Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We stayed in a Royal Room with a Woods View last year and absolutely loved it - it didn't make it feel like a motel at all (though I can see how it might if you were in standard view/facing the parking lot instead). It was peaceful and quiet and we had a lot of lush greenery outside our door.

Thanks, I've been to the parks off and on for 20 years, so I'm not too concerned, but the friend I am bringing has rarely traveled and never gone to Disney or any theme park before, so I'd like everything to be nice for her. I'm not telling her where we are going. She knows Disney AK, but that's it, and that really means nothing to her. I'm hoping she will be pleasantly surprised. She mentioned loving the feel of Savanna, so hopefully, I can deliver.

Thanks, I've been to the parks off and on for 20 years, so I'm not too concerned, but the friend I am bringing has rarely traveled and never gone to Disney or any theme park before, so I'd like everything to be nice for her. I'm not telling her where we are going. She knows Disney AK, but that's it, and that really means nothing to her. I'm hoping she will be pleasantly surprised. She mentioned loving the feel of Savanna, so hopefully, I can deliver.

You sound like a great friend! A Royal Room is a great option for a first timer - they are just so very "Disney."

A bit off topic but since you mentioned her liking the feel of the Savanna, have you consider booking a meal at Sanaa at AKL? We usually try to book the first lunch seating of the day so we can request a window seat overlooking the Savanna....

You sound like a great friend! A Royal Room is a great option for a first timer - they are just so very "Disney."

A bit off topic but since you mentioned her liking the feel of the Savanna, have you consider booking a meal at Sanaa at AKL? We usually try to book the first lunch seating of the day so we can request a window seat overlooking the Savanna....
🤣 No sorry, not the savanna as in the place in Africa, but Savannah as in Savannah, Georgia which I probably spelled wrong. I'm a horrible speller. Port Royal from the pictures I have seen looks similar to walking around Savannah, Georgia, and we talked about going there before we settled on Disney. She mentioned liking the older southern architecture, so I'm hoping she will like it.

Personally, I love AKs African inspired restaurants. They are our favorite, but I think for this trip we will probably be sticking to quick service, except maybe a meal in Disney Springs. Table Service has just gotten too expensive. This is such a last minute trip, I'll just have to see what I can throw together.

I think we will probably do some resort hopping because I know she would enjoy seeing the decor in some of the hotels. I might try to time a visit with a meal and fireworks or something like that. We've done Wilderness Lodge for the geyser and electrical water pageant before, so that might be an option or not sure if you can still watch the fireworks from the poly beach, that might be fun since we won't be going to MK.

🤣 No sorry, not the savanna as in the place in Africa, but Savannah as in Savannah, Georgia which I probably spelled wrong. I'm a horrible speller. Port Royal from the pictures I have seen looks similar to walking around Savannah, Georgia, and we talked about going there before we settled on Disney. She mentioned liking the older southern architecture, so I'm hoping she will like it.

Personally, I love AKs African inspired restaurants. They are our favorite, but I think for this trip we will probably be sticking to quick service, except maybe a meal in Disney Springs. Table Service has just gotten too expensive. This is such a last minute trip, I'll just have to see what I can throw together.

I think we will probably do some resort hopping because I know she would enjoy seeing the decor in some of the hotels. I might try to time a visit with a meal and fireworks or something like that. We've done Wilderness Lodge for the geyser and electrical water pageant before, so that might be an option or not sure if you can still watch the fireworks from the poly beach, that might be fun since we won't be going to MK.

Sorry- I think I must have assumed that because of the mention of AK right beforehand!
If you are planning a possible TS meal at Disney Springs it's such a relaxing/fun visit to go by boat from POR!

You can still watch the fireworks from the Poly beach - best chance is just to go to the Poly directly from MK (either by monorail or by boat) then you won't have to deal with the guard and it is more of a fun event anyway. We love arriving by boat in the evening as it is so relaxing, then getting a Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai and walking to the beach, then we take the monorail back to the MK and a bus back to the resort from there. (We look at the boat and monorail as attractions in themselves).

Sorry- I think I must have assumed that because of the mention of AK right beforehand!
If you are planning a possible TS meal at Disney Springs it's such a relaxing/fun visit to go by boat from POR!

You can still watch the fireworks from the Poly beach - best chance is just to go to the Poly directly from MK (either by monorail or by boat) then you won't have to deal with the guard and it is more of a fun event anyway. We love arriving by boat in the evening as it is so relaxing, then getting a Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai and walking to the beach, then we take the monorail back to the MK and a bus back to the resort from there. (We look at the boat and monorail as attractions in themselves).
Haven't planned anything for sure yet, but I was thinking maybe go to Disney Springs for early dinner then take whatever transportation there is from there to Poly and watch the fireworks. Maybe get dessert? We might do dinner at Poly instead, though. I'm not sure. I was looking at some Table Service prices last night, and they weren't as bad as I originally thought. I had seen that the character meal at AK is now around $60 and was thinking all table service was up around $50 or more now, but it looks like that's not the case. We can definitely do table service at $30.

My assumption was Port Orleans to Disney Springs and Disney Springs to other resort was going to be the easiest, but maybe not? We will not have a car.

Is there a better way to go from resort to resort?

Haven't planned anything for sure yet, but I was thinking maybe go to Disney Springs for early dinner then take whatever transportation there is from there to Poly and watch the fireworks. Maybe get dessert? We might do dinner at Poly instead, though. I'm not sure. I was looking at some Table Service prices last night, and they weren't as bad as I originally thought. I had seen that the character meal at AK is now around $60 and was thinking all table service was up around $50 or more now, but it looks like that's not the case. We can definitely do table service at $30.

My assumption was Port Orleans to Disney Springs and Disney Springs to other resort was going to be the easiest, but maybe not? We will not have a car.

Is there a better way to go from resort to resort?

I guess it just depends on how you want to do it - if you are eating at DS and then want to go directly to the Poly then that makes sense. If you were going directly from POR to another resort, then you could either get a Minnie Van directly there or take a bus to a park and go from there. I only mentioned the boat and monorail to/from the MK -> Poly since you specifically mentioned the Poly and the boat and monorail make it more of an "event" than just busses back and forth, especially since a bus will be necessary to/from MK itself to/from POR. Otherwise, maybe bus from DS to Poly, then boat or monorail from Poly to MK and bus back to POR? (Or get Minnie Van back from Poly to POR.)
Just because you go to a resort a specific way doesn't mean you necessarily have to return that way! Can be fun to mix it up to have different experiences and explore the various transportation options that WDW offers!

Can anyone give me any information on the entertainment/live music in the lounge/bar? Is there a posted schedule somewhere? Do you need to arrive early to get a seat? This will be our third stay at POR but we’ve never been to the live music show. Thanks!

Can anyone give me any information on the entertainment/live music in the lounge/bar? Is there a posted schedule somewhere? Do you need to arrive early to get a seat? This will be our third stay at POR but we’ve never been to the live music show. Thanks!
Yehaa Bob Jackson performs every Wed thru Sat 8:30p-11:45p. We have always been there 15-20 minutes early and have always gotten a seat.

Has anyone ever done the carriage rides, specifically later (like 9)? First time at Riverside and I thought that would be fun, but only 9 o'clock is available!
It depends on what time of year you are doing the ride. But nighttime would be more romantic than daytime. And it would be cooler (less hot) at night. :)

Has anyone ever done the carriage rides, specifically later (like 9)? First time at Riverside and I thought that would be fun, but only 9 o'clock is available!
We have done it and we picked night time, because both resorts look so great lite up at night. I know back when we went they allowed beverages, so we brought a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling Rose and plastic champagne glasses from home, our DD's loved it, they said they felt like princesses. LOL We enjoyed our coachwoman and she answered all of our questions during the ride and was great and do not forget to tip:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter