DL worth it on just a Saturday?

GatorChris

Not of This World
I've not been since 2022. Used to do 5 day trips yearly. But with G+, it doesn't feel like a value anymore - spend a lot and stand in lots of lines or spend EVEN more and get what used to be free??? Anyway, we didn't go last year and we weren't going this year. But I'm down in SoCal to hit Pismo and then do Universal for a few days and Knotts one day. Tickets for the day we want to go are $182/day! $920 for the family, before G+. I mean, I just got season passes to Universal for $75 less for the family. If I throw in G+, I can do Universal APs and a day at Knotts for less. So I'm kinda hesitant to use my free day to hit DL.

But I do miss it, so I'm considering. Are Saturdays even worth doing? We always did weekdays in the past. I don't want to double our theme park ticket money for one day at DL if it's insane. I know it used to be. These days?

I've not been since 2022. Used to do 5 day trips yearly. But with G+, it doesn't feel like a value anymore - spend a lot and stand in lots of lines or spend EVEN more and get what used to be free??? Anyway, we didn't go last year and we weren't going this year. But I'm down in SoCal to hit Pismo and then do Universal for a few days and Knotts one day. Tickets for the day we want to go are $182/day! $920 for the family, before G+. I mean, I just got season passes to Universal for $75 less for the family. If I throw in G+, I can do Universal APs and a day at Knotts for less. So I'm kinda hesitant to use my free day to hit DL.

But I do miss it, so I'm considering. Are Saturdays even worth doing? We always did weekdays in the past. I don't want to double our theme park ticket money for one day at DL if it's insane. I know it used to be. These days?

We go about 90% of the time on Saturdays. I work M-F, so Saturday is the easiest day to go. Yes, we have magic keys, so we can go a lot. But I am always pleasantly surprised how much we can accomplish during our trips. And depending what month, it might be the nicest day of the week. We have found Saturdays when only the top pass (Inspire) can come to usually be quite nice. I see to remember your last trip was in October which is by far our least favorite month due to the insane crowds, so if it is a Sat in October, I would say skip it. Spring or summer - totally go for it. Our plan is to rope drop and then we usually leave after flag retreat (late afternoon). But occasionally, come late afternoon and stay until late evening. Both actually work decently but the rope drop is usually the better of the 2 in my experience.

If you can go on a Saturday when most of the MK’s are blocked, it can be absolutely sublime.

Agree with the above posters. Saturdays are actually the best day of the week to visit - the three lowest MK's are often blocked and single day ticket prices are highest. This translates to often the lowest crowds of the week on Saturdays (yes, weird but the way it is).

I completely understand your disgust with the way the Disney parks are currently run. I also do not like Genie+ as much as the old Fastpass system. However, most of the horror stories you read about Genie+ are from WDW. The system there is terrible. Genie+ at DLR actually works very well and has been mostly a positive experience for my family and many others as well.

I also do not like Genie+ as much as the old Fastpass system. However, most of the horror stories you read about Genie+ are from WDW. The system there is terrible. Genie+ at DLR actually works very well and has been mostly a positive experience for my family and many others as well.
I agree it works well. I just don't like the $150/day extra it costs for something that was free pre-Shutdown. That and I hate looking looking looking at my phone, not realizing at the end of my trip I'd skipped on all the small things and fun details because I was trying to maximize my investment. Ugh. What do you do???

I agree it works well. I just don't like the $150/day extra it costs for something that was free pre-Shutdown. That and I hate looking looking looking at my phone, not realizing at the end of my trip I'd skipped on all the small things and fun details because I was trying to maximize my investment. Ugh. What do you do???
Yep, pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. The mobile part had been transitioning to being a paid service pre-Covid (MaxPass) but regular paper FP was still available at no additional charge (never "free" as we always had to pay to enter the parks). MaxPass was also only about $15 as opposed to $30-$35.

The part that really eats at me is ILL. I despise the fact that RSR and ROTR are not included in the already steep price of Genie+. I guarantee Tiana's will be ILL when it first opens, at least for a while.

Would you have fun without Genie+? I mostly go on Saturdays and I don't buy Genie+. Rarely, I will buy a LL ride. If your kids are old enough to go single rider and you all feel like going with the flow, you can have a good time. Saturdays have the longest hours with most things open and all entertainment going.

We've done lots of single day trips and we are from out-of-state. I think it's worth it!

Genie+ isn't all that bad at all, though. We think it's worth getting, especially if your time is limited.

Saturdays are often great because most of the Magic Keys are blocked. But it really does matter what Saturday it is. If there’s a special event or if it’s a holiday or the last Saturday before Believe Keys are blocked out for July, it will be crowded. Saturdays in July are awesome.

What Saturday is it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter