Dolphin Hotel So Cheap on Hotels.com...Why?

CarolinaGuy21

Earning My Ears
My girlfriend and I just booked 5 nights at the Dolphin hotel from December 15th-20th on Hotels.com for only $200 a night (with free cancellation). This just seems ridiculously cheap for this time of the year. I know the Dolphin hotel is old but is still pretty nice. Does anybody have any idea why it is so cheap?

Also, will we be able to link our reservation to our My Disney Experience account since we booked on Hotels.com?

Thanks!

The Swan and Dolphin resorts are not run by Disney. If there is no convention, you may get a pretty decent rate. They have the advantage of location but there are certain amenities not afforded these hotels. You will not receive Magic Bands. You cannot charge to Magic Bands to your room. You can not use the Disney Magical Express from the airport. There may be others. They need to fill rooms too.

Sounds like a good deal to me! I've stayed at the Swan, and it's very nice. Be aware that the Dolphin has double beds, not queens. Maybe that's why it's less expensive?

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels thrive on convention and meeting business. If you stay there, chances are strong you'll see people wearing business-casual clothes with nametags.

From working in hotels, I can say that the back half of December is a dead zone when it comes to corporate business travel. With the holidays in the mix, companies don't schedule conferences or meetings.

This year, Hanukkah runs from December 12th to December 20th. It's likely that the Swan and Dolphin have zero meetings for the dates you listed. As such, they will lower their rates to fill the rooms with leisure guests.

Well, to answer the last question, yes you will be able to link your reservation to MDE. Probably need to wait 24 hours after booking for the hotel conf number to work (you can try linking it yourself on MDE).

Should that fail, you will either need to call Hotels.com's customer service or Disney (or Dolphin, actually?) and have them link it for you. They CAN link the res -- it's just a matter of talking to someone who knows what to do.

ETA: I'm pretty sure they just completed a renovation of all the resort rooms in the Dolphin, like in the beginning of September or thereabouts. So while the hotel itself is "old," I suspect your rooms will be fresh. Have a good time!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the great responses everybody.

If we do not receive magic bands, are we not allowed to use the extra magic hours? Also, do we get the advantage of the early fast pass booking from staying on Disney property?

Thanks for all the great responses everybody.

If we do not receive magic bands, are we not allowed to use the extra magic hours? Also, do we get the advantage of the early fast pass booking from staying on Disney property?

You use your ticket to access EMHs. Yes, you get 60 day FP booking. Why don't you go over to the Swan & Dolphin thread. There is a lot of good info there.

They just renovated all the guest rooms at the Dolphin as well as the Lobby. You will be getting a brand new room.

You won't get a Magic Band, but if you have them from a previous visit, they will still work. However, all you can use them for is your park ticket and Fastpasses, and your actual ticket will work fine for both. You can't use them for a room key or charging back to your room.

It's a fabulous resort in a fantastic location. My family and I love it, and I hope you do too. :)

Don't forget about their Resort Fee. I think it's somewhere around $20 a night, so you are looking at an additional $100 or so for the length of your trip (unless there was some sort of special you got where the waived the resort fees).

Have a great trip!

The resort fee is up to $28 per room plus tax. If you defer housekeeping, you will get a $5 credit you can use at any of their food outlets.

The $28 does stink, but you do get bottles of water and Starbucks coffee in your room. Housekeeping is generous with both.

We always look at the swolphin, but then after adding the resort and parking fee the cost goes up $50 per night and then , for us, it's not a great deal.

The resort fee is up to $28 per room plus tax.

When I looked on hotels.com last they seem to be including the tax in their number. Which is nice. (Showed as something like 32.50, and they were very upfront about the resort fee being charged at the hotel)

Add resort fees and parking fees to that price, and realize that you won't get Magic Bands, room charging, or Magic Express.

I love the Swolphin! You can easily link a MB, even an old one. I just used Uber back and forth in late Sept. from the airport after previously using a towncar service, I HATE MDE, so its not a loss for me.

The hotel is just GORGEOUS now. I was blown away and the new bartenders at the new bar are bringing the heat. 24 hour room service, and they'll even bring you drinks, is fast and on point. Have a great stay.

If you have status you may be able to have the resort fee waived or reduced...folks seems to be getting results, but its worth asking about!

Have a great trip!

I love the Swolphin! You can easily link a MB, even an old one. I just used Uber back and forth in late Sept. from the airport after previously using a towncar service, I HATE MDE, so its not a loss for me.

The hotel is just GORGEOUS now. I was blown away and the new bartenders at the new bar are bringing the heat. 24 hour room service, and they'll even bring you drinks, is fast and on point. Have a great stay.

If you have status you may be able to have the resort fee waived or reduced...folks seems to be getting results, but its worth asking about!

Have a great trip!

What kind of status? SPG status? We have rooms booked for November 2018 and we're wondering about getting the resort fees waived. Thanks!

We stayed with SPG discount and could not get the resort fees or parking fees reduced or eliminated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!