Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

So relieved, thanks! Our last stay was Beach Club/AKL Kidani split. Glad you really like POR after staying at BC last visit. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

We stayed at BC in Feb and POR in June. Other than the walk to Epcot, we totally preferred POR. We're contemplating a BWI/POR split next time. POR first, to do MK & AK, since we'd have to bus there anyway, then BWI for Epcot and HS.

I'll refrain from posting MY opinions in the future.

Everyone's opinion is very welcome here, please don't be put off. Differing viewpoints and experiences are what makes the world interesting. Also, they are really useful for new visitors to get an idea of any issues that they too might encounter, and also hopefully provide some insight into what they might be able to do to mitigate them. As Sue just said though, problems generally can't be fixed after you get home.

Andre

Last edited:
Quick report on our stay 6/3-11.

Our flight arrived at 8:50AM, ME to hotel, and then right to the bus to AK. We got our room ready text at 11:53 AM Acadian House 8216. This was very disappointing because we had requested AB for the extra bed. Yes, yes, I know it is just a request (and if I could afford deluxe I would do that but I can't) but I have a 14 yo boy and everyone else in the party is female and we are not into boys and girls sleeping together. He ended up sleeping with grandma anyway because he did not want to sleep on the hard floor. Our room was categorized as garden view and per the map on Andre's sight was the first/last room in this category on this side of the building. I would say this was a total misnomer because the view was way more parking lot with a tree off to the side. I am calling this a total ripoff. We thought the walk to the food court was long especially after hours of walking in the parks. We used the North Depot and our luck with busses was not great. We would see 2 or 3 for every park except the one we were going to visit.

We arrived back to our room on arrival day at 4:30 and our luggage had not been delivered. Called bell services and they said the luggage was at the resort and would be delivered. We were still waiting 45 minutes later and I was stuck hanging out sitting on the toilet because I took a shower and had no clean clothes. We had dinner reservations at Disney Springs for 7 so this was getting ridiculous. Called bell services again and they said they would get it to us. It showed up about 15 minutes later and we all made a mad dash to change for dinner.

Our room was a bit on the dingy side. The curtain separating the bathroom had 2 large stains on it. Also, the wall area next to the dresser had some stains. Our housekeeper was not very good at her job and we spent the week watching a spot of chocolate on the table that never got wiped up. Yes, we could have done it ourselves when we finally noticed but the point is that she obviously did not dust or wipe the table at all. We only got soap and other items replenished once at mid-week. Good thing I had some small bottles of shampoo in my bag.

We only used the pool once because of all the rain. The food court could get busy and not all the CM's were friendly but we had no complaints on the food we ate. The coffee is abominable. It would be nice if there were more than one diet/zero soda option.

I think I am over the very large, spread out resorts. As much as I like the queen beds I think we will stick with Pop for our next trip. It's going to be a girl's trip for my niece so we can deal with the smaller beds.

Everyone has their thing-- I find it very frustrating when housekeeping is not "on it." We tip very well with housekeeping to try to encourage them, although we have found that tipping seems to have nothing to do with performance! We returned home late Friday night from an excellent houskeeping experience at POR. There were some slight imperfections (i.e. I used a wipe that I brought from home to completely clean the inside of the refridgerator when we arrived), but our sheets were changed every day. I say changed because they were white and my kids would always get something on them like a dot of chocolate which would drive me crazy and every day the beds would be pristine again. The extra fold up bed was also completely redone every day. This seemed above and beyond to me but it was very nice. All very early in the day. Some days we were already back at the room for a mid day break around 12:30 and we were surprised to find the rooms already done. We always had extra towels, given new shampoo and soap every day. I always wipe down surfaces with wipes so I am not sure about whether or not that was done. We have learned over the years to call in to housekeeping if we do not receive things. And also to call if the room is not done by a certain time. We are gentle when we call but we do call. We learned this after our last time staying at GF about 6 years ago where the housekeeping was just awful. The room was never done until around 5pm and you are actually supposed to have turn down service there, or you were about 6 years ago, because the year before we had stayed there and there was turn down service. Well, we did not get it that year because we did not even have housekeeping at all until the evening! And it wasn't great either. Now my husband will never stay there again because of that housekeeping exerience, even though i think it was a bit random and had nothing to do with the particular resort. We did around day 3 ask the housekeeper if she could get to the room earlier and she got very upset with us and told us that she worked at all star in the morning and came to do rooms at GF later in the day. Very strange situation. We felt badly for her and never complained, but that experience was a turning point for us. We realized after just dealing with it during the vacation that we would have been better off complaining and that maybe she would have been better off because obviously her working conditions needed to be addressed. But I am more proactive now and call at the first instance of something being off. I do not want my husband to cross any more resorts off our list! Last summer at BC they forgot shAmpoo etc one day and I called housekeeping right away. Ten minutes later they were at our room with a bag of the stuff! Very pleasant about it too.

Everyone has their thing-- I find it very frustrating when housekeeping is not "on it." We tip very well with housekeeping to try to encourage them, although we have found that tipping seems to have nothing to do with performance! We returned home late Friday night from an excellent houskeeping experience at POR. There were some slight imperfections (i.e. I used a wipe that I brought from home to completely clean the inside of the refridgerator when we arrived), but our sheets were changed every day. I say changed because they were white and my kids would always get something on them like a dot of chocolate which would drive me crazy and every day the beds would be pristine again. The extra fold up bed was also completely redone every day. This seemed above and beyond to me but it was very nice. All very early in the day. Some days we were already back at the room for a mid day break around 12:30 and we were surprised to find the rooms already done. We always had extra towels, given new shampoo and soap every day. I always wipe down surfaces with wipes so I am not sure about whether or not that was done. We have learned over the years to call in to housekeeping if we do not receive things. And also to call if the room is not done by a certain time. We are gentle when we call but we do call. We learned this after our last time staying at GF about 6 years ago where the housekeeping was just awful. The room was never done until around 5pm and you are actually supposed to have turn down service there, or you were about 6 years ago, because the year before we had stayed there and there was turn down service. Well, we did not get it that year because we did not even have housekeeping at all until the evening! And it wasn't great either. Now my husband will never stay there again because of that housekeeping exerience, even though i think it was a bit random and had nothing to do with the particular resort. We did around day 3 ask the housekeeper if she could get to the room earlier and she got very upset with us and told us that she worked at all star in the morning and came to do rooms at GF later in the day. Very strange situation. We felt badly for her and never complained, but that experience was a turning point for us. We realized after just dealing with it during the vacation that we would have been better off complaining and that maybe she would have been better off because obviously her working conditions needed to be addressed. But I am more proactive now and call at the first instance of something being off. I do not want my husband to cross any more resorts off our list! Last summer at BC they forgot shAmpoo etc one day and I called housekeeping right away. Ten minutes later they were at our room with a bag of the stuff! Very pleasant about it too.

:( I had assumed housekeepers worked in a particular area, like if you worked at ASMusic, you'd maybe also work at ASSports + Movies since they're all together, but not GF. I'd feel badly for her, too.

The situation at GF sounds less than ideal, but since it was so long ago, there's probably a chance it's been addressed and fixed (especially if this was routine -- I am sure others would've complained). I think recently I'd read that GF is the only deluxe that automatically does turn-down service (still, now). It was part of a larger discussion on turn-down service and how technically all deluxes offer it, but you have to call and request at any deluxe besides GF. So, sounds like you had an unlucky stay that time, but I hope you can convince your husband to give it another shot!

The housekeeping you describe at POR is impressive! Glad to hear it :)

FYI about GF, it was random. I've had 3 stays in the past 4 yrs, and housekeeping has been great. And turndown service every night.

I am super excited for my next POR stay! I did a split stay at Beach Club and POR last year and strongly preferred POR! I will never use the Disney bus service again though. I matter where I stay. Just too miserable of a wait every time I have tried it. Especially end of park day with crabby kids. I've never waited less than 45 minutes for a bus At POR in either direction...

I am super excited for my next POR stay! I did a split stay at Beach Club and POR last year and strongly preferred POR! I will never use the Disney bus service again though. I matter where I stay. Just too miserable of a wait every time I have tried it. Especially end of park day with crabby kids. I've never waited less than 45 minutes for a bus At POR in either direction...

This is good to hear! We were on the fence this time between POR and BC, but decided to do POR for our September trip. I've been through the resort when we stayed at FQ but never actually stayed there. What did you like better about it than BC? I ask because BC is high on my list for our next trip. Thanks!

We are coming back home to Port Orleans Riverside in November * pause for a moment of excitement * and I have a quick question for you. Our flight arrives late, 10:15 p.m., and I expect we would arrive at POR no earlier than 11:30 and more likely midnight. Will there be any food options open to us at this time? When does the food court close? Also, I would love to hear any of your experiences arriving this late. Thank you in advance!

We are coming back home to Port Orleans Riverside in November * pause for a moment of excitement * and I have a quick question for you. Our flight arrives late, 10:15 p.m., and I expect we would arrive at POR no earlier than 11:30 and more likely midnight. Will there be any food options open to us at this time? When does the food court close? Also, I would love to hear any of your experiences arriving this late. Thank you in advance!

If you get to the hotel before midnight, there will be some stuff open (the pizza shop, and bakery), but you'd want to go get the food as quick as you got there. Midnight is the cut off point. I don't think I've flown in that late before, sorry I can't be of more help...

This is good to hear! We were on the fence this time between POR and BC, but decided to do POR for our September trip. I've been through the resort when we stayed at FQ but never actually stayed there. What did you like better about it than BC? I ask because BC is high on my list for our next trip. Thanks!

I just felt POR was so peaceful, scenic. BC was great for a walk to Epcot but the QS was terrible. The biggest thing was we all felt Stormalong Bay was a giant disappointment and highly overrated so I didn't see "the point" in spending the extra cash in BC aside from the walk to Epcot. I have stayed at Poly and will stay there again for my next Deluxe stay - to me, the monorail is worth the extra money but a walk was not...

If you get to the hotel before midnight, there will be some stuff open (the pizza shop, and bakery), but you'd want to go get the food as quick as you got there. Midnight is the cut off point. I don't think I've flown in that late before, sorry I can't be of more help...

You are a great help! We may just grab a quick bite before checking in, thanks for the heads up!

We're booked for June 9-16 at POR- yippee! Our dog has had some anxiety when we've boarded her and gone out of town the two times since our other dog passed away- once she would hardly eat and lost weight, the other time she tried to jump and escape and almost injured herself. They were always together so I guess she was used to that, though she is fine being at home for the day without us. We figured we'd use Best Friends to keep her during our trip and check in on her. Does anyone know if she is allowed to be on property at POR, like for a walk maybe on our down day?

...We figured we'd use Best Friends to keep her during our trip and check in on her. Does anyone know if she is allowed to be on property at POR, like for a walk maybe on our down day?

With the exception of service animals, I'm pretty sure pets are not allowed at the resort. I would think you could check in at Best Friends, but remember that you'd have to either have a car or arrange transportation. Since you're there a week, I would think renting a car makes the most sense...

We're booked for June 9-16 at POR- yippee! Our dog has had some anxiety when we've boarded her and gone out of town the two times since our other dog passed away- once she would hardly eat and lost weight, the other time she tried to jump and escape and almost injured herself. They were always together so I guess she was used to that, though she is fine being at home for the day without us. We figured we'd use Best Friends to keep her during our trip and check in on her. Does anyone know if she is allowed to be on property at POR, like for a walk maybe on our down day?

I've heard mixed reviews re: Best Friends to board animals...I would make sure when you're there you're getting exactly what they tell you you're getting and ask to see where your dog will be staying. :) Just some advice...

Well, it's done...POR Preferred room package for October 19-27 2018 booked. Online booking became available and I hate uncertainty so I pulled the trigger with DH was sitting here next to me approving the decision. We have been discussing resorts for at least six months. First time at a moderate (for us anyway). Done Deluxe and Value. Time to add a countdown...

Well, it's done...POR Preferred room package for October 19-27 2018 booked. Online booking became available and I hate uncertainty so I pulled the trigger with DH was sitting here next to me approving the decision. We have been discussing resorts for at least six months. First time at a moderate (for us anyway). Done Deluxe and Value. Time to add a countdown...
We booked Oct 2018 this morning, too! We're staying the 13-20 in a Royal room. We've never stayed at POR, but we are really excited to try it!

With the exception of service animals, I'm pretty sure pets are not allowed at the resort. I would think you could check in at Best Friends, but remember that you'd have to either have a car or arrange transportation. Since you're there a week, I would think renting a car makes the most sense...

We will be driving so we will have our car. We figured it would be easy to pop in to check on her since POR is so close.

I've heard mixed reviews re: Best Friends to board animals...I would make sure when you're there you're getting exactly what they tell you you're getting and ask to see where your dog will be staying. :) Just some advice...

Really? What kind of bad things have you heard? I checked the website and it looked nice. The place here we have always used is AKC certified, very clean, has packages where you can add extra play time and treats, etc. and there is a vet right next door. They walk and play several times a day anyway, you can bring your own food but they provide high quality options too. What kind of things should I ask or look for? At least we have a year to work it out. TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter