Do I need a car? And other newbie questions

michellekcm

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to spend some time at Aulani in January 2017, using DVC. It will be the end of a pretty long holiday - a DCL cruise to the Bahamas, then 6 days at Disneyland with extended family from all over the world. We thought we would stop over at Aulani on the way home to Australia from LA for a bit of a break and a de-stress before the start of the school year (January in Australia).

DH and I have been to Hawaii before and done Pearl Harbour, the Dole plantation etc., and our kids will be too young to truly appreciate it (ages 8 and 4 then), so we thought we would really just stay at Aulani and relax.

Is there anywhere we can get groceries for meals etc. without a car? Or anywhere close enough by that a taxi isn't too expensive?

Is 5 days too long? Not long enough? Are there things that I would miss if we weren't there over a weekend?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Lots of good questions here and hopefully some easy answers for you:
  • Do you need a car? No. Especially since you've already done much of the popular stuff on Oahu. If you decide you want to go someplace on the island you can rent one for the day right there at Aulani.
  • Groceries without a car? Yes. There's an ABC store right across the street from Aulani. Good selection of what you'll need in your room. People walk over and back all the time.
  • Is 5 days too long? No. But the place is so beautiful and relaxing that you might consider the next answer.
  • Is 5 days not long enough? Yes. We've been twice so far. The first visit was 4-nights and that wasn't anywhere enough. The second as 7-nights. Even that wasn't enough for us so our next visit (May 2016) is going to be for 12 nights. We do some things on the island but much of our focus is on just relaxing at the resort.
  • Things you would miss? Can't think of any.
Have a great time!

It's actually good that you won't be there over a weekend, it tends to be more crowded.

You don't need a car if you just want to enjoy the resort, but since you're using DVC and won't have to pay for parking, I would still cost it out. If you find a deal, maybe it ends up to be not much more than the cost to get to/from the airport. Then you have the flexibility to go to Costco or Target, or eat out in Kapolei.

We had a car and went to Safeway, but visited the ABC store across the street and felt like that had plenty of options for only a little bit more money. It was more like a small grocery store than a convienence store.

I think 5 days is perfect if you are sticking to the resort.

I would also cost out a rental car to/from the airport. We are staying 4 days in Waikiki (free parking) before moving to Aulani (free parking for DVC)for 7 nights. Although the rental car sounds very expensive, when you figure in how much a taxi would cost just to go from one place to another, plus some groceries, it really is cost effective. Also, if you opted to take a tour, when you multiply it out for the amount of family members, a rental car instead is very cheap.

We were there in 5/2014. We rented a car and stopped at Target/Costco on the way to Aulani to stock up on snacks, drinks, etc. We returned the car at Aulani, where there is an Alamo (or at least I'm almost positive it was Alamo) desk. We took a shuttle to the airport when we were leaving. We didn't need/miss having a car. You can walk to the ABC store and restaurants/shops across the street. If you decide you need a car, you can always rent one from the Alamo desk at Aulani.

We have gone several times and never have we rented a car.
We use Cloud 9 Car Service - Peter - 1-808-841-7999. They pick us up at the airport and bring us back to the airport. Way cheaper than a taxi as its a ways out there. VERY reasonable.

With your kids the ages they are and your stay length I would say you don't need a car. ABC store has most of the supplies you could possibly need
or a grocery store is a taxi cab away in an emergency. You have seen Oahu already and
there is so much relaxing and play to be had at Aulani that you should get your money's worth and enjoy the resort itself.
Not to mention the Ko Olina area is really beautiful to explore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!