Do you ever make a reservation at a restaurant only to drop it later?

I don't think people realized how this really screws up the system, or they don't care. If people didn't save seating, the people with food would probably be done eating about the time the others were ready to sit down with their food. We've seen the same thing at multiple QS restaurants.

This has been talked about at great length before. It seems that since it is not "against" the rules that many feel like there is nothing wrong with it. Kind of like, "well everyone else does it" type of thing. I just returned from my trip yesterday and although I try to eat at off times, sometimes my stomach and blood sugar did not cooperate. As a solo traveler, I had some trouble finding a table right away in the busier times. What I saw a lot of on this trip were people that where just using the tables as a place to sit in the air conditioning and not even eating. Or those who ate but stayed at the table on their phones long after they were done. I do wish that people would be more considerate at the busy times of the day. I think that they should enclose one of the seating areas in the Tomorrowland Terrace and make that into and air conditioned resting area. If people had someplace to go and sit and cool off, then I think that they would not use the restaurants as much. And also cast members could go around and tell people to go there if they are not eating.

We got Cindy's when we called the day before on our 2012 WDW vacation - I guess there was a cancellation the day before,
So do not give up on an ADR - just look the day before for an ADR that you want :)

Reading this makes wonder if you can go down without any reservations and get something because of the, usual, 24 hr cancellation policy. I caught a Dreams Unlimited Vlog where they were talking about reservations and canceling. Tracey, one of the travel agents, had said the she is usually able to get a reservation at a restaurant because people will book several reservations and then cancel within 24 hrs of the reservation. Now, that's not to say she doesn't make a reservation, because I think she said she usually makes 1 or 2 before coming down. But, she's able to add a reservation because of people cancelling. Has anyone tried this before? Just curious. I think I would try and get at least one reservation but try for something else knowing people are going to be canceling.
We have done this a few times over the years. It just depends on time of year and how popular the restaurant is I think. We usually can walk right up and get a table more often than not - especially later at night.

For the vast majority of Disney restaurants, there's really no reason to make reservations far in advance. The most popular places book early, no question -- places like Be Our Guest or Cinderella's Royal Table or 'Ohana. But most of the time, we decide where we want to eat an hour or two before sitting down, usually based on where we are at the time and how hungry we are. There's always tons of availability around the property.

As an example: We were at the Magic Kingdom two weeks ago on a Saturday. The park was extremely crowded. We were ready to leave and wanted dinner. We checked the app and snagged a prime table at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Worked out great.

We have done this a few times over the years. It just depends on time of year and how popular the restaurant is I think. We usually can walk right up and get a table more often than not - especially later at night.
For the vast majority of Disney restaurants, there's really no reason to make reservations far in advance. The most popular places book early, no question -- places like Be Our Guest or Cinderella's Royal Table or 'Ohana. But most of the time, we decide where we want to eat an hour or two before sitting down, usually based on where we are at the time and how hungry we are. There's always tons of availability around the property.

As an example: We were at the Magic Kingdom two weeks ago on a Saturday. The park was extremely crowded. We were ready to leave and wanted dinner. We checked the app and snagged a prime table at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Worked out great.

DO you find that there are certain times of the day when it's easier to get a table? Are you more than likely able to get a table early in the evening, or late?

DO you find that there are certain times of the day when it's easier to get a table? Are you more than likely able to get a table early in the evening, or late?
It's so hard to say, because the answer depends so much on the restaurant, the day of the week and the time of year you're looking. But just as an example, I looked at what's available today for a party of four for breakfast. In the next hour, you could be sitting down at Be Our Guest, Boma, Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey's, Cinderella Royal Table, Crystal Palace, 'Ohana and many more. All of those places have tables between now and a bit after 9 a.m.

all the time. plans change; its better to have a highly coveted reservation if theres even a chance you'll use it. just remember to cancel at least 24 hours ahead of time if you change your mind

I have booked FF so many times and cancelled it every time. I'm just a weirdo.
Not at all. This is exactly one of the restaurants I was thinking about when I posted. We have made reservations here more than once since the remodel - only to cancel and pick something else up a few days before. Il Mulino and Yachtsman are two others. For some reason, when we get close, we get cold feet or something and then go with a favorite.

You got it - we almost never get turned away if we walk right up when restaurant opens or 5 ish or 9 pm or later.

I’ve changed so many reservations for one reason or another, including very last minute. I won’t usually make a reservation for the sake of making it though. I only reserve what I do intend to use.

We normally make a few changes in our ADRs for changes in our schedules, like others. There are a couple restaurants that we discuss before every trip but we never actually go to, including Flying Fish and Yachtsman. Another one is Marrakeche. I'm concerned it won't be authentic enough and the rest of my party is worried it won't be Americanized enough. I will recommend the Boathouse, but last time we walked up to a seat on the bar outside on the water. Beautiful view and we had the lobster appetizer and the filet mignon appetizer which were both exceptional.

in the past i have booked California Grill for several trips but always end up cancelling it. sometimes we plan for more meals than we have energy to attend and because it takes travel time it is the one we usually cancel. sometimes we are unable to make a reservation made in arrival day and have to cancel too.

We normally make a few changes in our ADRs for changes in our schedules, like others. There are a couple restaurants that we discuss before every trip but we never actually go to, including Flying Fish and Yachtsman. Another one is Marrakeche. I'm concerned it won't be authentic enough and the rest of my party is worried it won't be Americanized enough. I will recommend the Boathouse, but last time we walked up to a seat on the bar outside on the water. Beautiful view and we had the lobster appetizer and the filet mignon appetizer which were both exceptional.
That sounds right up our alley. Maybe we 'll do the exact same thing and I can finally cross the Boathouse off of our list of haven't tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter