DLP - First Visit - Some good and some not so good impressions

MainStreetMouse

Mouseketeer
My wife and I visited DLP on April 16th, 2019.
This was our first visit. We have been to Disneyland in California before and do visit Disney World often.

Things we liked:
The Parisian flair and attention to detail in all of the buildings on main street and the two hallway on either side of main street.

Hyperspace Mountain was a blast. wasn't expecting such a thrill ride.

It was a cloudy day, some light rain, low crowds so we were able to ride all we wanted in the day we were there. We did get a fast pass for Thunder mountain.

The castle is different, at first I didn't like it but once we explored and discovered the dragon in the basement and that we could go upstairs in the castle it really grow on us.

The afternoon parade was very good!

The evening fireworks at the castle called Illuminations is excellent.

Now the not so good.

The park is not as clean as the others we have been to. A lot of garbage in bushes and on the streets.

Although they have designated smoking areas many smoked in ride lines while walking around the park and in other areas not designated. We did not notice any Disney employee ask the smokers to refrain even when we were sure they knew that the smoker was not in a designated area.

as a result of smoking everywhere, cigarette butts do litter the park too.

I also noticed a lot of weeds (dandelions) in the grass. (see attached photos of grass at "It's a Small World". Perhaps weed killer is not allowed?

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 78
This was our first visit. We have been to Disneyland in California before and do visit Disney World often.

Things we liked:
The Parisian flair and attention to detail in all of the buildings on main street and the two hallway on either side of main street.

It was a cloudy day, some light rain, low crowds so we were able to ride all we wanted in the day we were there. We did get a fast pass for Thunder mountain.

The castle is different, at first I didn't like it but once we explored and discovered the dragon in the basement and that we could go upstairs in the castle it really grow on us.

Now the not so good.

The park is not as clean as the others we have been to. A lot of garbage in bushes and on the streets.

Although they have designated smoking areas many smoked in ride lines while walking around the park and in other areas not designated. We did not notice any Disney employee ask the smokers to refrain even when we were sure they knew that the smoker was not in a designated area.

I also noticed a lot of weeds (dandelions) in the grass. (see attached photos of grass at "It's a Small World". Perhaps weed killer is not allowed?
Did you visit both parks? If so, did you like the Ratatoulie ride?

Things we liked:

Now the not so good.

Did you read our FAQ threads here on DIS before you went? This thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-disneyland-paris-to-the-other-parks.3735105/ would have prepared you better, as we have explained about the differences between the American parks and Disneyland Paris. The smoking and general upkeep are also discussed. We put this thread together, as well as a number of other FAQ threads especially for people like you, so that you can have the best possible time at Disneyland Paris.

Did you read our FAQ threads here on DIS before you went? This thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-disneyland-paris-to-the-other-parks.3735105/ would have prepared you better, as we have explained about the differences between the American parks and Disneyland Paris. The smoking and general upkeep are also discussed. We put this thread together, as well as a number of other FAQ threads especially for people like you, so that you can have the best possible time at Disneyland Paris.

I'm not the OP, but I feel like I need to comment since this topic keeps coming up. I greatly appreciate the posts that you and others have put together, as I'm sure many other people do. I feel very well prepared and have set my expectations appropriately for my visit to DLP next month (I can't wait!). BUT, and this is a big but, that doesn't mean I or anyone else can't comment on our observations about things we liked and didn't like. FYI, even though I am prepared for it, I am NOT going to be happy about the smoking outside of designated smoking areas. No amount of preparation, or being told that it's "cultural", is going to make me happy with that. But I would mention things that I don't like about WDW or DLR also, so it's not like I'm just picking on DLP because it doesn't live up to my "sensitive American expectations". I fully intend to love the parks. I feel like you take these comments about the parks personally, and I wish you wouldn't. Part of what I find so valuable about these boards and others is reading about people's experiences, both good and bad.

The park is full of litter and people smoking everywhere because it is in France and the French are scruffy like that. I have also had some of the rudest customer experience interactions anywhere in the world in DLP, but again, Parisians are famous for being rude. Between that and the weather it was an enormous mistake to build a european disney park in that location, in my view they should have put it near Barcelona.

Since Disney took back over the park the customer service thing has improved, they have actually made real progress, but the litter and smoking are just unstoppable.

I am not a massive fan of DLP, for those reasons. I actually think Disneyland Park there is one of the best imagineered, and worth seeing, but you don't get that magcal feeling because no guest treats anything or anyone particuarly nicely there.

The park is full of litter and people smoking everywhere because it is in France and the French are scruffy like that. I have also had some of the rudest customer experience interactions anywhere in the world in DLP, but again, Parisians are famous for being rude. Between that and the weather it was an enormous mistake to build a european disney park in that location, in my view they should have put it near Barcelona.

Since Disney took back over the park the customer service thing has improved, they have actually made real progress, but the litter and smoking are just unstoppable.

I am not a massive fan of DLP, for those reasons. I actually think Disneyland Park there is one of the best imagineered, and worth seeing, but you don't get that magcal feeling because no guest treats anything or anyone particuarly nicely there.

I'm not sure Spain would have been a better choice. Spanish people are maybe less rude in comparison to the French when it comes to customer service (no experience, can't tell), but when it comes to pushing and shoving in lines or while waiting for the parade or the fireworks, I would always prefer a French family standing next to me or behind me, than Spanish. Everytime a guest shoves his kids forward to stand in front of me to watch the parade without asking, they are usually from Spain (my experience, not fact).

Spain would have attracted less European guests as well. From most parts of The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg etc it is possible to drive to DLP, for the UK they have the Eurostar. If Eurodisney was in Spain, all these visitors would have to fly in, which less do. That would have a major impact on the income.

Last edited:

The park is full of litter and people smoking everywhere because it is in France and the French are scruffy like that...Parisians are famous for being rude.
Stereotyping much? I've certainly encountered no shortage of rude Americans, or Americans who smoke.

Stereotyping much? I've certainly encountered no shortage of rude Americans, or Americans who smoke.

Maybe it's because I'm from New England (we are also not known for our friendliness), but I found the majority of the Parisians we encountered to be perfectly nice, helpful, and friendly.

I don't think Barcelona would have been a good choice given the political instability (since they want to be independent from Spain) and their dislike of tourists.

Me too, but as someone who is neither American or French I can tell you that on average Americans are noticeably politer and more respectful of public spaces than the French. And the average customer service experience in America when compared to France is like night and day.

I love my holidays to France, I think France is a great country and the French a great people. But they aren't half rude and inconsiderate a lot of the time, especially in and around Paris.

I'm not sure Spain would have been a better choice. Spanish people are maybe less rude in comparison to the French when it comes to customer service (no experience, can't tell), but when it comes to pushing and shoving in lines or while waiting for the parade or the fireworks, I would always prefer a French family standing next to me or behind me, than Spanish. Everytime a guest shoves his kids forward to stand in front of me to watch the parade without asking, they are usually from Spain (my experience, not fact).

Spain would have attracted less European guests as well. From most parts of The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg etc it is possible to drive to DLP, for the UK they have the Eurostar. If Eurodisney was in Spain, all these visitors would have to fly in, which less do. That would have a major impact on the income.

Yes you are probably right about the Spanish kids. I used to live in Greenwich in London, by the park, and there were constantly school groups from all over the world, but it was definitely the French and Spanish ones that got right on your nerves. Zero supervision! Chinese, Germans, Dutch, etc all perfectly well behaved in comparison.

At the end of the day I don't really think the full Disney Experience would work properly anywhere in europe. It is just so American. You can't get that style customer interaction anywhere else. I love WDW for that.

Yes you are probably right about the Spanish kids. I used to live in Greenwich in London, by the park, and there were constantly school groups from all over the world, but it was definitely the French and Spanish ones that got right on your nerves. Zero supervision! Chinese, Germans, Dutch, etc all perfectly well behaved in comparison.

At the end of the day I don't really think the full Disney Experience would work properly anywhere in europe. It is just so American. You can't get that style customer interaction anywhere else. I love WDW for that.

Have you been to DL? As the customer interaction with CMs is not the same in Disneyland as it is in Disney World. I think there is a different between the Disney World experience and the Disney experience elsewhere.

First, thank you for taking the time to prepare the FAQ page. I am sure it is a lot of work. No I did not read it and rarely do. This was my first time at DLP and I want all first impressions my own. I appreciate FAQ pages and for those who really need to plan as they are an excellent resource. We always travel more as a go and explore, see what we can and not worry about what we are missing. Live it the moment.

As it turns out several of my experiences are reported in your FAQ so I guess this is an ongoing issue with DLP.

It's a nice park, has a lot of positive features that any Disney fan should really experience.

Did you visit both parks? If so, did you like the Ratatoulie ride?

I thought it was an amazing ride. A very immersive experience. An awesome queue too. One of the best themed areas of DHS. I do wish I had a chance to try a meal at chez remy. That’s ok. Gives me a chance to have something new to do the next time.

I think DLP is harming the Disney brand, i heard of too many people who’s first Disney park was DLP due to location, who later decide to skip the Disney parks in the US because they think it would be the same.

Or even go to Universal instead of WDW.

I really hope they fix the experience in the park for this reason.

I think DLP is harming the Disney brand, i heard of too many people who’s first Disney park was DLP due to location, who later decide to skip the Disney parks in the US because they think it would be the same.

Or even go to Universal instead of WDW.

I really hope they fix the experience in the park for this reason.

It will never be like WDW, it's just not going to happen. Just like Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai are not like WDW. DL comes the closest, but even there, there are cultural differences. And I think you shouldn't want to have a copy of WDW, there can only be one of those :)

DLP might have gotten bad reviews in the beginning, but it's really catching up in the past few years.

I've never heard of anyone (who considers himself a Disney fan) skipping a US Disney park due to DLP. If they aren't going to WDW or to Universal instead I would more think it would be for different interests, loving Harry Potter or more thrill rides. People who are more interested in visiting A theme park for a day instead of specifically Disney. Its a mistake thinking any Disney park is the same, whether you expect DLP to be the example for all, or WDW to be the example.

[QUOTE="Karin1984, post: 60538773, member: 416132]

I've never heard of anyone (who considers himself a Disney fan) skipping a US Disney park due to DLP. [/QUOTE]

Well I’d argue that people who’s first encounter with Disney parks is DLP don’t become Disney fans.

Where I live, DLP is the closet option. WDW is considered a once-in-lifetime thing as trips to the US with the whole family are rare.

And I’ve heard countless time about people skipping WDW because “I’ve been to Eurodosney and I don’t get what the big deal is”

DLP just doesn’t have that “magic”, and doesn’t give you an idea of what the Disney experience is in terms of excellence.

Personally I’m still going back, I’m a Disney fan and as I said it’s closer than the US. But I think we are the minority, and Sisney is missing out on a big mainstream audience of would-be-fans.

@Baduist I really wonder if those people would get the magic if they went to WDW. I think for the majority of the population a visit to a Disney park is like going to any other theme park. They want a day out with fun for the family and roller coasters. I don't think they expect magic.

If I look at my own mother, besides one visit to DLP in 1992 when the park opened, she never goes to themeparks. She would like to go to DLP with a friend, just because they agreed that years ago (never did it ;-) ) but I can't see her go to WDW as a destination. She might be interested in Epcot or Animal Kingdom for a day, but the rest probably wouldn't interest her.

I'm from NL and in my surroundings people hardly travel to Florida, except those who want to visit the theme parks. US is one of the most popular far away vacations, but they go to New York, San Francisco, LA, etc. when they go to the US, hardly anyone I know go to the Southern States, except to visit New Orleans. Florida is not a popular destination, when people want sunshine and beaches they go to the Dutch Antilles or Asia, places like Bali, etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!