DME and needing wheelchair assistance

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I had a nice conversation with the person who pushed my wheelchair from the Southwest gate all the way to DME. He said that if a person requires wheelchair assistance when returning to the airport on DME, "all you need to do" is tell the DME driver and he'll call ahead to have the person from the airline meet you at the DME location. This was in response to my question of whether I had to get from DME drop-off to the airline counter to get a wheelchair (no small feat for me, if at all possible). This was a Southwest attendant, and by the way, for arriving at MCO airport, he brought me from the gate all the way to DME, stayed in line with me to check in, then stayed with me in the wheelchair until I was ready to board, then wheeled me to the bus. I couldn't be more pleased with the service, and I was just wondering if anyone has had the experience he described on returning. I won't find out myself-the plans are for DH to be driving here in a few days and then we'll drive home. Has anyone tried this?

(totally off topic, sorry LOL)

Yay! You got there!

Keep us posted on how your solo trip is going! :)

(back to topic)

I've never needed to use that service at MCO, but if what the SWA rep said was true, then that's really awesome!

I hope - for the sake of all of us planning to travel solo in the future - that someday we get an answer to the question: "Will the DME driver call ahead so that the wheelchair is waiting?"

We do not need a wheelchair because our daughter has her own, but we have had the DME driver call ahead to get assistance for us with our bags.
We’ve done that multiple times - the last was in April 2017. I will say that we have sometimes had a bit of a wait and have never found the person waiting for us yo arrive.

We do not need a wheelchair because our daughter has her own, but we have had the DME driver call ahead to get assistance for us with our bags.
We’ve done that multiple times - the last was in April 2017. I will say that we have sometimes had a bit of a wait and have never found the person waiting for us yo arrive.

Good to know! Solo trip's done-DH arrived, so I'm not solo any more. But in those couple days, I learned that I wouldn't hesitate to take a totally solo trip. The little rubber stopper worked to varying degrees (probably because I had bought the cheap dollar one instead of the big five dollar one). But I quickly learned the bus drivers' way of moving my scooter around while standing nearby. So I just got off and backed it in to my villa. Everyone has been so helpful opening doors, carrying my tray when I buy at a CS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!