Do your schools get President's Week off?

My kids had Monday and then Tuesday was a teacher development day.

Most schools in central Indiana had only Monday.

I live in Metro Atlanta, in Cobb County. While our schools are not on what I would call year round school, they do have several week breaks throughout the school year and this week does happen to be one of them. They have more of a spring break in early April.

Our district here in CT used to take the whole week off, but they changed it a year or two ago. Now they just get Monday and Tuesday off. It allows them to get out of school earlier. It seems like with all the days off and snow days, they weren't getting out till almost the end of June, but not they get out around the 10th. Some schools in the state had school all week, some took a day or two and others had the whole week.

Where I grew up in Oregon, we didn't have a winter break, just the Monday off.

My buddy's kids (Buford, GA) were scheduled to have the week off but snow took some of those days so instead they only had Mon/Tue off. My kids (Gwinnett Co. GA) had Monday off.

Metro Atlanta and our schools get the week off. We get a week off in September for fall break, a week off for thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week in February and a week in April for spring break.

Love this calendar as it makes traveling during the school year so easy.

No, in MN. My kids get about a day a month off... they had this Monday off, and then they will have March 9th off. Then Spring Break the last week of the month. Then nothing until May 21.

Week? No.
Presidents' Day, yes.

Pennsylvania's 180 day requirements keep us from having too many days off. There are a few random teacher inservice days so they don't get a full week for Presidents' Day. We also get snow days.

I'm in NJ. Never had the week off but in the last 10-15 years they have been making it a 4 day weekend in my district. The Friday before is usually Professional Development Day and then President's Day that Monday.

I'm in NJ. Never had the week off but in the last 10-15 years they have been making it a 4 day weekend in my district. The Friday before is usually Professional Development Day and then President's Day that Monday.
....my sister's district too....

I'm on Long Island, and everyone is off.

For us, February break dates back to the Energy Crisis in the late 70's. At that time, there were two separate holidays this week. It became very expensive to close for two separate holidays, then have to reheat the schools. Sometimes there would be an additional snow day during the week... my daughter's birthday was Saturday and I don't remember a year when there wasn't snow on the ground on Feb. 17.

So just about all schools, including colleges, are closed this week. It's a lovely week off- no holidays to prepare for, just time at home.

And it should help tremendously in terms of the flu epidemic. We had SO MANY kids out last week.. in some of my classes I was averaging 12 kids out (out of 32-38 per class) one day about a week ago. Part of that was a combination of Senioritis and several papers due, but the kids (and faculty) are overwhelmingly sick. Hopefully someone is opening the windows in the unusually moderate weather, and hitting the whole building with Lysol.

I think the schools here in Delaware just get the actual Monday off for Presidents Day. At least that's how it was when my daughters attended.

Back before they combined Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays into Presidents Day, I think we got both days off if they fell on weekdays.

In Junior and Senior High, my district got the Friday and Monday of Presidents weekend off.

I always thought it was a Northeast thing. They call it "February Recess" here in upstate NY. It's always been this way here, and I'm 31.

Most Western NY schools have the week off. I don't remember having the week off when I was in school but I did have a two week break during Easter. My kids only have a week off for Easter. I heard it was to conserve fuel because February is cold and they can lower the heat when students aren't there. And, it was too hard to have a two week break in late March/April with the State Assessment tests they now have.

Way back when we had a week off after Christmas break and before Easter break, called Mid-Winter recess, but I can't recall if that was President's week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter