DL Closure Comfort Food and Drinks

I never even thought about that until we went to Delaware last year. Here in CA, it's the norm for grocery stores to sell liquor. I was surprised when I went into a grocery store in Delaware last summer to find that you had to go to a specific liquor-selling establishment, and then my teenage daughter had to stay in the car. It made it seem a lot more sinful to buy alcohol, LOL.

Same in AZ.

Yes California is a one stop shop at the grocery store. Beer, Wine, & Liquor are all available at the grocery store & Walmart too!

Our Fry's Marketplace (Kroger, Ralph's) has a "bar" in the store, by the deli, specialty cheeses, sushi, bakery area. You see couples go into the store, the wife gets the shopping cart, and the husband gets a seat at the bar and gets a beer.

Our Fry's Marketplace (Kroger, Ralph's) has a "bar" in the store, by the deli, specialty cheeses, sushi, bakery area. You see couples go into the store, the wife gets the shopping cart, and the husband gets a seat at the bar and gets a beer.

We have a few here that do too. The first time I shopped at the "newly" open Whole Foods I literally backed up to take a second look because I couldn't believe there was a bar in the grocery store. We have another local chain that has one "off to the side" that even has a separate entrance. So you can go to the "tavern" without having to go through the store.

Well I clearly live in the wrong state....

We are in the midst of our "bad weather" (some call it hot). But, we know our brag weather is just around the corner. Plus, we are just 5 hours away (shorter or longer, depending on potty breaks) via car ride to THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!!
So, come on over to AZ.

We are in the midst of our "bad weather" (some call it hot)...So, come on over to AZ.
It's currently 98 here and I am melting. Like, literally sweating just sitting here. No thanks to an AZ summer! :rotfl2:

We just got back from camping. There was LOTS of comfort food going on - roasted marshmallows being my favorite! Percolated coffee (why does coffee in a percolator taste SO MUCH BETTER?!), cinnamon bears (road trip treat for us, every time), caramel corn...the list goes on and on.

We are in the midst of our "bad weather" (some call it hot). But, we know our brag weather is just around the corner. Plus, we are just 5 hours away (shorter or longer, depending on potty breaks) via car ride to THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!!
So, come on over to AZ.
So here’s a fun story. I actually lived in Arizona as a young child. Tucson. We had moved there from a more northerly state, mostly known for having wind and snow and cows. It did not have bugs, because bugs do not grow well in freezing temperatures. So anyway, we moved to Tucson in April. I have few memories of it, other than one time falling in a cactus. But my mom’s main memory is beating back some kind of giant horned beetle with a broom because she didn’t know if it would attack my younger brother. We lasted four months before moving back to a yet a different state, but at least one that has a decent freezy, bug-killy season 😂

So here’s a fun story. I actually lived in Arizona as a young child. Tucson. We had moved there from a more northerly state, mostly known for having wind and snow and cows. It did not have bugs, because bugs do not grow well in freezing temperatures. So anyway, we moved to Tucson in April. I have few memories of it, other than one time falling in a cactus. But my mom’s main memory is beating back some kind of giant horned beetle with a broom because she didn’t know if it would attack my younger brother. We lasted four months before moving back to a yet a different state, but at least one that has a decent freezy, bug-killy season 😂

I would love to hear the falling on a cactus story. How hurt did you get? What kind of cactus? Any spines stuck into your skin?

I would love to hear the falling on a cactus story. How hurt did you get? What kind of cactus? Any spines stuck into your skin?
Yes, a great many spines! I was only four, so the memories are vague and I don't know how I fell, but I know I went in hands-first. The spines were really fine and fuzzy-looking. They might have been kind of translucent. I remember my mom trying to get the spines out of my hands, but she couldn't get all of them and took me to the hospital. I have a memory of sitting in the hospital but no memory of how they got the spines out. So it's not that good of a story at the end of the day, lol 😂

My grandma was a snowbird, and at her house she had lemon trees. Those I remember! LEMONS! That grew on TREES! My wind-and-snow-experiencing child brain was just blown by those trees.

Yes, a great many spines! I was only four, so the memories are vague and I don't know how I fell, but I know I went in hands-first. The spines were really fine and fuzzy-looking. They might have been kind of translucent. I remember my mom trying to get the spines out of my hands, but she couldn't get all of them and took me to the hospital. I have a memory of sitting in the hospital but no memory of how they got the spines out. So it's not that good of a story at the end of the day, lol 😂

My grandma was a snowbird, and at her house she had lemon trees. Those I remember! LEMONS! That grew on TREES! My wind-and-snow-experiencing child brain was just blown by those trees.

Yikes! I bet that hurt a lot. Sounds like it could have been a jumping cactus. You poor thing. Thanks for sharing. We love citrus here and love lemons. One of my daughters makes lemon curd on a regular basis so we have a steady supply of that yummy goodness to spread on anything!

• Love
Reactions: EmJ
I dunno how I missed this thread before (probably because my DIS-ing has been a bit spotty the last 6 weeks after a kid with appendicitis and subsequent wound infection and then going off the grid for an amazing RV trip to Yellowstone) but now I have some Dole Whip mix on the way... Thanks for that tip!

I saw a recipe for this on Facebook, and I have to say, these are mighty tasty and I always sing the Pirate song during both mixing and consumption. The standard recipe is this:
2 1/2 cups cola (1 regular can or bottle)
1/3 cup spiced rum (Capt. Morgan, Sailor Jerry etc)
1/3 cup Kahlua

Mix all ingredients and pour into popsicle molds.

*However: I don't have popsicle molds and I'm not usually willing to wait a long time for them to freeze, so I just mix it in a glass bowl that can go in the freezer and consume it whenever it's close enough, which is anywhere from cold liquid to completely slushy. It never really gets super hard because of the alcohol, but it does require some effort to get it out if you leave it overnight.

*Also: I lacked some of the key ingredients once so I substituted Dr. Pepper for cola and Amaretto for Kahlua. Now, I didn't use my good Amaretto, I used the cheaper kind I use for food recipes. I actually prefer both of these substitutions to the original recipe. Kahlua and probably the cola both add some bitterness. My sister likes that, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Dirty-Pirate-Cocktail-Popsicle_Bakers-Royale1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter