Don't let your kids use your digital camera

anti4

Earning My Ears
I was lucky enough to go to Disney World a few years ago ( my mother-in-law took us) and the pictures I took were terrible. So I vowed if I ever was able to go back I would get a decent camera to get some good pictures. I totally did something out of character and charged a trip without DH (who could care less about going). My first vacation in 18 years. I went in Dec. and brought a digital camera with me. My 9 year old erased my pictures so I put it on protect so it wouldn't happen again. We ran around getting the pictures I'd lost and more. The last day my 16 year old son erased all my pictures ( he put them in format which means they are totally unretrievable). I didn't even yell at him I was just was totally humilated trying not to let anyone see me cry in public on my way out of the park. I told him some day we would probably laugh about it but I couldn't then. The moral of the story is don't let your kids use your digital camera unless they really understand how to use it.

That's so upsetting! My 9 yr old uses the camera with no problem, though. Maybe she's just not as curious about all the other settings, but it would be very difficult for her to do it with my camera (too many steps required). Solution: Buy them a cheap digital. My DD uses my old cheap digital which has a "erase" button on the top, but she hasn't erased any yet. It's great for her.

My camera takes excellent pictures on the standard settings. And even though I do know what all the different functions do, I very rarely need to access any special functions. Does your camera have some settings that have to be made before use each time? I have an Olympus which only requires that you do 2 things to take a picture. 1. take off the lens cap. 2. turn the knob clockwise to turn it on. Then just aim and press the shutter button. You should be able to allow your children (especially a 16 yo) to take the pictures - just warn them not to use any of the menu functions without checking with you first.

Digital cameras are just wonderful! The best photos ever. I bought my husband a Epson 850z for his birthday 2 years ago. Excellent camera! (they no longer make that model) Well, by accident he left it out on our desk and while our daughter (3 yr old at the time) was playing her computer programs, she opened the lens cover with her fingers and jammed it open. We had to drive 40 minutes to a certified Epson rep and pay $180 to have it sent to the company to be fixed. Moral of this story....it you don't want it broke don't let get into the hands of a child (no matter their age). Of course we weren't upset with her, it was my husband's fault for leaving it out!

I let the kids use the cameras all the time. It is a way to see throught their eyes.

anti4 - that stinks about your pictures. I'd be seriously bummed.

Every time I let my DS (7) use the camera, I end up with a bunch of pictures of birds. He doesn't take pictures of anything else. :rolleyes:

Some children can be trusted with a camera, and some can't. It depends upon the child.

It really isn't a question of trust. The camera I have, I'd won in a contest and it is a little too complicated to use. I wasn't allocating blame. Life happens. I posted this more as tip so it wouldn't happen to someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter