DL to SD Zoo - Driving?

jwnandsn

Earning My Ears
We are flying to California for the first time this weekend. Planning on going to the SD Zoo on Sunday, Sept. 11th.

Any tips on driving there and back? Are the times we should avoid the highways. Are we looking at 2-3 hours there and back.

We are staying near DL.

Any general driving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandra
:flower:

Personally, I would prefer to stay in SD overnight. It will take a minimum of 1.5 hours each way without traffic, so that would be at least a 3 hour round trip.

It's doable, but the San Diego Zoo can be tiring, so that's why we prefer to stay overnight.

I-5 all the way down is probably the fastest route. Pacific Coast Highway is a nice drive part of the way (around Laguna Beach), but after that there's not much to see.

The CA locals can give you a better idea of what Sunday traffic is like.

We drove to the San Diego Zoo and back in one day, but we were pretty tired! I think it took about 90 minutes each way.

LuvTigger said:
Personally, I would prefer to stay in SD overnight. It will take a minimum of 1.5 hours each way without traffic, so that would be at least a 3 hour round trip.

It's doable, but the San Diego Zoo can be tiring, so that's why we prefer to stay overnight.

I-5 all the way down is probably the fastest route. Pacific Coast Highway is a nice drive part of the way (around Laguna Beach), but after that there's not much to see.

The CA locals can give you a better idea of what Sunday traffic is like.

I think we're pretty average speed drivers and 90 minutes seems a little quick to us for all but the best conditions. (Maybe we're slow drivers -- the times people quote here always seem a little low to us. For example, people always say 60 minutes from Carlsbad to DL, but it generally takes us closer to 75 or even 90, because we always seem to hit traffic in orange county.)

I was wondering the exactt same thing. I may be going to DL in October for my birthday in October. I had originallu had a trip tp New Orleans planned. Looks like I may have to cancel. It breaks my heart, New Orleans is my favorite city. I am hoping I can convince my hubby to go to DL and San Diego!! It's my birthday after alll.

We struck a little traffic, and while I am not a slow driver, it still took us about 2 hours from DL to SD ZOO.

We stayed there, so this wasn't a problem, but I'd think 4 horus driving with a long day in the middle would be a bit much.

But don't miss the Zoo, it really was every bit as good as it's made out to be - great setting, superb collection of animals and brilliant displays. You could almost touch the pandas, gorills sat in the window right in front of us, and I saw a hippo swimming under water - a brilliant zoo.

We were just there a few weeks ago and it took us right around 2 hrs to drive there and back. I believe the trip to Anaheim from San Diego was faster, traffic wasn't as busy as on the way down.

We actualy flew into San Diego and drove to Anaheim to stay for 5 nights and then drove back down to San Diego and stayed for 3 nights there. I would say if you have more time, to spend it in San Diego. It is such a beautiful city and they have lots to do there.

My familly and I do this trip all the time. We drive down to Southern CA 5 or 6 times a year. If we're only going to 1 place in San Diego, then we like to drive down just for the day, as I think it takes more time to pack up and move hotels-but that's just my personal opinion and liking. If we're going to more than 1 place, we stay in SD for a few nights. If you have time I would recommend this, as there are so many great things to see and do there! The Zoo is fantastic and so is the Animal Park. Sea World is fun, if the kids are young or into Legos, Legoland is great! The aircraft carrier-USS Midway is in port there and it is neat to see-they have it set up as a museum, and SeaPort Village is right there, with shops, food and a carousel. This is just a few things! We love going to SD.

The driving-it seems to always take us an hour and a half to go to the Zoo, Animal Park or Sea World from Anaheim, and an hour to go to Legoland. This seems to not change whether there's traffic or not. We use the commute lane if there's a lot of traffic. I don't think we drive that fast-but maybe we are CA drivers! lol If you think that might be too much for you, or it may take you longer, than staying 1 night in SD may work better for you. :)

Please tell me more about the USS-Midway.
Is there also somewhere to catch a Harbor Cruise right near there?

I'm curious about drive times from San Deigo to LAX? I know it depends on where in San Diego we'd be, but just a general idea would be helpful. We'd like to be at LAX at 4pm on a Thursday.

brenda1966 said:
Please tell me more about the USS-Midway.
Is there also somewhere to catch a Harbor Cruise right near there?

I'm curious about drive times from San Deigo to LAX? I know it depends on where in San Diego we'd be, but just a general idea would be helpful. We'd like to be at LAX at 4pm on a Thursday.

The website for the Midway is www.midway.org

We enjoyed touring the Midway. You get a headset, that gives you a personal tour. You get to see the sleeping quarters, eating areas, doctor, post office, etc... There are planes and helicopters up on the flight deck. Each area is numbered and you just push the number and it tells you about the area you are in or about the plane you are near. They also have simulations you can purchase separately. There is a small area to buy food and snacks and there is a gift shop. The view of the area is great from the flight deck. It doesn't take a whole day, so you could easily do this and then hang out in SeaPort Village, go to a museum in Balboa park, etc...

They do harbor cruises there, but we've never done one. I've seen the brochures, though.

I don't know what your hotel plans are, but the Manchester Grand Hyatt is a great place to stay-it's right there at SeaPort Village-you can walk down there. It's a little walk along the Harbor to the Midway, but not bad. They also have lots of bicylce taxis.

San Diego to LAX will probably be long. It takes about 90 minutes just to get to Anaheim, and then up to LA. The traffic in LA is the worse at any day, any hour, except the very middle of the night am hours, from our experience. I would guess it could take 3 hours. Is there a reason you have to get to LAX because if you're in SD, the airport there is very convenient.

Was wondering how long it would take on a Sunday morning to drive from GCH to the San Diego airport?

Dh has a conference in San Diego and he will drop me off at the airport as I have to get home to DD.

Thanks!

DisneyJen said:
Was wondering how long it would take on a Sunday morning to drive from GCH to the San Diego airport?

Dh has a conference in San Diego and he will drop me off at the airport as I have to get home to DD.

Thanks!

It will take about 90 minutes, but I would give yourself between 2 and 2.5 hours to get there, so you have plenty of time and piece of mind without having to rush. If it's busy you can use the commute lanes.

Thanks Jencav!

I would rather get to the airport early than be racing there at the last minute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter