Do I need a car at OKW??

vbarry

DIS Veteran
Staying at OKW at the beginning of July and I do not plan on renting a car. I have read several posts that say you need a car at OKW but not at SSR.

I have not been to either of these resorts but I know they are much larger than the other DVC resorts.

Will I be o.k. without renting a car at OKW?? Is SSR better if you do not have a car??

I did request that our room be close to HH at OKW but I know this is only a request.

Thanks!

I have stayed 4 times at OKW I only had a car once. I have never had a problem getting around without one. The time I did have it was when I was on chemo we thought it might be easier to get around but for the most part we used the busses. I have heard pro's and cons about the busses at both SSR and OKW I have never stayed at SSR but the only difference there I can see is it is a short walk to DTD. Hope this helps.

We typically have a car. However, I think we've stayed at every resort without a car at some point. We've never had a problem with out a car on property, with a car you can get away with some things you can't really do without.

The main problem is that buses don't make a fully connected graph. So sometimes you have to go to an intermediate point change transportation and then go to where you where really headed. The other issue is that you have to allow extra time using Disney Transportation, bus run about every 20 minutes, but they don't run a schedule (ie, at AK bus leaves every 20 starting at 9:03 to GF), the schedule is more dynamic than that.

I would say MOST of the time Disney Transportation is the way to go. Places like MK, I prefer it, because the bus stop is right at the front gate, the parking lot you have to use a tram -> {ferry,monorail} -> gate.

johno

I have stayed at OKW several times with a car, but we bever used it. We had a group of 7 (including small children) each time and the buses worked fine. :cool1: We ever stayed at the peak spring break time and never missed used our car. :thumbsup2 You should be fine without a car. I hope you have a great time! :woohoo:

We drove down in February, and only used the car once (to go to the grocery store after we unpacked). We stayed at South Point, I think building 56? Does that sound right? Even though it may look like it was a long way from HH, it really wasn't. Of course my family likes to get out and walk. You can also hop any bus to get to HH. The last stop is always HH before they head out of OKW. The other thing I liked about South Point was the walking trail to Saratoga. Me, my daughter, and my mom walked it one afternoon and then caught a bus to DD. It was quite a relaxing walk after a busy morning in the park. But like I said, we enjoy walking.

We had a car when we stayed at OKW, but we only used it to go to the grocery store. The Disney transportation worked just fine. We were in the South Point section, and though it's the furthest away from the HH, we really liked it there. It was very quiet, we were right next to the bus stop and close to the quiet pool, and the one time we went to the main pool we just hopped on the bus. The only time I really prefer a car is to get to another resort, but that's staying anywhere, not just OKW. There usually just isn't a quick way on Disney transport to get from resort to resort.

There's basically no difference in the bus service at OKW compared to the bus service at SSR.

Both are dedicated resort busses, meaning they do not stop at any other WDW resorts. (For example the BWV and BCV busses do stop at other resorts).

From SSR you can walk to DD, but you can do that from OKW as well. (SSR of course is much closer) Outside of that, there is no real difference between the resorts as to getting to other places.

Thanks everyone! One more planning item checked off the list....no car!!!

Now if July would only get here!

Hi--

Just read all of the responses and one option is missing--the Ferry! Especially in July, you can hop on the Ferry to go to DD. We look forward to our little boat ride from the HH! Buses will take you to all of the parks or DD, the only complicated thing is if you want to go to another resort and have to transfer.

We've belonged at OKW since 1993, always drive because we live in Georgia, and like other posts only use our car to go get groceries.

It's purely personal. You don'T NEED a car at Old Key West more than at any other resort. We like to have a car so we find that it's an added bonus that OKW is very car friendly.
J

Nah.

You can get by without one.

We have had a car and not had a car and was fine either time.

Save yourself some $$$$.

Always have a car and would never again be w/o one--especially at car friendly OKW!!
But as has been said, bus service is fine.

We stayed at OKW this past January with no car, and it was no problem. We love using Disney transportation while at WDW, and OKW service was very good. JMO

We didn't have a car the last two times we stayed at OKW and didn't miss it. We had no problems with Disney Transportation. Made most of our transferres at one of the parks, instead of at DTD. The parks seemed to be less of a wait than at DTD. We also decided to purchase the DDP, that way we could try out different disney restaurants and didn't have to worry about making a trip to the grocery store or having groceries deliver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter