• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing Universal this trip - no WDW just for a change - will we like it?

Antonia

DIS Veteran
We have always stayed at WDW - Wilderness Lodge in particular. This trip we are staying at Portofino Bay for 4 nights and doing nothing Disney just for a change. We still love Disney, but our 17 year old wants a change. Will we be disappointed? After our 4 nights at Portofino Bay we are heading up the coast and staying 2 nights near St. Augustine and enjoying the beach before heading for home. Any thoughts from people who have done Universal instead of Disney?

My comment really doesn't count since I'm biased but after walking around the parks talking to alot of people I've found alot of people who did Universal as a change and haven't done Disney since...

You will not be at all disappointed. Once you show your magic room key and go right into the express lines, you'll be in heaven!!

you arent missing a thing.....this will be a good trip. Disney gets really really boring after a while and universal and IOA is a nice change.

Antonia we are in the same boat as you....we were going to try and do both...split between RPR an POFQ...but washer flooded the house and $$$$$$$$$$$DOWN THE DRAIN SO TO SPEAK! We need to cut costs somewhere and I think it will be the $400 in park tix for WDW as we were there 5 days last summer and SW for 2. My main concern is DS is not a thrill rider and is only 48"...I hope he doesn't get too frustrated or bored. He is already disappointed that Slime Time Live won't be taping. We arrive on 7/4...no taping in the summer. DD will be the opposite...she's finally 54" and can't wait to get on stuff. We were thinking of going to Cocoa for 3 nights...a shuttle is scheduled for the day our flight leaves...I hope it beats the odds and lifts off on schedule!Maybe we will just stay at RPR the full 7 nights of our trip...I wish I knew how large the standard room is at RPR!

Let's see.... First of all, you will love Universal Studios as much as Disney if you stay at a Universal resort. The reason i am saying this is that you get front-of-the-line access to each and every ride at the studios and IOA. The lines get very long and its a huge relief to pass the hundreds of people and go to the front. You get a special VIP feeling! About the hotel you chose. My opinion is that Portifino is NOT the best choice. I just got back from there and was a little disappointed. Was it nice? Yes, but boats only come once every 20 minutes AND you must stand in line and you may not get on the 1st boat because it may be full so you may have to wait ANOTHER 20 min for another boat. The Portifino pool was nice, but adult, although i loved getting the chance to see a vacationing Robin Williams w/ his kids! Hard Rock Hotel is your best bet. It is a 3 min walk to Universal! Hurray! Boats come sooner too, as it is closer to the parks. The pool i can sum up in one word "Amazing" It was a big lagoon style pool and music is played in it! Last but not least, music is played everywhere, even in the pool. The best part is the HRH is CHEAPER. So, look at the ups and downs.. Discover that HRH might just be your cup of tea instead.
pEACE,
mAE

Wow! We are doing the same thing. I first booked HRH for 3 nights and AsMo for 5 nights then dedided to add 3 nights onto HRH and forget the AsMo this trip. We will go to MK on May 5th because we have Cinderella's reservations and my 5 year old DD is into the princesses. So we will be doing 3 days US/UIA and 1 or two days at WDW. I'm so glad to be hearing that I won't be dissapointed. We did WDW fully last May and Disneyland at Easter this year.

Hope you have fun!

HRH hotel was all boked for our dates - I did think that our 17-year-old would like it better, however. I may call back to see if there is any availability for our dates - right now we have the entertainment rate at Portofino and it was not available at HRH.

Don't forget you can take the universal bus from Portofino to the parks! Quick trip, it's Barry's favorite mode of travel. Personally, we love the boat ride. Relaxing and pretty, but we always go during off season and only wait longer than 10 min if we've just missed a boat.

Antonia, ask for a bay view, west wing room. (If you are booked into a standard room they may give you a complementary upgrade). That way you might be able to see when the boat is coming! Also, you can always take a walk (10 min max) to HRH to check out the activities.

My family has done WDW much more than Universal, due to the fact our DS has not been mature enough to enjoy all the attractions at IOA. He is now 10 and finally into thrill rides, so we are planning a trip in Oct. for our anniversary and can't wait! We also plan on spending 2 days of our Thanksgiving trip to WDW there. Since we have been to both, I'll try to help with what little my opinion can. :) I definitely don't think you will be disappointed in PBH compared to WL! PBH is the greatest! You're son probably would prefer HRH, but I don't think the adults would. We are planning on staying at HRH in Dec. only because we want club level. If they both had club level , I wouldn't have to think twice. PBH for me!!! I have to be fair and say, this will be our first trip to HRH, but I'm not really looking that forward to nonstop rock and roll 24 hrs. a day. If I were 17, it would be different. As far as the park comparisons: I always reccomend that my family and friends who come to visit us (we live in FL by the way) take there teens to Universal Escape. Not so much for Universal but for IOA. On the other hand, I reccomend that our visitors who are all adults or have small children go to WDW. The 17 yo. will not be disappointed, but the adults may. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you will be disappointed in Uescape, I just think you may go home wishing you hadn't completely skipped WDW. But I'm biased, I'm an Epcot addict! :D As for the beach: If you are looking for smooth clear water and huge white sand beaches, go to the Clearwater, ST Pete. area. If you are looking for waves, hit Cocoa Beach. It depends on what you're look for in a beach. My family happens to disagree on this one :) Sorry so long, but I hope I addressed all your concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter