DL/So. Cal - AP and other questions

DisneyWishes14

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We are considering the DL/So. Cal ABD for March 2020 and I had a few questions. First, we are Premier Passport holders and our APs include MaxPass. It is my understanding that the ABD tour includes a 4-day PH and they pre-load some FPs onto those tickets. Is there anyway to take advantage of both the pre-loaded FPs on the included tickets and also use MaxPass? Would we have to use our tickets and then exit the park to re-enter on our APs to use MaxPass? Or could I simply add MaxPass to the tickets they give us (I understand it would be an extra cost)?

I would be doing this tour with DS who will be 12 at the time. He will absolutely love many aspects of the tour (Walt's apartment, WD Studios, etc.), but I am concerned about his stamina level. I see that the tour sees the fireworks one night and Fantasmic on another. On the night we see the fireworks, is it possible to simply stay put in our spots to see Fantasmic (it looks like, in March, the fireworks are typically at 9 pm and Fantasmic at 9:30 pm)? Or does it not provide a good view? I'm just trying to see if I can consolidate that evening somehow. If we don't make it to one of the morning tours (I'm thinking DCA, which is of the least interest to us), would we be able to meet up with the tour at a later time (I'm thinking maybe just the dinner and WOC) and, at least, use the FPs provided on our ticket that day?

I've wanted to do this tour for a while and we will be on the west coast, adjusted to the time and ready to go about a week before the tour starts, so I'd really like to take advantage of the fact that we are already in the area even if it means I have to adjust a little if DS12 needs to sleep in on day 5.

I would see if they can either reduce the price of the trip by the 4-day PHs (unlikely) or save the 4-day PHs for a different trip (use the value to pay for a new AP). See if Disney can work with you and put the pre-loaded FPs onto your AP (provide them the AP number ahead of time).

I would see if they can either reduce the price of the trip by the 4-day PHs (unlikely) or save the 4-day PHs for a different trip (use the value to pay for a new AP). See if Disney can work with you and put the pre-loaded FPs onto your AP (provide them the AP number ahead of time).
I'm pretty sure I read the pass ABD gives you is only good for the days of the ABD. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.

Sayhello

Last edited:

Interesting idea! Ok, I may need to call ABD and simply ask them this question! Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I read the pass ABD gives you is only good for the days of the ABD. I'm sure someone will correct me if that' not right.

Sayhello

That is what I read as well - that the tickets are only good for the duration of the ABD.

To answer my own question on Fantasmic, I just read the ABD watches the fireworks near Plaza Inn, so that wouldn't work for Fantasmic. I may call ABD to ask what time touring is done on the DL park tour day. If I can fit a Fantasmic dining package in on that day for the early show, that might work to see both the fireworks and Fantasmic. I know, added cost, but just trying to maximize the time we have there!

The ABD pass is only good for the days of the trip. This trip is awesome but you may want to compare it with a VIP tour if you are most interested in pure park time. You may miss some backstage aspects but could customize your activities to make the most of your time.

Interesting idea! Ok, I may need to call ABD and simply ask them this question! Thanks!

That is what I read as well - that the tickets are only good for the duration of the ABD.

To answer my own question on Fantasmic, I just read the ABD watches the fireworks near Plaza Inn, so that wouldn't work for Fantasmic. I may call ABD to ask what time touring is done on the DL park tour day. If I can fit a Fantasmic dining package in on that day for the early show, that might work to see both the fireworks and Fantasmic. I know, added cost, but just trying to maximize the time we have there!

While it's not on the itinerary, the first evening you arrive at Disneyland typically has a VIP viewing of Fantasmic. You can stay in place to watch the fireworks from there, but it's not quite the same as seeing them in front of the castle the next night.

I j just returned from the trip with an almost-12-year-old and shared your same concerns about the long days. We toughed it out-- but we were both getting in rough shape by that third day.

While it's not on the itinerary, the first evening you arrive at Disneyland typically has a VIP viewing of Fantasmic. You can stay in place to watch the fireworks from there, but it's not quite the same as seeing them in front of the castle the next night.

I j just returned from the trip with an almost-12-year-old and shared your same concerns about the long days. We toughed it out-- but we were both getting in rough shape by that third day.

This is great info. Thank you so much! Yeah, I'm so torn. We will be coming from a week's vacation from the west coast of Mexico, which will be relaxing, so part of me wants to do the tour knowing we will have had our rest time the week prior. The other part of me says just go to Disneyland for 5 nights and construct our own itinerary and really hit all the rides, attractions and shows we want to do. But, man, I really want to see the Studios, Archives, Walt's apartment and the carousel!!!

This is great info. Thank you so much! Yeah, I'm so torn. We will be coming from a week's vacation from the west coast of Mexico, which will be relaxing, so part of me wants to do the tour knowing we will have had our rest time the week prior. The other part of me says just go to Disneyland for 5 nights and construct our own itinerary and really hit all the rides, attractions and shows we want to do. But, man, I really want to see the Studios, Archives, Walt's apartment and the carousel!!!

@Mousequake and I were on the same adventure, and I agree with him. We were two adults and feeling really our aches and pains before the trip ended. It's all of the standing in one place that got to us. When we are moving, we are fine. I would flip my trips--do the ABD first and then do a relaxing vacation.

Regarding the tickets, they are only good for the length of the adventure; the fastpasses they add are only good the day they are issued. We didn't even use the FPs that we got on our California Adventure day.

Last edited:
@Mousequake and I were on the same adventure, and I agree with him. We were two adults and feeling really our aches and pains before the trip ended. It's all of the standing in one place that got to us. When we are moving, we are fine. I would flip my trips--do the ABD first and then do a relaxing vacation.

Regarding the tickets, they are only good for the length of the adventure; the fastpasses they add are only good the day they are issued. We didn't even use the FPs that we got on our California Adventure day.

Great info, thank you. I think you may have sealed the deal for me and I think I'm just going to take DS12 to DL on my own. If the tour is testing the stamina of Disney-loving adults, I really don't think DS12 could get through the whole thing. Unfortunately, I can't switch dates as DH is going to Mexico with us for the relaxing week and that is his time off from work. I was really trying to figure out a way to do the "short escape" before going to Mexico, but it would mean DH and I flying to Mexico separately and I would be with DS12 alone entering MX and we are all a little concerned about that.

Ok, now off to try to figure out MaxPass by March 2020, lol!!

Great info, thank you. I think you may have sealed the deal for me and I think I'm just going to take DS12 to DL on my own. If the tour is testing the stamina of Disney-loving adults, I really don't think DS12 could get through the whole thing. Unfortunately, I can't switch dates as DH is going to Mexico with us for the relaxing week and that is his time off from work. I was really trying to figure out a way to do the "short escape" before going to Mexico, but it would mean DH and I flying to Mexico separately and I would be with DS12 alone entering MX and we are all a little concerned about that.

Ok, now off to try to figure out MaxPass by March 2020, lol!!
I think this is a great call (to do it on your own)! Our 11-year old LOVED this trip but was happiest having fun and riding rides after the guided stuff was over.

Again, if you want to do some special behind the scenes stuff while you are there, a VIP tour or the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour may be just the ticket (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disneyland/walk-in-walts-disneyland-footsteps/). Lots of the ABD guides who do Backstage Magic are also VIP guides so you can still have a terrific guide experience if you want.

My trip is in 2 weeks. Sounds like I will be finding some walls to lean against when the group is not moving. My sciatica nerve has issues when I stand too long but am fine when walking. I do moderate cardio 3-4 times a week so stamina wise I should be fine.

My trip is in 2 weeks. Sounds like I will be finding some walls to lean against when the group is not moving. My sciatica nerve has issues when I stand too long but am fine when walking. I do moderate cardio 3-4 times a week so stamina wise I should be fine.

I do bootcamp twice a week, spin three times a week, a lifting class once a week, and a moderate weight class once a week. My advice is to make sure you drink plenty of water (I neglected while away) and get sleep (also neglected). I felt like I was coming down with the flu--that's how much my body ached.

I went on an Backstage Magic ABD last December and had a Sig plus AP at the time and one of my friends on the trip had a premier pass. The ticket is included regardless. The ticket they give you will have the pre loaded fast passes. Since my friend and I both had maxpass on our tickets we used our aps to enter at one point and then park hoppers that we were given so we could use the FPs they gave us as well as book maxpass FPs. This was mostly for the last day, since we had absolutely crummy weather on our DCA day (poured rain most of the day) they put FPs on our tickets for Friday so Friday we used both. From what I remember from others on our trip you can buy maxpass for those tickets though.

I went on an Backstage Magic ABD last December and had a Sig plus AP at the time and one of my friends on the trip had a premier pass. The ticket is included regardless. The ticket they give you will have the pre loaded fast passes. Since my friend and I both had maxpass on our tickets we used our aps to enter at one point and then park hoppers that we were given so we could use the FPs they gave us as well as book maxpass FPs. This was mostly for the last day, since we had absolutely crummy weather on our DCA day (poured rain most of the day) they put FPs on our tickets for Friday so Friday we used both. From what I remember from others on our trip you can buy maxpass for those tickets though.
We have been wondering how this will work as we are going on the Short Escape DL ABD trip in October. We each have Sig plus AP plus Maxpass. Are you saying you entered the park twice? Once with your AP with MaxPass and then again with the park hoppers they gave you that have Fps loaded on them?

We have been wondering how this will work as we are going on the Short Escape DL ABD trip in October. We each have Sig plus AP plus Maxpass. Are you saying you entered the park twice? Once with your AP with MaxPass and then again with the park hoppers they gave you that have Fps loaded on them?
Yes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!