DL New Year's Eve

GeorgiaDawg7

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party fro
My Georgia Bulldogs made the college football playoffs and will be playing in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day! So we're flying out and going to hit DL for a day before the game. I've been to WDW over 20 times and I've done New Years at MK or Epcot about four times. I recently took my first trip to DL this past March and loved it. I thought it would be years before I'd make it back. But with Georgia being in the Rose Bowl I can't come to LA and not do DL. So my question is, Does DL usually close due to capacity on 12/30 and New Year's Eve? If so what's time? I know MK has in the past, and I know it's a larger park than DL. So I was wondering if this was a coming theme that it maxes out in capacity each year around the new year! Thanks!

I've never done NYE in the parks but If I were to I would get to Disneyland (aka our MK) before opening and plan on spending the entire day there. That way capacity closures won't affect you! (I'd also book table service lunch & dinner for a respite from the crowds- and I'd do that now.)

gottalovepluto's way is the best method if you want to be in DL for NYE. Closures are common unless the weather is bad, and you don't know when they will start and lift. I don't know how much the new annual pass structure has affected things since the last time we visited for NYE was two years ago. We have done NYE at the resort a couple of times. We generally spend a few hours in the morning in DL and then cross over to DCA which is less intense and crowded. They had a lot of entertainment in DCA including a swing band and there is a lower level fireworks show at midnight. In years past there was also a World of Color show following the fireworks, but I hear they don't do that anymore. I think there are still World of Color showings earlier in the evening. Our friends chose to stay over in Disneyland a couple years ago while we did DCA, and they said the park was packed, packed, packed, could hardly move with all the bodies. Also that year unfortunately the midnight fireworks show at DL was cancelled. The DCA one was still able to fire off though.

I've done NYE twice at Disneyland 2014-2015 and 2016-2017. This past year was an anomaly and it wasn't even as crowded as every Saturday during halloween time which was because it rained most of the day during the day on NYE. 2014-2015 was very crowded but I don't know if there were gate closures because once I was in Disneyland around 10/11am I didn't leave until 9pm when I headed over to DCA to do midnight fireworks there and I don't remember seeing them not admitting people. Disneyland does their NYE show at both 9 and 12 so I choose to do the 9 show at Disneyland then go to DCA for midnight because it's one of the two times a year they do fireworks at DCA.

Last year there was no swing band at DCA (boo!), just a DJ at Paradise Bay. This year there is a swing band scheduled at DL (Swing Cats at PFF). If the traditional DJ will be at the castle, then it will be very difficult to hear the band, as usual. Hoping for a band at DCA, but haven't heard any announcement yet.

Last year there was no swing band at DCA (boo!), just a DJ at Paradise Bay. This year there is a swing band scheduled at DL (Swing Cats at PFF). If the traditional DJ will be at the castle, then it will be very difficult to hear the band, as usual. Hoping for a band at DCA, but haven't heard any announcement yet.

Geez. Glad I last went the year before. Sounds like they cut back the DCA entertainment a lot starting last year. I really enjoyed our 2015-2016 DCA New Year's Eve.

My Georgia Bulldogs made the college football playoffs and will be playing in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day! So we're flying out and going to hit DL for a day before the game. I've been to WDW over 20 times and I've done New Years at MK or Epcot about four times. I recently took my first trip to DL this past March and loved it. I thought it would be years before I'd make it back. But with Georgia being in the Rose Bowl I can't come to LA and not do DL. So my question is, Does DL usually close due to capacity on 12/30 and New Year's Eve? If so what's time? I know MK has in the past, and I know it's a larger park than DL. So I was wondering if this was a coming theme that it maxes out in capacity each year around the new year! Thanks!
It is hard to say. I've seen it close as early as 11am (it reopened and closed all day, with the final closure about 4pm.) This is the first year in 20 we will not be at the parks for NYE! We will be at Epcot!

They usually have a swing band at PFF in DL, and one in DCA on Buena Vista street. DJs at the castle and WOC areas. A retro band at Tomorrowland Terrace. Something in Hollywood Land (don't remember the style.) We had a blast last year seeing all the various entertainment around the parks!

It is hard to say. I've seen it close as early as 11am (it reopened and closed all day, with the final closure about 4pm.) This is the first year in 20 we will not be at the parks for NYE! We will be at Epcot!

They usually have a swing band at PFF in DL, and one in DCA on Buena Vista street. DJs at the castle and WOC areas. A retro band at Tomorrowland Terrace. Something in Hollywood Land (don't remember the style.) We had a blast last year seeing all the various entertainment around the parks!
Last year Olivia Holt was the artist that played in Hollywoodland.

@Malcon10t so cool that you make it to the parks every year. Any touring plan advice for a (possible) Disneyland NYE newbie. I am on the fence about it and would love to know why you always go and what you think it the best way to experience NYE at Disneyland.

I don't see anything special on the schedule for DCA.....not even fireworks:sad2:

I don't see anything special on the schedule for DCA.....not even fireworks:sad2:

Yeah, I have been trying to figure out what if anything is happening at DCA. Last year there was a countdown and quick fireworks celebration with no WOC show following but I have been getting mixed messages if they are even dong that this year.

New Year's Eve will definitely reach capacity in both parks, Disneyland by about 11 AM and DCA by 2 PM, often even earlier. The exception to this will be if there is A LOT of rain before 10 AM or so, then it could end up being dead in the parks.

Plan on being wherever you plan on staying for the rest of the night by about 4 PM, as it will become difficult to impossible to move around the parks after that. And yes, that means make sure you have your dinner by then as well, even going to get food will be almost impossible.

Expect the Mickey and Friends trams to stop running to the parking structure by about 10 PM and them turning the tram route into a walking route.

Expect ALL parking lots to fill completely by 3 PM

As for fireworks, there is almost always Fantasy in the Sky fireworks at Disneyland and a small show where they do World of Color at DCA, although they often aren't ever listed in the schedules, even the day of ones.

We're arriving NYE so won't make it to the parks but can you see the fireworks from Downtown Disney or the area between the 2 gates? Thought that would be a nice first evening there if it's possible. What about any fun stuff going on at DD or nearby? We're staying close by and can easily walk from the hotel.

We're arriving NYE so won't make it to the parks but can you see the fireworks from Downtown Disney or the area between the 2 gates? Thought that would be a nice first evening there if it's possible. What about any fun stuff going on at DD or nearby? We're staying close by and can easily walk from the hotel.
Expect that area to be full too. People without tickets for the day are often sitting in the esplanade for fireworks early to hold their spots.

We are also going to the Rosebowl game and planning a couple days at Disneyland. Never been to a college game before (coming from Canada) so if you have any tips that’d be awesome.

Today the calendar is showing three showings of fireworks and two WOC at DCA on NYE.

I just booked the 7:45 pm WOC dessert party, which I guess means we will see the 8:30 WOC. There are fireworks at 9pm.... will our WOC viewing area be a good place for that? Will they kick us out?

I wasn't going to spend the $$ on the dessert party, but I figure if I get good viewing for TWO shows it's worth it, plus it's NYE!

Today the calendar is showing three showings of fireworks and two WOC at DCA on NYE.

I just booked the 7:45 pm WOC dessert party, which I guess means we will see the 8:30 WOC. There are fireworks at 9pm.... will our WOC viewing area be a good place for that? Will they kick us out?

I wasn't going to spend the $$ on the dessert party, but I figure if I get good viewing for TWO shows it's worth it, plus it's NYE!

I just booked the WOC Dessert Party for the 9:45 show. I see there’s a show at 10:15. I wonder the same thing.

I’m hoping we can stay in the area u til the midnight fireworks if we could !

I just booked the WOC Dessert Party for the 9:45 show. I see there’s a show at 10:15. I wonder the same thing.

I called the Dining line and they said we should be able to watch the fireworks from there. !!!

They usually clear out the area to make room for the DJ area.

We are also going to the Rosebowl game and planning a couple days at Disneyland. Never been to a college game before (coming from Canada) so if you have any tips that’d be awesome.

Wow! Y'all are picking a great first college game to go to. Y'all picked a good Rose Bowl game to attend too, as it's different from any other years in the past because there is no Big Ten or PAC 12 team playing in it. Georgia hasn't been there since 1943 and it's a very rare trip for us. There will be a lot of Georgia fans there. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us, and the fact that it's a game for a chance to play in the National Championship is absolutely huge. We haven't played in a game this important in 35 years.

Let me say that in the Southeastern part of the United States college football is like a religion. We could careless about pro sports. It's all about college football and fans are absolutely crazy. Just brace yourselves for a lot of Georgia fans that are going to be very loud and excited. This game is a HUGE deal for us! Wear red and black and cheer for the Dawgs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter