Do you think the 50% borrowing limit is hurting more than helping?

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
Just thinking that there may be people out there wanting and willing to travel NOW but they can't borrow the points they need. Wouldn't it be better if people were using up next UY points now???

If (when) the system gets clogged up, implement the borrowing rule at that time. Or am I not thinking this through properly?

I think that allowing it for reservations within 60 days would be nice.

I wonder if the problem is whether they can prevent someone from doing that, then modifying it via the website for a much later date, essentially as a work around.

So, it may be more logistics. I am surprised they are still returning borrowed points to be honest.

I think it has helped. There are still members who have October use years with points from 2018 that need a chance to reschedule before 11/30/2020. They can't even try because DVC can't extend those points until after 10/1. There are also a lot of extra banked 2019 points in the system, so the borrowing limitations help absorb those points, too.

On the upside there seems to be a good variety of availability across all dvc resorts & room types. Hopefully whoever wants to use their points will find something that works.

I think it will help in 2021, but it should not have been implemented in 2020. There is a ton of open availability right now and for every point that is not being used now, will just be another point that will need to be used in 2021/2022. For instance my kids are off of school next week and if I could borrow points I would book a trip for them using say 100 points or so. But with the 50% limit I cannot make it work out right now, thus keeping those points into future years where availability may be much more restricted.

I think it has helped. There are still members who have October use years with points from 2018 that need a chance to reschedule before 11/30/2020. They can't even try because DVC can't extend those points until after 10/1. There are also a lot of extra banked 2019 points in the system, so the borrowing limitations help absorb those points, too.
But those points are not being used right now. If anything DVC should be doing whatever they can to encourage people to use points right now, not make it more restrictive. Every room not being booked today is just going to make it that much harder to book in 2021/2022

But those points are not being used right now. If anything DVC should be doing whatever they can to encourage people to use points right now, not make it more restrictive. Every room not being booked today is just going to make it that much harder to book in 2021/2022
I agree. They have compounded the problem, not alleviated it. Obviously Disney thought people would be banging down the doors to go to wdw. Where we live, no one wears masks unless they absolutely have to. So people I know will not go to wdw while masks are required. On the flip side, there are obviously people in other parts of the country who feel like it is risky to go to wdw even with masks and other precautions. I get the feeling that the group in the middle is small. Those are the people going to Disney right now. The thing that is crazy about Disney is that their corporate structure worries me a bit. They do not seem to be able to back down from mistakes. Obviously, restricting point usage now and even in the next 11 months (lots of openings) is insane. Why won’t Disney back down? They need to start admitting mistakes and reverse bad decisions.

I agree. They have compounded the problem, not alleviated it. Obviously Disney thought people would be banging down the doors to go to wdw. Where we live, no one wears masks unless they absolutely have to. So people I know will not go to wdw while masks are required. On the flip side, there are obviously people in other parts of the country who feel like it is risky to go to wdw even with masks and other precautions. I get the feeling that the group in the middle is small. Those are the people going to Disney right now. The thing that is crazy about Disney is that their corporate structure worries me a bit. They do not seem to be able to back down from mistakes. Obviously, restricting point usage now and even in the next 11 months (lots of openings) is insane. Why won’t Disney back down? They need to start admitting mistakes and reverse bad decisions.
I guess there is a chance that they are assuming a decent amount of points are just going to "go to waste" and never be used. I do wonder how many points just go unused every year by people who just forget to bank, or are just not really that worried about it etc? Maybe also Disney does not want the resorts super full right now for social distancing reasons? That would be the only thing that would make sense to me for them not to open up at least the rest of 2020 and into early 2021. Because you are 100% right that once people really start booking rooms in mass again I have no idea how the DVC system is going to handle all of these points if many are just not wasted.

. I do wonder how many points just go unused every year by people who just forget to bank, or are just not really that worried about it etc?
It's a lot. If it wasn't, we wouldn't see breakage income maxed out in the budgets every year. I think most who post here would be very surprised at the number of points that go unused.

It's a lot. If it wasn't, we wouldn't see breakage income maxed out in the budgets every year. I think most who post here would be very surprised at the number of points that go unused.

Agreed. I have an acquaintance who has owned at GCV since it opened. In all those years, they have used their points maybe 7 times. It's not high on the list of things they think about. I've offered to rent the points from him on more than one occasion, but he just doesn't want to bother with it. He's perfectly happy paying the dues and using the points when they think about it. I'm pretty sure he's not the only person that does that.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter