Do APH room rates fluctuate?

2mickeys1minnie

<font color=red>we've turned into that same crazy
Hi all! I'm trying to plan a trip for the first week in August. We are a family of 5 (3 kids ages 20, 18 and 14). I'm torn between CB and Portofino. I checked APH rates yesterday and they were $414 per night for club level at PBH. Today they are much higher. Did I miss my opportunity or did they go up because it's Friday? Any chance they'll go back down or maybe lower? Club is a stretch financially but with 3 teens I'm thinking it will save us $$ on food.

Just from my personal experience with non-AP rates, I've seen huge fluctuations in summer rates -- based on the specific dates that I enter and based on when I check the rates. I've also seen club rates that were lower than non-club rates on certain dates (for a king room, which won't help you). I think they must have a complicated formula, which definitely includes occupancy but might also include the day of the week that you are checking the rates. It's a guessing game whether they'll go down or up.

I'm looking at prices for a Nov trip and PB is only $20 a night more than RP for the time frame we're looking at. We have stayed at RP and really like it. It's a neat resort and we like Jake's so we haven't had any reason to consider the more expensive options with the EP. But we are a family of 5 and 450 sq ft of space over 335 is tempting given the small price difference. I assume you can still walk to the parks from PB (although it looks like a little bit longer trek). I assume the boats are just as constant and reliable at PB as they are at RP. We would be getting a garden view (vs the waterview we typically get at RP). It doesn't look like you're looking at parking lots too much - it looks like there are trees and landscaping in the way. I don't really think the theme between the two matters one way or the other to us. Any differences in the pools? Is there a good restaurant at PB? We will likely eat there our first night. Anything else we should consider?

The eateries are more of an Italian based menu for the sit downs at PBH

Sals is basic pizza and similar food items

I prefer the food places at rpr so I stay there

I love PB and will always stay there over RP if possible. Big lovely rooms, gorgeous grounds, three pools...sigh. Love the place.

That said, I’ve had consistently better food experiences at RP. The pizza place at PB has full-on forgotten about us something like three times, once evenwhile we waited there for our to-go pizza, asking about it every so often as people who had ordered after us were long gone with their food. Once was so bad (I think that was a room delivery time, and they gave us the wrong pizza and then forgot about us again) that the resort manager actually sent us a gift basket the following day as an apology.

Jakes and Orchid court have never forgotten about us.

I've not stayed at PBH (only visited) and my primary reason for that is the walk to the parks. Yes the water taxi is readily available but we always prefer to walk, and its the longest walk of the 3 deluxe resorts. BUT with 5 people, the extra space may come in handy so if the longer walk isn't a deterrent, I don't think you can go wrong otherwise. You're also a quick walk to HRH which has other good dining options - the Kitchen is one of my faves!

The room size is a huge difference for fam of 5. My kids prefer the main pool at PBR (and that sentiment has stuck from age 10 thru 20 so far, lol). If PBR were only $20 more, I would jump on it.

I've not stayed at PBH (only visited) and my primary reason for that is the walk to the parks. Yes the water taxi is readily available but we always prefer to walk, and its the longest walk of the 3 deluxe resorts. BUT with 5 people, the extra space may come in handy so if the longer walk isn't a deterrent, I don't think you can go wrong otherwise. You're also a quick walk to HRH which has other good dining options - the Kitchen is one of my faves!

Hmmm... Long walk from PBR to the parks, but quick walk from PBR to HRH which is close to the parks. Maybe the walk isn't really so bad? :upsidedow

Hmmm... Long walk from PBR to the parks, but quick walk from PBR to HRH which is close to the parks. Maybe the walk isn't really so bad? :upsidedow

According to Google Maps, the walk from PBH to HRH is 11 minutes or 0.6 miles. The walk from PBH to Universal is 24 minutes or 1.2 miles. So, double the time.

Which other way would you go? I've only walked the path from PBH to City Walk.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/short-cut-from-pbh-through-hrh-parking-lot-to-us-ioa.3473821/

pbh-walkingroute.jpg

Doing the wiggles isn't necessary, lol.

Have also seen standard/rack rates lower than APH rates but in different room types/views

I'm looking at prices for a Nov trip and PB is only $20 a night more than RP for the time frame we're looking at. We have stayed at RP and really like it. It's a neat resort and we like Jake's so we haven't had any reason to consider the more expensive options with the EP. But we are a family of 5 and 450 sq ft of space over 335 is tempting given the small price difference. I assume you can still walk to the parks from PB (although it looks like a little bit longer trek). I assume the boats are just as constant and reliable at PB as they are at RP. We would be getting a garden view (vs the waterview we typically get at RP). It doesn't look like you're looking at parking lots too much - it looks like there are trees and landscaping in the way. I don't really think the theme between the two matters one way or the other to us. Any differences in the pools? Is there a good restaurant at PB? We will likely eat there our first night. Anything else we should consider?

I’d jump on that rate!

PBH my fav, truly deluxe and relaxing. Crowd seems well dispersed, especially as to the pool areas

We enjoy our stays at RPH too, totally different vibe. Both have their charms.

Sals a quick option or there is a dining shuttle. The front desk @ PBH has always comped us a private ride (class move) as we never seem to time it right

Hate to say it but Jakes (and islands to a lesser degree) have slipped a bit during our multiple visits over the past few years. Unfortunate as we’ve really enjoyed both venues for years. Hoping whatever lands in Emeril’s will be a solid addition

Well I just booked a standard room
At Portofino for $50 less a night than it was yesterday! Patience paid off. We are now booked! With an AP rate

If you end up at RPR request the macraven suite. It comes with a life size mac wax figure that keeps repeating "Welcome my peeps."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter