Do your schools get President's Week off?

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Back when I was in school, we got two Mondays in a row off for Washington and Lincoln birthdays. At some point, they were combined into President's Day. When my kids started school, most districts around here started closing for the entire week. It's known as President's Week, Winter Break, or Ski Week. We live in California about 4-5 hours from the ski slopes. Because more and more families were taking ski trips during this week and pulling their kids out of school, they decided to make it a week off. We still get our mandated number of instructional days. They just adjust the start and end times of the school year to fit it in.

Apparently, this is a California thing? My son is a college freshman, attending a university in Florida. He said not one of his friends there has heard of having this entire week off from school. They all thought he was crazy when he said he got the week off. I told him the history of this being a ski week and to ask his college friends who are also from California.

Does anyone else's school district take this week off? Is it truly a California/ski thing?

We're in CA and DS9 still only gets the two Mondays off. He does get three weeks off for Christmas/New Year's where most schools around here get two weeks, so I'm guessing that's where the difference comes from?

No. Presidents Day falls too close to Mardi Gras. Our schools take 2 or 3 days for Mardi Gras. Ain't nobody got time for President 's day when there are parades, beads and throws and family time.

Not in SC. We didn’t even get Monday off as it was a make-up day for snow. But we get out for summer at Memorial Day. We got back before September.

In Maine growing up we got February and April week off. But school went until mid June and started after Labor Day. I think most of New England does this same thing.

I had Monday off K-12. My university doesn’t have President’s Day off or Labor Day. We also don’t have a fall break, which I think is common for other schools.

My kids have 3 days off, one for Presidents’ Day and two for conferences. The public schools in my area have the whole week off

ETA we are in metro Atlanta

Over the years I I've always heard about fall break, winter break, spring break, NJ week, Patriots day and all these other breaks and always think "Do your kids ever go to school?" :)

Our kids used to get all the normal Mondays including just yesterday

• Thanksgiving Thursday Friday Monday (hunting area)
  • Xmas Friday before and came back Tuesday after NYD.
  • Sprint Break Thursday Friday Monday around Easter
Start week before Labor day and end June 5th

Northeast gets it - my favorite time to visit Disney! Next year!!! People here assume Disney will be packed all week - yes to Monday, but just because literally *every* person you know is going, it's only from this area, and apparently part of CA!

Not a California-only thing. I know Boston public schools and NYC public schools have the week off.

We live in a resort area and get loads of folks from the Northeast who are on school break. Our local school district gives our kids the week AFTER off, so us locals can enjoy the area once things die back down to "normal." It's also easier to get flights out the week after President's Day.

Our school once in awhile had Monday off but that was about it. The only week they get off after Christmas is the 1st week in April.....Spring Break! :banana:

Yes, I believe they started it here in the northeast during the energy crisis in the 70’s. I started school in 1972, always had presidents week off, my kids still do. Personally, I’d rather get out of school earlier than the very end of June, but we are having freaky warm weather this week, so not too bad. I seems like they were just home at Christmas, and will be off again in April for a week.

We had a 4 day weekend. Friday was a "teacher development day" and Monday was President's Day. We do not get the whole week though. The kids don't have an extended break between Winter Break (Christmas/New Year) and Spring Break (last week of March.) Edited to add: We're in Ohio.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!