Does DVC have a problem with renting points?

SherylLC

DIS Veteran
I have been renting a lot of my points through David's. I completed another rental and DVC has never sent a confirmation, even though I can see the reservation in my account. I called twice and asked them to send a copy with no response. Should I be getting ready for a spanking?

I haven't rented my points. but I honestly didn't know that they would still send regular confirmations. It seems redundant with My Disney Experience, once you have the confirmation number. A You could always print the screen showing the reservation from the DVC website.

Last edited:
You mean you haven't gotten an email confirmation? I have still gotten even today when having family on the room.

You should be able to call and ask for a new email but I'd agree that with MDE it's a bit unnecessary unless of course it's for VGC which can't link.

Renting is allowed up to a number that DVC determines is the commercial threshold. As far as I know that number isn't published anywhere which gives Disney the ability to change it as they see fit.

:earsboy: Bill

We were just told by a CM at Grand Californian that renting wasn't allowed and the owner should not have rented us points. We are VERY frequent renters, so we knew that was false, but it still made my heart drop as I was standing in the lobby with my tired family.

On topic we never receive the DVC "welcome home" confirmation email for WDW resorts, but we did receive it for Grand Californian.

We were just told by a CM at Grand Californian that renting wasn't allowed and the owner should not have rented us points. We are VERY frequent renters, so we knew that was false, but it still made my heart drop as I was standing in the lobby with my tired family.

On topic we never receive the DVC "welcome home" confirmation email for WDW resorts, but we did receive it for Grand Californian.
Yeah not sure why the CM would ever say that renting isn't allowed, though I suspect DLR CMs are much less informed about DVC compared to WDW (where it is already a bit low). The only renting not allowed is commercial renting which is limited by the total number of points an owner owns and I believe currently an owner can rent out 20 reservations a year.

David's just told me that you can rent (reservations under names other than owner) up to twenty times per year with no point limit without problem. Not sure if this is "official" or not. David's also claims in 14 years in operation, no renters have ever had a problem.

Also, thanks all for above responses!

David's just told me that you can rent (reservations under names other than owner) up to twenty times per year with no point limit without problem. Not sure if this is "official" or not. David's also claims in 14 years in operation, no renters have ever had a problem.

DVC sent out the info on 20 rentals many years ago as a threshold where your account might get looked at. It's not a hard and fast rule. If they think you're in it professionally then they could choose at any time to challenge. But renting out spare points isn't an issue.

David isn't aware of the owner who had his reservations cancelled. It was a few years ago.

5-6 years ago I talked to the person in the auditing department that looks into renting and she had said that they use 20 reservations over a 12 month rolling period. So that can be 10 reservations for yourself and 10 rentals reservations, that would trigger the account to be looked at. It does make those split stays add up to more reservations.

I am sure Disney wishes that they could eliminate renting.

From the DVC website:

Q.As a Disney Vacation Club Member, can I rent my Vacation Points?

A.Members may rent their Vacation Points. However, the use of your Vacation Points for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited. Commercial purpose includes a pattern of rental activity or other occupancy by a Member that the Board of Condominium Association, in its reasonable discretion, could conclude constitutes a commercial enterprise or practice.

So, it seems that the 20 number they are telling people may trigger an examination as to whether you are running a commercial enterprise...

While 20 seems to be the unwritten number, DVCMC can set the number where they want. Until renting competes with Disney booking cash rooms, it will continued to be allowed. Disney looks at the revenue generated by the guests renting the DVC rooms and since it makes them money, renting is allowed.

:earsboy: Bill

As many have mentioned, renting is allowed, but it's always a good idea to be somewhat discreet and refer to "guests" as opposed to "renters", since some CMs do seem to be under the misapprehension that it is not. I always receive a DVC confirmation email when reserving either for ourselves or for someone renting our points; in fact David's always asks for this confirmation email to be forwarded along to them.

I thought that the official policy is that you can rent, but DVC will Only discuss the reservations with the owner. Renters can’t contact DVC directly, and DVC will not contact renters directly. Everything has to go thru the owner, including the confirmation email

I think this is to protect the owners. I know I did a “surprise “ reservation for my daughter. I would have been annoyed if DVC spilled the beans by sending her a confirmation.

I thought that the official policy is that you can rent, but DVC will Only discuss the reservations with the owner. Renters can’t contact DVC directly, and DVC will not contact renters directly. Everything has to go thru the owner, including the confirmation email

I think this is to protect the owners. I know I did a “surprise “ reservation for my daughter. I would have been annoyed if DVC spilled the beans by sending her a confirmation.
This is to protect Disney, actually. If there are any issues with the transaction, they want no part of it. Getting involved is to potentially accept some liability.

It's 20 total, not 20 in your name, when they start looking at the issue.

If Disney cared, they couldn't eliminate renting, but they could make it far less attractive. For instance, renters do not get access to meal plans or magical express. Members get priority check in - if you are not staying in your own room on your own points - or traveling WITH a member staying with their points - you will get what is left. Over time Disney could figure out which rooms get the most complaints on them (they might have that data now) - bad views, too far down the hall, too noisy - and hand those out last - to those waiting renters. Disney offers perks to anyone staying on property, but those perks do not need to be extended to renters (or frankly DVC at all), so they could (and given coding of magic bands for perks - it wouldn't be too difficult) limit early entry for instance for non members staying on points not traveling with a member.

This would mean that when you gift your points to your adult children, they wouldn't be traveling with you and would lose some of the perks, but Disney COULD do this if it were important enough to limit renting. While some members would find that problematic, I suspect as many or more would be thrilled by priority room allocation for members - knowing that if someone isn't getting into their room until 7pm to discover its the room over the luggage loading area for Magical Express or the HA room they don't need or the weird room with no balcony - it probably isn't going to be them. And I don't think it would make sales less attractive, since renters would know that with membership comes advantages in check in.

That they never have done any of this makes me believe that they would rather have occupied rooms than discourage renting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts