Disney's Parks Chief Bob Chapek Emerges as Strong Contender to Succeed Iger

I just don't think not having any experience with entertainment makes him not the right candidate.
I agree with you when you say there are better options within the company than Chapek. I have never gotten a good vibe about him and I don't think I ever will. I am not totally sure, but I have always been under the impression that Chapek may have been the reason Meg Crofton left the company and to me she could have been very important to Disney in the future. I know there are many mixed feelings about her from some people, but she had a ton of experience and I think she really could have helped the company in the long run. I also have to wonder if George Kalogridis will ever be named a top candidate. I'm not sure how I would feel about that either, but personally I think he's better than Chapek.

I agree with you when you say there are better options within the company than Chapek. I have never gotten a good vibe about him and I don't think I ever will. I am not totally sure, but I have always been under the impression that Chapek may have been the reason Meg Crofton left the company and to me she could have been very important to Disney in the future. I know there are many mixed feelings about her from some people, but she had a ton of experience and I think she really could have helped the company in the long run. I also have to wonder if George Kalogridis will ever be named a top candidate. I'm not sure how I would feel about that either, but personally I think he's better than Chapek.
George has never been a major exec. He’s always been in park operations.

As far as the D23...there wasn't a single announcement that disappointed me in Parks & Resorts, everything seemed exciting and wise. Not one that said to me..the parks are going off the rails!!! Even as the west coast got very little they gave us what we wanted the VERY most, which was to keep PTN. And he knew it as he said it.
Max Pass has proven a huge hit for us, a great blend of FP. The GOTG became a major hit and its overlay was even more popular. The DL commercials have been knocking it out of the park!!
Yes, I have fears like, where will all the SW people go but... the parks seem like they are safe. Now, I don't know about running the rest of the company. Maybe that's where people have concerns.
His dept has been profitable and has a mountain of future line up. Even if people under him did that, well whatever, that's fine. I am definitely fine with him continuing in his current post, I will say that.
Are there people unhappy with him in his current post? I would love to hear the reasons.

Last edited:
Okay, this is not getting anywhere that if I can trust him if he's chosen. I mean, I have some concerns too even I was overreacting. My biggest concern is if he's chosen, what is he going to do with the company? Is he going to respect Walt Disney's legacy like famous classics? Or will he become the next Michael Eisner? I have nothing against him, I just have trust issues with business people at Disney. But I'm very curious. rteetz, mind ask you a question? Do you have a good reason to not trust Bob Chapek?

Okay, this is not getting anywhere that if I can trust him if he's chosen. I mean, I have some concerns too even I was overreacting. My biggest concern is if he's chosen, what is he going to do with the company? Is he going to respect Walt Disney's legacy like famous classics? Or will he become the next Michael Eisner? I have nothing against him, I just have trust issues with business people at Disney. But I'm very curious. rteetz, mind ask you a question? Do you have a good reason to not trust Bob Chapek?
I don’t know if trust is the right term. Each CEO is different and is known for different things. Eisner made Disney huge. Iger reigned it in and made some great acquisitions. Personally I think Eisner was better for the parks. Iger hasn’t been bad but let them sit for nearly his first 10 years. We don’t know what Chapek would be like but personally I’d rather see someone from the media/entertainment side of things take over.

I don’t know if trust is the right term. Each CEO is different and is known for different things. Eisner made Disney huge. Iger reigned it in and made some great acquisitions. Personally I think Eisner was better for the parks. Iger hasn’t been bad but let them sit for nearly his first 10 years. We don’t know what Chapek would be like but personally I’d rather see someone from the media/entertainment side of things take over.
I love that you can see the good in Eisner. I always feel so bad for him because yes he messed up but he did a lot for the parks and it always gets forgotten because of how he went out in the end

I love that you can see the good in Eisner. I always feel so bad for him because yes he messed up but he did a lot for the parks and it always gets forgotten because of how he went out in the end
Eisner will never be forgotten. He is a huge and pivotal figure in Disney history. History will be kind to him I think. I know I'm very thankful for how he and Wells and Katzenberg saved the company.

Eisner will never be forgotten. He is a huge and pivotal figure in Disney history. History will be kind to him I think. I know I'm very thankful for how he and Wells and Katzenberg saved the company.
Could not agree more. I wish there was a candidate with the same passion he had when he came in. I have to wonder if Ben Sherwood's name will be thrown around a bit. He has been VERY successful with ABC and I think if Disney took someone from the media aspect of the company he'd be great. I think the next CEO will rely heavily on the executives within the company for help.

I suppose Ben Sherwood might be a fine choice. He's so much better than that wicked witch of the west, Anne Sweeney. But that's just me.:rolleyes1

Murdoch is supposedly also one of the speculated named for CEO.
I saw that this morning too: http://fortune.com/2017/12/06/disney-fox-deal-james-murdoch-ceo-bob-iger/ Interesting development. I've been watching the news for how Disney is structuring the merger in terms of financing. Speculation is that this will be an all stock deal, with Fox shareholders getting at least a 1:1 exchange with the possibility of additional Disney stock. No idea who owns controlling interests in Fox, but safe to say that those interests will get a seat at the table of deciding who runs Disney after Iger. The deal clouds the future on the CEO position - and could for sometime if it runs into antitrust scrutiny (wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up having to name an interim CEO in 2019 when Iger steps down if the details are still working themselves out on this deal).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter