Do you trust your DVC guide?

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Last year, I spoke to my guide about the availability of points for an add-on. At the time, I was told that there was at least a one-year wait and no additional names were being added to the waitlist. Within a week or so, I received a call from my guide that points were available for purchase.

Today, I spoke to my guide about another add-on and was told, again, that no points are available, there is at least a one-year wait, and no additional names are being added to the waitlist. If I was to guess, I suspect that I will receive a call within the next few weeks.

When you speak to your guide, do you generally feel that you are receiving the most accurate information?

Nope. I had to repeatedly pin mine to the wall with very specific questions just to get a straight answer out of him. Several times I had to repeat questions because the answers I received were wonderful, except they didn't answer the question I asked. My guide was a smooth talker, but I do not believe he had integrity.

I still bought 25 points directly to get the DVC benefits, though.

My guide has been great. Added on three times with her and was about to add a fourth when CCV went on the market (till I saw the annual dues). One add on I was on waitlist for two weeks and another for about two months and third time I called and points were available right then. In my discussions with her she did tell me BCV waitlist was closed but if any UY had points available I would be able to buy them....points do come up available when they foreclose or take in ROFR. We were considering buying small BCV with in laws on the deed too so it would be new membership number and we could have bought any UY. Though direct pricing has hit a wall for DH and he refuses to buy direct again.

I've considered starting a thread regarding this same subject. We had our DVC tour at the beginning of this month and insisted on purchasing BCV points as we'll mainly be heading to WDW for RunDisney events. Our guide found points and set us up to buy 50 points. A couple hours later she called saying the points couldn't be purchased by someone living in CA as they weren't deeded for our state. We found the whole thing incredibly sketchy. She had us wait a few days and then we were somewhat forced to get those points at Poly in order to not lose our guide hold for Marathon weekend in January. She also informed us that she was leaving for a ten day cruise and that we'd see what became available while she was gone and that we'd rewrite the contract at that point. She mentioned end of June/beginning of July, so we're just waiting.... Does this seem legit? Are members ever permitted to request a new guide? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I've considered starting a thread regarding this same subject. We had our DVC tour at the beginning of this month and insisted on purchasing BCV points as we'll mainly be heading to WDW for RunDisney events. Our guide found points and set us up to buy 50 points. A couple hours later she called saying the points couldn't be purchased by someone living in CA as they weren't deeded for our state. We found the whole thing incredibly sketchy. She had us wait a few days and then we were somewhat forced to get those points at Poly in order to not lose our guide hold for Marathon weekend in January. She also informed us that she was leaving for a ten day cruise and that we'd see what became available while she was gone and that we'd rewrite the contract at that point. She mentioned end of June/beginning of July, so we're just waiting.... Does this seem legit? Are members ever permitted to request a new guide? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
You can request a new guide and can even, if you know a name, request a specific person. We did that. I researched and came across a name and called the main DVC number and asked to be switched to the person I read about. They did and she has been great.

We called a specific guide directly who was recommended by our resale agent. She was great to deal with and we had our 25 pt add on taken care of while on the phone. I wouldn't trust many of them at face value from things I have read on here and would always recommend doing some homework ahead of time.

We bought from our original guide three more times after the first time (this was before there was much of a resale market and two of the three were new resorts). I think she was pregnant for each of the three. I told her we probably wouldn't buy another if she wasn't looking to have another child. We were moved over to another guide and haven't talked to him ever. Plus we have zero intention of ever buying more DVC points.

We like our guide, he's polite and keeps in touch, we always get a courtesy call when staying on site. But as others have said, they are salesman and are there to do a job, which is to sell for Disney and that's it, so I have no illusions as to their motives. I do "trust" him to try and keep selling me more points, and to not be blatantly dishonest in doing so (as that would harm Disneys reputation.)

It is true that some states can't buy over the phone and have to buy at WDW in person. I thought that was with newly selling resorts like CCV now but maybe it's always.

Legally, you only have 10 days to rewrite the contract, so it seems "interesting" that she'll be in a 10 day cruise after you sign the contract. I'd rescind immediately, book the resort you want for cash, and buy BCV on the resale market. You should still come out ahead.

People who make a living selling may learn that bending the truth results in increased sales. Disney can call them guides but they are timeshare sales people. Disney can call their timeshares a club but it is a timeshare and members are really owners, some qualified for perks and others who aren't.

:earsboy: Bill

First, it's kind of hard to trust our guide when we don't even know who he/she is. We bought 15 years ago, and about 8 years later we got a call from someone introducing herself as our new guide. At that time, I said "Oh, you must have taken over for Glenn [our original guide]" "no", she told us, he left about 3 years ago"-we'd had some other guide in the meantime, and we never knew. After another 7 years, who knows who we have now. And since all our purchases in the meantime have been resale, we don't really have reason to care. And no, I don't have reason to trust our guide. They may be nice people, just biased.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not...I'm trying to contact our guide, Ricardo Florez. Would someone be able to PM me his email address?

Thanks!

My guide did his best to educate me on DVC timeshare, and did a good job. The only fault I noticed, in hindsight, is that he focused mostly on SSR, which hadn't sold out yet; and only mentioned resales of other resorts after I brought it up. He sounded like resales were scarce and it might take months to get what I wanted. It was his "marching orders" from on high to push SSR, and I was a novice in timeshares with timeshare fever. I couldn't wait. Still, some 10 years later I'm still pleased with what be purchased, but wonder "what if I had waited".

I have to say, yes, I absolutely trust our guide. Here are two things that happened which led to my opinion.

After a particularly angering stay at one of the Marriott timeshares in the area, at the urging of a friend and DVC member, we "stopped in" to check out the DVC. We decided to purchase BLT, and signed paperwork about a week later from home. Before the closing, our guide called to apologize for not realizing I was entitled to a discount (which at the time I knew nothing about) and said he'd re-write the contract for the new, lower amount. I was wondering what the angle was and did some digging... the discount was legit. He could have easily kept the original amount which I'm sure would have earned him more commission or bonus or whatever they get, and I'd never have known.

Second... we were on a painfully long wait to add some VGC points. This was when $/point were ratcheting up frequently. When the points finally came up, the period for the guaranteed rate in the contract had expired. I was quite disappointed and wasn't really in the mood to pay the new, higher rate. He worked it and honored the originally-quoted rate. I'm sure I wasn't the last one on the waiting list... and the next might have paid the new, higher rate.

These two incidents were 2009 and 2011, a ways back. With the points are so high now, I'm not really interested in purchasing more, so I don't have more recent experiences with my guide. But, I'll say I was genuinely impressed with the honesty of my guide back then.

I trusted our first guide. Then he left because apparently he wasn't doing things the way DVC wanted them to be done. I don't know our second guide at all.

We had our DVC tour at the beginning of this month and insisted on purchasing BCV points as we'll mainly be heading to WDW for RunDisney events.

Well, why do you feel that BCV is the only resort needed for rundisney? For rundisney events so far I've stayed at All Star Music, SSR, POR, Bay Lake, AOA, and even Royal Pacific up at Universal, and they've all been good. Even if the start is at Epcot you still have to get on the bus to get there. And if the finish is at Epcot you can only walk through the park to get "home" if you have admission. Not sure that is THAT convenient.

A couple hours later she called saying the points couldn't be purchased by someone living in CA as they weren't deeded for our state.

Makes no sense as far as I know. And what supersnoop said about rewriting the contract would make me run far away after rescinding the contract.

My guide did his best to educate me on DVC timeshare, and did a good job. The only fault I noticed, in hindsight, is that he focused mostly on SSR, which hadn't sold out yet; and only mentioned resales of other resorts after I brought it up. He sounded like resales were scarce and it might take months to get what I wanted. It was his "marching orders" from on high to push SSR, and I was a novice in timeshares with timeshare fever. I couldn't wait. Still, some 10 years later I'm still pleased with what be purchased, but wonder "what if I had waited".

If they were still selling SSR, if you had waited, you would have gotten Bay Lake or AKV, yes?

Or do you mean not purchased direct and gone with resale? Sometimes I wish we had done that, but it was truly possible for us at that time, and we've learned a lot about our financial weaknesses and strengths from purchasing (and financing) direct.

Last year, I spoke to my guide about the availability of points for an add-on. At the time, I was told that there was at least a one-year wait and no additional names were being added to the waitlist. Within a week or so, I received a call from my guide that points were available for purchase.

Today, I spoke to my guide about another add-on and was told, again, that no points are available, there is at least a one-year wait, and no additional names are being added to the waitlist. If I was to guess, I suspect that I will receive a call within the next few weeks.

When you speak to your guide, do you generally feel that you are receiving the most accurate information?
Timeshare sales people, say no more. Seriously, DVC guides are a cut above but until you had years of them proving they should be trustworthy, I'd say no and even then, one needs to be independently informed.

...I was told that there was at least a one-year wait and no additional names were being added to the waitlist. Within a week or so, I received a call from my guide that points were available for purchase...

I had a similar experience years ago when I told our guide that we wanted to buy into a resort different from the one DVC was featuring at that time. I didn't feel "cheated," as he did quickly come up with what we asked for and I'm sure he'd been directed to focus on DVC's current offering. In general, this kind of behavior is sunshine itself compared to the dark and billowing smoke that comes from most timeshare salespeople.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter