• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't want to use points for Saturday night! Where do you stay?

jennz

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, I posted this on the resorts boards w/out much luck...we're checking out on Saturday but not leaving until early Sunday and don't want to spend extra points for Saturday...any suggestions on where to stay for one night? All-stars was $84, didn't know if there were better suggestions. Now I'm thinking maybe AKL savannah view...anyone use hotwire or anything? I thought I read that somewhere.

Thanks!!

One of the things that we do when we are in that situation is use frequent stay points (We have a ton of Hilton points) at one of the Downtown Disney hotels. We also have stayed at the Embassy Suites by the airport on our last night when we had a 6 a.m. flight.

We usually go to Universal on the weekends and stay on-site there because of the perks. We also like to stay at AKL.

Amanda

Try the Swan or Dolphin. They have good government, teacher, nurses, entertainment rates. Maybe you'd qualify for one of those.

We usually stay at Pop as we don't arrive until late Saturday evening and Pop is very close for us to drive over to BW for dinner. I've thought about staying offsite but want to start experiencing that Disney magic ASAP.

Donna

We stay at our DVC resort and pay cash for the weekend night. Catch the 25% discount if available.

If I'm not willing to use the points, I'm not willing to stay at a deluxe either. I would go for a mod or value resort or offsite.

We were in the same predicament for our upcoming October trip. We are just paying cash for the 1st night in our 1 bedroom at SS. We did get the 25% off so it will be well worth it. Last year I moved my family from Pop (first 3 days) then to Animal Kingdom for the last 4 and we lost a lot of vacation time. Its well worth it too us to pay cash for that extra day. Afterall, we paid nearly $100 bucks last year for PC and it was not worth it all in any of our opinions (seemed like a spiffed up Motel 6 to us). Ick..ick...ick

I hope you have a great trip!
Esmerelda

I guess I've been thinking in "points" for too long and didn't realize cash was an option. :p Do I just extend our stay for one night or do I make a sep. reservation, does anyone know? Do I understand correctly that as DVC members we get 25% off the rack rate? Thanks everyone!!

Call MS and they can add the cash night to your existing resse. The 25% off is not guaranteed, only if there is availablity. We are paying cash for one night in October and there aren't any discounts available at that time (Columbus day weekend.)
I have called a couple of times and MS continues to check for me, but no luck. Heck- I am just happy to be at BCV during the F&W fest. I am guessing the resort is sold out. I have read on other threads that people are still waiting on waitlists trying to get in.

We stay at the DVC resort and pay for the weekends with the 25% DVC discount. Don't want to have to move just for the weekend.

This summer we stayed a night at one of the All Star's and were very disappointed. I don't think I can give it a fair review because we were there very little and checked out at 7:00 in the morning to be ready to head for the park but it was very dirty.

We also had a weekend on cash with the member discount. We just reserved the nights through MS and had them link the resservation. There was no problem whatsoever, no second (or third) check in or room change. It was perfect!

Lori

We had the same problem last December. In order to get halfway decent airfare from Houston, we needed a Saturday night stay. We were able to stay at Pop Century for about $69 (premium annual passholder discount).

It wasn't bad, but my husband went to get us breakfast (just yogurt, donuts, something) and made the remark that it was us and a 1000 of our friends trying to eat. He brought the food back to the room.

We were going to have WDW transfer our luggage to OKW but they could only tell us it would be availble after 3pm ( I think that was the time). We would have been okay with that but we wanted to check into the room at OKW in the morning and then go to the parks. Given that it was extremely cold, we needed to get into our luggage during the day. So to make a long story short, we just paid about $15 for a cab to transfer us and it was done and over with.

We use it as an oppurtunity to try new resorts. Our favorite is AKL. There is so much for the kids and they love it there. We've also used the nurses discount for Swan. Disney will move your bags for you so it makes it easy to switch hotels.

I've added a Friday and/or Saturday night at OKW in May with the 25% discount. It only comes out to about $7 a point, cheaper than renting (this year it was $331 w/tax for a 1 bedroom, would have been 48 points).

I just do not care to move around that much, so we usually plan on a whole stay in one place. I would think if you HAD to move, doing the weekend at a value or off site BEFORE or AFTER your DVC portion of a trip would make more sense than staying in the middle somewhere else.

We do not want to have to move either. For the last 4 years, we have just bit the bullet and used our points. We stay Saturday to Saturday, so we have two weekend days that we are using points for.

Well, we simply don't stay weekend nights! That way, we get 2 5-night trips instead of 1 7-night trip! :teeth: Or somewhere close, anyway...

Actually, I must confess. We *did* stay this last Friday night, at the last minute. DH had the day off from work so we picked up the kids from preschool at noon and headed up to WDW. Called MS on the way to see if any rooms were available since we wanted to say for fireworks. Luckily they had a studio at BWV available, so we took it! :) That was our first DVC stay. It cost me $17,500 (had to pay off my balance before we could stay....we don't actually close until next week! :teeth: ). We bought points budgeting for a 1BR for all our trips....so we figured the studio on a Friday night was like getting a 1BR on a weeknight.

I'm of the "don't like to move" mindset, so our plans are for multiple Sun-Fri trips rather than staying on the weekends....

We always use Priceline to get a resort level in the Lake Buena Vista area. We stayed at the Hilton for one night the Friday before Labor Day for only $60.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter