordinating Lilly Pulitzer outfits at WDW. We have been matching since she was little. (We don’t do this at HOME! Just WDW)

Feels good to have everything wrapped up , doesn’t it? Get packing!
That sounds like a fun magic band to have!

Started packing!
Trying to figure out what I’m forgetting to pack...

Should I be packing our ponchos????
The forecast looks really dry compared to previous years.

It’s the kids’ last day of school here.

I was hesitant about a first floor room when I was last at GF after having a horrible experience with one at Poly.
I really liked it and would do it again at GF. It was nice not having to wait for an elevator. I didn’t find it to be noisy at all.
It helped to be in Boca Chica and looking out at the water.

One question:
We are staying at the GF Villas (can’t wait to have us all in 1 area rather than 2 different but connecting rooms) - should we do the on-line check in that is on the my Disney experience?

Or just wait until we arrive?

Started packing!

It's always exciting to start the packing process! I always take ponchos just in case. I actually just leave them in our suitcases so I don't forget them when packing. Have a great trip :wizard:.

One question:
We are staying at the GF Villas (can’t wait to have us all in 1 area rather than 2 different but connecting rooms) - should we do the on-line check in that is on the my Disney experience?

I've never done OCI as I like checking in at the resort, but that's just my personal preference :).

One question:

Is the room request feature of on-line check in even working - it’s often not.
Since you arrive in 2 days (pixiedust:) your villa is likely already assigned. I’ve read they assign rooms/villas @ all resorts 3-5 days before arrival. The villas at the GF are very popular, so there’s not much ability to move you once your villa is assigned.
Typically I’ll call to make any location/view requests I have. I do online check in, leaving the room request blank so as to not override my phone location request, to up the chance of getting a text with my villa number so I can skip checking in at the desk in the VGF lobby, so far w/ VGF I’ve not gotten the text, but I keep trying :)
Enjoy your stay!

That sounds like a fun magic band to have!

Started packing!

How exciting!:banana: I always pack them in hopes not to use them. Have a great trip! Double excitement that today is the last day of school.:jumping1:

It's always exciting to start the packing process! I always take ponchos just in case. I actually just leave them in our suitcases so I don't forget them when packing. Have a great trip :wizard:.

I've never done OCI as I like checking in at the resort, but that's just my personal preference :).

OMG! I do the same thing...my DH went on a business trip, I wasn't around when he packed and he took the ponchos with him..:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter