"Don't anger the dolls"-A France and DLP Trip, June '18-COMPLETED (4/22-ride comparisons)

Fabulous TR! I feel like I learned so much about both DLP and Paris! I will be at the Sequoia Lodge in 22 days and I can’t wait! Your park rankings were very interesting! I’m excited that you put Disneyland Park Paris so high in the rankings!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing your great TR! It has helped me a lot with planning for our September trip to DLP! I'm looking forward to reading about all of your upcoming trips - so exciting!

Thank you for your detailed report! I still have high hopes of heading there this summer, though I can't imagine planning a trip in less than 2 months... (Thanks, hubby's work!)

I find your ranking so interesting- but that's because I've never gotten to DL! Someday!

Sounds like you had a great trip. DLP has changed so much since I went back in 2001 so I would love to go back.

I also collect ornaments from everywhere I have been. I have so many now I can decorate two trees. Luckily the second one isn’t very full so I have time to still add to my collection. My husband said if we need to get a third tree it has to be fake as he is not lugging home three real trees lol

I have been to the Opera house in Paris and it is amazing. We went to it randomly as it was raining and it was way better than we expected. I guess you can only tour it certain months of the year so definitely look into that prior to going. Looking forward to hearing about your Asian trip!
When I lived in my previous apartment I originally bought a 4-ft tree (I prefer fake trees, less upkeep and less of a fire hazard). That only lasted 1 year before I upgraded to a 6-ft. The next year, I had both up (and I was the only one who lived there)! I would put up more around our house now, but we don't have the room!

You definitely need to make a return visit!

Thanks! Now that it has ended! :rotfl:But don't worry i will be joining some of your other reports!

Interesting, we do love Buzz at DL and WDW...... i feel like its bad to not hit Disneyland park the day we get there, but at the same time there isnt as much for us to do in the studios..

I have VERY low expectations for food in the DLP portion of our trip....

i am sure it will be fine, but will it be the best.... :)

Def want to do that! Master card seats would be so worth it, hope we can snag some!

Loved them, i wont be able to do to much exploring of all the details this trip, so loved looking at them, no spoils here!

We also do this, we have so many Ornaments.....

LOVE

Interesting points! makes me really excited!

Wow this list is so interesting! I am sure everyone has there own opinions and views... we never spend enough time at AK, need to spend more time there, i say this EVERY trip!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
Oh I adore AK! It's actually the park where I tend to have the most pre-planned itinerary! Hit up the rides, animal trails, shows, etc! And I love AKL so much I bought into DVC there!

Fantastic wrap up, Lesley! I really enjoyed reading about your ranking of all the parks you've visited and why. You made some very valid points, and I think I agree with you on Animal Kingdom and DLP being tied. Both are themed so well; it says a lot when you can wander around the park and not feel like you missed anything if you don't go on an attraction.

You came away with some great souvenirs. Landon eyeballed that Hook pin. :rotfl: I'm happy to see you were able to get some ornaments from DLP after passing on that one for fear of it breaking.

Both your descriptions of Heathrow has made me really nervous about using that airport. We flew in and out of Gatwick last year and had such a positive experience that I want to try and avoid Heathrow if possible. :laughing: (Probably going to be an impossible task, since most of the Orlando flights either leave or arrive at Heathrow...)

I already can't wait to hear about your experiences at the Asia parks. It's been a blast following your detailed descriptions from DL and WDW and DLP, that I feel like I'll get as close as I can to Shanghai and Tokyo through your reports.
Yeah, exactly about the wandering! That's one of the reasons I'm totally looking forward to Tokyo DisneySea!

I do love the ornaments I eventually ended up getting!

Yeah, I've heard bad things in general about Heathrow. Terminal 5 was not fun! Though I don't think we really had bad experiences when we flew through there in 2016, but that was a different terminal. Fingers crossed you can use Gatwick more often!

Great trip report, Lesley! I'll definitely be referencing it if I ever get to DLP…maybe in 2 years.

See you in a couple of weeks!
I hope you get to see it! And look forward to seeing you too!

Fabulous TR! I feel like I learned so much about both DLP and Paris! I will be at the Sequoia Lodge in 22 days and I can’t wait! Your park rankings were very interesting! I’m excited that you put Disneyland Park Paris so high in the rankings!
I think it was just so detailed and immersive that I loved it! All the little details really make a park IMHO!

Thanks so much for sharing your great TR! It has helped me a lot with planning for our September trip to DLP! I'm looking forward to reading about all of your upcoming trips - so exciting!
I hope you guys have a great trip!

Thank you for your detailed report! I still have high hopes of heading there this summer, though I can't imagine planning a trip in less than 2 months... (Thanks, hubby's work!)

I find your ranking so interesting- but that's because I've never gotten to DL! Someday!
At least DLP isn't like WDW with so much pre-planning. Though sometimes the special deals are only available to book earlier in advance.

You definitely need to make your way out to DL! Maybe skip the next several months though, with the SWGE chaos!

Love seeing all the merch you bought!

Overall sounds like a great trip. Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks for reading!

Ride Comparisons

I know I said I was done, but I realized I should post about ride comparisons between DLP/DLR/WDW. Hopefully I'll be able to add to this after visiting the Asian parks! (And this will only include the ones I've actually been on.)

Main Street:

• Disneyland Railroad: Disneyland > Disneyland Paris > WDW. Disneyland is a classic and has the dioramas. DLP does have some nice woodsy stuff, as well as the "private" compartments, and going along the backside of the Rivers of the Far West. WDW is fine, but nothing super special.

Fantasyland:

• Peter Pan's Flight: WDW = DLP = DLR. The DLP and DLR versions are basically identical, though DLP has FP, which is a plus for me (I don't go on the DLR version that often because of the long lines). WDW has the best queue, though it doesn't have my favorite part which is flying among the stars above Neverland (the WDW version has a much bigger display of Neverland). DLP also has the nice touch of 2 rows, which lets more people ride together!
  • Pinocchio: DLP = DLR. Identical rides.
  • Snow White's Scary Adventure: DLP = DLR. Again, identical.
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats: DLP > DLR. I prefer skipping the narration and the boat row layout at DLP. At DLR you sit with your back toward some of the miniatures so you have to twist around to see them.
  • Casey Jr Railroad: DLP > DLR. I liked how DLP was a little faster! Though it's pretty close between the two, as DLR has the cages you can ride in.
  • it's a small world: DLR > DLP > WDW. DLR has the best outdoor facade and the cute characters. DLP is nice and a little different. WDW isn't as epic of an entrance.
  • Dumbo: DLP > WDW = DLR. It's the same ride, but DLP has the cutest Fantasyland, so the best views from Dumbo!
  • Carousel: DLP = DLR = WDW. It's a carousel. Though DLR still confuses me, as it's name is King Arthur Carousel, but the paintings inside are Sleeping Beauty...

Tomorrowland:

• Astro Orbitor: DLP > DLR > WDW. DLP and DLR are the same basic ride system, but DLP has better views. I don't like WDW because it keeps going fast until the very end, so I feel like I'm going to fly out - the others slow down as they are nearing the end.
  • Space Mountain: DLP > DLR > WDW. Hyperspace Mountain was pretty awesome (and a bit intense). The screens worked really well with the ride and I loved the shooting up the hill. DLR is smoother than WDW and feels more secure with the seats side-by-side. WDW is just too rough and I honestly don't really ride it at all!
  • Autopia: DLR > DLP > WDW. DLR has the cute little props and scenes along the road. DLP has the fun neon. I haven't even bothered to go on WDW's version.
  • Buzz Lightyear: DLR > DLP > WDW. DLR and DLP are the same ride system with the guns you can pull out to shoot (not fixed in place like WDW). But the queue at DLR is better managed.
  • Star Tours: WDW = DLR = DLP. All the same ride. WDW has the better outdoor queue. DLP is interesting because it's in French. DLR has a special place in my heart since I rode it with Mark Hammil a couple years ago (he surprised us and it was filmed for a Disney video).

Frontierland
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: DLP >> DLR > WDW. DLP is the best version I've been on! Totally awesome! DLR's version has the nice end-scene.
  • Steamboat: DLR = DLP (haven't done it at WDW yet). Both have their positives and different areas to see. DLP has the geyser which is cool, but WDW has the whole bridge/beaver scene, which is fun.

Adventureland
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: DLP >> DLR > WDW. Again, DLP is truly awesome! And totally switches up the storyline. DLR is better than WDW with the 2 drops and our redhead is better.

Studios/DCA
  • Rock n Roller Coaster: DHS > WDS. I personally am not a fan of either (it's too intense for me), but DHS is much better. I'm curious if they will switch up the ride at WDS when it becomes Iron Man themed.
  • Tower of Terror/GotG Mission Breakout: DCA GotG > WDW ToT > WDS ToT = DCA ToT. Guardians is my favorite version and I love the different sequences. WDW is second behind that. WDS and DCA's original version are pretty much identical.

Very interesting ride comparisons. I'm so happy to know Disneyland's railroad reigns supreme because that thing has such a special place in my heart. Also, yeah WDW does not deserve to sit with the other Autopias. It's the Tomorrowland Speedway and it will be forever tragic and should've gone when Tron was announced.

I find it funny where you put DLR with the comparisons of the Canal Boats and Astro Orbiter. I never even rode Astro Orbiter at Disneyland because it's on the ground. I love how high up and great the views are at WDW. Also, Canal Boats without a person on your boat spieling? That's like GMR with the TCM takeover, I feel like I'd rather the DLR version always.

Side note on the Liberty Belle at MK... DLR's Mark Twain is better. Granted they let you always explore the top floor on that boat (unlike DLR), but DLR's just has more going on with it imo And I don't think it has a narration like DLR's.

I'm jealous you can say Mission: Breakout is better than WDW's ToT because I'm so conflicted. They are so different and so great in their own ways. I can't decide GAHHHHH

Very interesting ride comparisons. I'm so happy to know Disneyland's railroad reigns supreme because that thing has such a special place in my heart. Also, yeah WDW does not deserve to sit with the other Autopias. It's the Tomorrowland Speedway and it will be forever tragic and should've gone when Tron was announced.

I find it funny where you put DLR with the comparisons of the Canal Boats and Astro Orbiter. I never even rode Astro Orbiter at Disneyland because it's on the ground. I love how high up and great the views are at WDW. Also, Canal Boats without a person on your boat spieling? That's like GMR with the TCM takeover, I feel like I'd rather the DLR version always.

Side note on the Liberty Belle at MK... DLR's Mark Twain is better. Granted they let you always explore the top floor on that boat (unlike DLR), but DLR's just has more going on with it imo And I don't think it has a narration like DLR's.

I'm jealous you can say Mission: Breakout is better than WDW's ToT because I'm so conflicted. They are so different and so great in their own ways. I can't decide GAHHHHH
For Storybook - I've had far too many situations with a bad speaker and it basically sounds like squacking the whole time! I did have a great CM a week ago. A momma duck and her babies were resting on the Peter Pan island. The CM pointed them out and said, Oh there's a gigantic duck and a bunch of regular sized ducks! It was pretty hilarious!

Rah, rah. Go Sports!

rGSILzS.jpg
I find myself having a serious quote problem every time I read an update on this TR!! I can't believe THIS is the only thing I quoted LOL!!!

This TR was seriously SO enjoyable to read! I loved all of the details and pictures of things you thought to include. It was really incredible to follow along with you on this most amazing trip!

SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!!!!! :) :) :)

Awesome ride comparisons! I’m so so excited to experience DLP’s versions of them, especially BTMR! I also can’t wait to ride Phantom Manor (you’ll have to go back for that one!) I hated the seating on DLR’s Storybookland Canal Boats, so I know I’ll like DLP’s better! Have you started a PTR for your Asia trip?

Awesome ride comparisons! I’m so so excited to experience DLP’s versions of them, especially BTMR! I also can’t wait to ride Phantom Manor (you’ll have to go back for that one!) I hated the seating on DLR’s Storybookland Canal Boats, so I know I’ll like DLP’s better! Have you started a PTR for your Asia trip?
Yeah, I decided to just do a massive PTR for all my upcoming trips! I have a bunch - https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...ip-reports-update-4-17-misc-bookings.3739990/

Great wrap up! I feel like its so hard when you come home from trips like this one because you think "when can I do this again" and its usually not for a while! (i'm looking at you Hawaii lol)

I totally agree about people crowding the luggage carousels. And then the people who give you a dirty look when you have to bust through to get your bag. Like sir, you don't even have a bag in sight! Give me some space here!

Love your park rankings and ride comparisons! Definitely an interesting perspective! I can't wait to ride DLR's versions in November! I feel like WDW rests of the fact that they know people will come and therefore end up with the least best versions so I'm excited to ride some of the better ones!

I find myself having a serious quote problem every time I read an update on this TR!! I can't believe THIS is the only thing I quoted LOL!!!

This TR was seriously SO enjoyable to read! I loved all of the details and pictures of things you thought to include. It was really incredible to follow along with you on this most amazing trip!

SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!!!!! :) :) :)
I'm glad you liked it! It was definitely a fun trip and really sparked my desire to visit more international Disney parks!

I leave in 3 days! Probably should start packing...

I realized several of the DLP rides that I love you said are identical to DL's version. This has made me really want to get out to California now.
You definitely need to get out here! It's too bad they got ride of A Bug's Land - I think Evie would have actually really liked those rides!

Great wrap up! I feel like its so hard when you come home from trips like this one because you think "when can I do this again" and its usually not for a while! (i'm looking at you Hawaii lol)

I totally agree about people crowding the luggage carousels. And then the people who give you a dirty look when you have to bust through to get your bag. Like sir, you don't even have a bag in sight! Give me some space here!

Love your park rankings and ride comparisons! Definitely an interesting perspective! I can't wait to ride DLR's versions in November! I feel like WDW rests of the fact that they know people will come and therefore end up with the least best versions so I'm excited to ride some of the better ones!
It will definitely be fun for you to see DLR's versions! Especially growing up with WDW! And let me know if you want to meet up at all - I'm always down with a Dismeet (though I'm in Asia until Nov 9)

Just chiming in to say I really enjoyed reading about your big European adventure! Your time in Paris was really interesting to me. It made me think I would be able to plan and do our next trip to Europe on our own. (we've done 2 organized tours). I know it would take lots of research. Loved hearing about DLP also! Maybe some day!

Adventureland
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: DLP >> DLR > WDW. Again, DLP is truly awesome! And totally switches up the storyline. DLR is better than WDW with the 2 drops and our redhead is better.
First time I went to Disneyworld I was so confused by Pirates and the order of events, :P I came off the ride the first time and I thought 'this is so wrong' ;-)

Just returned from our trip that included DLP and Paris and dropping a short note to thank you on how helpful and informative your trip report was for us, especially for Paris. We were able to stay at Disneyland Hotel for 2 nights and the location obviously couldn't be beat. Our favorite rides with Big Thunder Mountain, Crush's Coaster, Hyperspace Mountain, and Ratatouille. Pirates was closed when we arrived by re-opened on the day we were leaving so enjoyed that too. For Paris, the Museum Pass and Navigo cards were great tips and definitely were cost and time savers. The Creperie wasn't open in Versailles but we found a similar restaurant. Thanks again for the interesting read.

Just returned from our trip that included DLP and Paris and dropping a short note to thank you on how helpful and informative your trip report was for us, especially for Paris. We were able to stay at Disneyland Hotel for 2 nights and the location obviously couldn't be beat. Our favorite rides with Big Thunder Mountain, Crush's Coaster, Hyperspace Mountain, and Ratatouille. Pirates was closed when we arrived by re-opened on the day we were leaving so enjoyed that too. For Paris, the Museum Pass and Navigo cards were great tips and definitely were cost and time savers. The Creperie wasn't open in Versailles but we found a similar restaurant. Thanks again for the interesting read.
That’s awesome! I’m glad it helped and you had a good time!

So I have our timeshare for a week booked at the Marriott's Village d'ile-de-France - As far as I can tell it is close to DLP-so seems silly to pay for room onsite for a day or two. Planned to use the condo as a base to travel and explore countryside -then the next week move to downtown Paris to explore city more.
Is the Marriott close enough to DLP to use as base to visit a couple days?
I may be PM'ing you to pick your brain LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!