Do you sneak food into the movies?

It appears nobody is aware (or cares?) that theaters receive very little of the ticket price, so get the bulk of their revenue from concession sales?

Actually, I think people sneak things in because they are aware of this. I don't think people would do this if concession prices weren't so astronomical compared to outside the theatre. When I have to pay $4.00 for a pack of Sour Punch Straws and I can get that same exact product for $1.25 at my local Stater Bros, something is wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can understand why people do it.

I'll still buy a soda or a juice if I go to the theatres though, maybe even a small popcorn.

Actually, I think people sneak things in because they are aware of this. I don't think people would do this if concession prices weren't so astronomical compared to outside the theatre. When I have to pay $4.00 for a pack of Sour Punch Straws and I can get that same exact product for $1.25 at my local Stater Bros, something is wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can understand why people do it.

I'll still buy a soda or a juice if I go to the theatres though, maybe even a small popcorn.
I'd like to point out though the price difference is literally everywhere though even between different stores you buy from, even when discussing generic/off brand with name brand, even when discussing going out to restaurants and sporting events.

Why do I have to pay $9 for a beer that I can get an entire 6 pack for that price. Why do I pay more for Nyquil vs Equate brand, why do I pay more at Price Chopper or Hen House vs Wal-Mart or Hy-Vee?

All these sorts of things happen in our day to day lives.

I'd like to point out though the price difference is literally everywhere though even between different stores you buy from, even when discussing generic/off brand with name brand, even when discussing going out to restaurants and sporting events.

Why do I have to pay $9 for a beer that I can get an entire 6 pack for that price. Why do I pay more for Nyquil vs Equate brand, why do I pay more at Price Chopper or Hen House vs Wal-Mart or Hy-Vee?

All these sorts of things happen in our day to day lives.

But usually the difference in cost between retailers is a few pennies, not double or triple the normal cost.

I bring my own water bottles but we always buy popcorn and DD’s movie treat is Buncha Crunch. Sometimes I’ll get Junior Mints. I would bring my own, but the store is very out of the way of the theater we usually go to and sometimes a movie is a last minute decision.

A theater in a different town actually has a sign hanging by the ticket counter that says they can and will search your purse if they want. We stopped going to that one years ago, not because of the sign but because the floors in the theater are so sticky it’s just gross, and the staff is so rude there. The theater we go to now has friendly workers and reclining chairs and if we hit the early show it’s several dollars cheaper than the other place.

It appears nobody is aware (or cares?) that theaters receive very little of the ticket price, so get the bulk of their revenue from concession sales?

I am aware, and always have been, which is why now that my kids are older, I'll buy them something from the stand if they want it. But when they were 1 or 2 years old, no way. The theaters are aware that very small children show up for kid movies. They could easily add some items that parents would feel better/safer giving to those children, but they opt not to offer those things. I can't buy what they don't sell. :)

I am aware, and always have been, which is why now that my kids are older, I'll buy them something from the stand if they want it. But when they were 1 or 2 years old, no way. The theaters are aware that very small children show up for kid movies. They could easily add some items that parents would feel better/safer giving to those children, but they opt not to offer those things. I can't buy what they don't sell. :)

They should offer kid-friendly items. My local Cinema West sells fruit snacks and Honest Kids juice. That's something at least.

Our theaters only have a policy against glass bottles these days. So technically, it's not sneaking anything in.

I am aware but am more of the" I care more about my bottom line then the movie theater's." Plus I can a better selection of candy and my drink at a dollar store.
Without revenue, theaters may not be able to keep up or even stay open.
It's not my responsibility to further enable distributors to gouge the theaters by buying popcorn.
Distributors, studois, etc., are not going to change the percentage of ticket sales they charge so that theater owners can possibly lower concession prices.

A more effective reaction would be to wait until the movie comes to network television, or at least Redbox.
But usually the difference in cost between retailers is a few pennies, not double or triple the normal cost.
reaction
The person you quoted gave an accurate example of much, much more than "pennies": a six-pack of beer retail is $9, vs a single beer in a bar is $9. That's a 486% markup, or 4,500 pennies :)

There are plenty of people who want the whole movie experience and pay more for it.
Kids parties, Senior Citizen outings all help keep them open.

The only movies I've been to in the past 10 years was ones we took our students to on a school trip. I was so busy monitoring kids and whatnot I never ate or drank anything during the shows.

When we did the occasional movie when the boys were young we always bought popcorn and Twizzlers and one big pop which they shared.

I used to sneak candy or soda in. I now go to the movies so infrequently that we just go to Studio Movie Grill. We go on Tuesdays for $5, then purchase dinner.

I bring in water, but I always have a bottle of water in my bag all the time. There is a dollar store in the mall across from the theater where we go and there are tons of people buying candy and drinks for so cheap to bring into the movies. There is also a Panera in the mall and I see lots of people carrying Panera bags with sandwiches. We usually go to the dollar store to get candy. I eat gf, so I usually bring in some gf snacks/cookies.

Yes I do. I don't like popcorn so it is not an issue for me to miss out on movie popcorn. The last time we went I brought my own sparkling water and candy. I used to bring soda (but I gave that up), I also will bring pretzels or something. I have never brought like a sandwich or anything though.

I would be totally fine if movie theaters went the way of the Dodo bird and you could pay to stream new releases directly to your home. I'd pay $20 to stream the new Avengers opening weekend at my home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter