Don't We Need More Ice Cream? - A F&G Trip Report - With our Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Mugs! 4/15

Discussion in 'DVC Trip Reports' started by franandaj, Mar 22, 2019.

1. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

:welcome:

Thank you!

Yes, she is doing better. She is doing a lot more around the house and it's a different sort of adjustment. She's trying to put stuff away and destroying my sense of order! :laughing:

I'm glad that they got into it later in life. I had no interest in looking at birds. As it was we spent way too much time stopping in the parks to look at various random birds.

Other than arriving late and not getting breakfast or getting to potty on the plane, the rest of the travel day wasn't so bad. We didn't have problems with our connections or anything but it did end up being a VERY long day. My parents were joining us a little later and I will explain the entire thing in the next TR update since others probably don't remember when I talked about this in the last TR when it went down.

Thanks. My mom did seem to enjoy the F&G aspect of WDW.

Good to hear things are going better for you. I had missed you on the DIS. Glad you have a better job. I know the last one was taxing.

Perfect costumes for us!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

We got taxes to do. Maybe Sunday!

You spurred me to go get the Hot Tamales and they weren't hot at all just like I remembered as kid!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

<phew> Otherwise it'd be the last visit.

I'm not a bit surprised.

:laughing:

Heh. Our DDs named all our cars. We had Bluie and... Whitie... and then Blackie.
    They're mortified now. I think that's hilarious.

Nice! :)

Perfect!

But you caught the flight (and lived!)

OH!!! So... a rental would've been better! :lmao:

Was that other friend an expert in the field?

::yes::

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DnA2010

DnA2010 Rope Drop!

Ohhh yesssss a new report!! pixiedust::worship::thanks:

Cat love started early I see!

As did your love to play music!

We did the same pair for the Halloween party we went to in 2015 I think it was!

Oh JLP :love::love:

So happy she is continuing to feel better :D

Crap!! The scooter strikes again!

We've scored it when we've travelled when toddler was a baby- sooo nice!

Very entertaining indeed! So glad you survived the bad planes!

Mallo Cup- a marshmellow cup?? :lovestruc

Looking forward to following your trip with the parents again, enjoyed Alaska :)

5. franandaj

Well no, cause Fran and I would still go.

How old were they then?

Yes, we did.

Well no, rentals still suck. We didn't know that her scooter had internal engine problems until it was way too late! :rotfl2:

Not even in the slightest.

Yup and grew exponentially!

But I was in college by the time that photo was taken.

Great minds....

:love::love:

It has been an interesting adjustment.

Well this time it wasn't nearly so bad.

We registered for it a few years back. One of the best things we ever did!

Me too!

You know, I don't know cause she ate almost all the candy. Even the ones I picked out for me. Luckily she can't eat the Hot Tamales, so I get those all to myself.

Next installment should be coming up shortly!

6. pkondz

Well, there's that.

Hmmm... probably between 2-8?

:laughing:

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Actually at work today, we were talking about that.
    "If WestJet (Canadian carrier) offered you a trip to anywhere they fly, but it's on a B737 Max... would you take it?"
    Without hesitation, we were all "Yes!"

7. franandaj

When I left off we were traveling on the DME bus to our “resort for the next two nights”, Old Key West. But I'm gonna back up a little bit here. I probably mentioned this on my last TR back in September when I booked the airfare, but I'll just repeat it here again because I'm sure most of you don't keep track of my travel plans. Originally the trip was only supposed to be a week long from March 14-21. But when SW revealed their airfare for our time period our flights were gonna be $800pp. Since we buy three seats that would have been $2400 total which was a little too rich for us. This is where the fuzzy Disney math comes in. Last year we started paying our DVC monthly instead of one lump sum in January, so I now refer to it as “my subscription to Disney”. And because we have quite a few points I feel that my subscription allows me to stay at Disney anytime there is availability.

So with airfare costing that much, I started to look at alternate days. Staying longer didnt help the cost of airfare, but flying in two days early made a substantial difference. $200 per ticket or a total of $600! Since my lodging at Disney is paid for by my subscription I checked to see where there was availability, nothing at the Beach Club, but lo and behold the resort with my favorite tub had two nights in a one bedroom HA unit! Score! So that's how we ended up coming in two days earlier than my parents. They booked the day flights were released, but since I was getting off a cruise ship and flying home, we ended up waiting a few days and if there were any low fares for our original dates they were all gone.

While we're speaking of flights, you'll hear about the saga of our next trips flights during this TR, but I'll save you the suspense. We didnt have to do any fuzzy Disney math and got the dates we wanted. This time it was $1700 for three seats, which isn't great, but it was better than the cost of this trip!

I was a little worried because I hadn't received the text that our room was ready, and when we got to the front desk I learned why. There was a problem with our room. Of course there was!

Turns out we were assigned to a room on the second floor of a building where the elevator was under refurb. That makes it a little tough on our scooters!

After a brief wait they found a solution. We were upgraded to a two bedroom unit on the ground floor! If nothing else just having the two bathrooms worked out to be a bonus. Room situation solved we headed over to Olivia's for dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s kind of a cute restaurant but I think I would get really tired of listening to Jimmy Buffet songs if I was an employee here. By breakfast I already was sick of Margaritavilla and Cheeseburger in Paradise, and I actually like those songs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one overlooked our dinner.

[​IMG]

We were given a basket of the coconut bread rolls to start. I’m glad our server warned me before I tried to put one of these nasty rolls in my mouth!

[​IMG]

Fran got a bowl of their Chicken Pot Pie soup. Unfortunately it came with the nasty coconut bread on top.

[​IMG]

We ended up with the shrimp pasta, it was filled with veggies and lots of shrimp. There was zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and spinach in a creamy pesto sauce.

[​IMG]

We got the Banana Bread pudding with Bananas Foster sauce and vanilla ice cream. It was good, but not quite O'hana good.

[​IMG]

We closed the place down, bought a beverage in the Goods to Go store and went back to the room.

Our luggage hadn't arrived from DME, but I thought that at least I could get our Owner's Locker. I had some bath salts in there and at least I could take a bath. It was about 10:45 when I called Bell Services, they said the luggage was in transit but they had the owner's locker. I took some pictures of the room. Here is the entry hall.

[​IMG]

Common living space

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the second bedroom.

[​IMG]

And bathroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hallway to the Master bedroom.

[​IMG]

Oh wait the laundry room is right off the hallway.

[​IMG]

Master bedroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the entire reason that I love staying at this resort (besides the huge living area). The Jacuzzi tub!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the bathroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And our patio, which never actually was put to use.

[​IMG]

And while we’re at it, here’s what’s left of my key to the scooter.

[​IMG]

An hour later I called to see where the OL was, the luggage had arrived, but there was only one guy working and he was backed up. What kind of Cracker jack operation are they running here?

It was 1AM before we finally got our luggage, they brought everything all at once. I couldn't go to bed without the OL, because my special pillow was inside, plus I really wanted to take a bath! I mean who wouldn't want to use that tub!

It was after 2AM before we got to sleep, but at least it was only 11ish to our bodies, and we often stay up that late at home.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings!

8. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

I’m with you on Nasty Coconut Bread! I’ll take coconut flavoring in a pina colada but that’s about it.

Looks like a Decent easy meal at Olivia’s.

Nice upgrade! That was a nice solution for your problem.

I wonder if someone called out to leave that poor luggage guy all alone! They should be able to tell the amount of flights/Magical express/arrivals they have coming and plan better!

9. DnA2010

DnA2010 Rope Drop!

I remember this! Score!

Score again! How handy!

Yuck..not up my alley at all

Mmmm I love pesto

Looking good Fran!

Loads of space hey!

I think I hear angels singing! :lovestruc:love:

A Jacuzzi soak would be perfect after travelling all day, I'd be staying up for that too!

10. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

L-O-V-E Old Key West!!! But what a hassle with the room. Thank god you got what you needed in the end.

Since we don't use DME we never had problems with waiting for luggage, but that looks like a pain. At least you had not gotten used to the time change yet.

And we quite like Olivia's - breakfast especially. How funny, I never noticed the music in there. :rotfl: Might be that I am used to "locking it out". I used to work in a famous Austrian hotel and there was a musical written about it. They had the music on 24/7 and after a while we never even "heard" it. :rotfl2:

11. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

Whew - I can't imagine being two people in a 2-bedroom unit. That must've been pretty nice! We've never even been in a 2-BD. I would've called some friends over if I had had that upgrade. Bummer though that it took so long to get your luggage.

I've heard good things about Olivia's, but a constant loop of Jimmy Buffet would get old fast. I always think that employees must learn to just tune those things out. Think of those poor employees that work at the Sci-Fi that must have that 45 minute movie loop burned into their brain. :eek:

12. iivye

iivye DIS Veteran

Following along. I'm looking forward to hearing your mom's opinion on the Flower & Garden displays. Woohoo on the upgrade to the two bedroom!

13. cruisehopeful

cruisehopeful Wishing I was taking a nap on a ship.

Your mother's flowers are gorgeous. Sounds awesome to be able to take a trip like this with your parents. :)

14. franandaj

I can understand that. I wasn't necessarily afraid since more of those planes have flown safely then not. However the comments by that one guy made me second guess myself.

I wonder since so many people don't like it, why they serve it so many places.

It was very good. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, but it was nice for a quick bite before going back to the room.

I was pleased with it!

I dont think so. I told him that I knew it wasn't his fault, but it was ridiculous to have only one person on staff. He replied, "I know. One person for 750 rooms." So he had clearly thought about this before.

I'd love to stay here for a little longer than one or two nights.

It definitely was!

Another nay for the coconut!

This was really good, I enjoyed the creamy part.

:thumbsup2

I dont think we ever went in that room except to get to the bathroom. :laughing:

:laughing: :thumbsup2

Especially in that tub. There are like five different directions that you can lie in!

15. pkondz

Makes sense. :)
    Do you prefer paying it that way?

I remember that. :)

HA stands for... ? Something Accessible, I presume?

:sad2:

But going down would be easy! And quick!

Nice!!!

There's a lot on that menu that looks good! I'd love to try the Conch chowder. Never seen that anywhere.

I can see that. I'm not a fan, but... just how many hits does he have?

Wow. Until right now, when I read that... I didn't even know "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was a song. I gave it a quick listen and... nope. Never heard it.

gross

No kidding! That is immoral and should be illegal.

Ruined.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll hold out for the real deal.

Big room!

That's the size of most hotel rooms I stay in!

That looks wonderful! I'd be in there every night... probably in the morning too.

Why? Too cold? Too hot?

Yep. 'dat's broke a'rright.

16. pkondz

Next time call me or text me.

17. franandaj

It was nice having soooooo much space! Even if it was only for two days. I really want to stay there for longer and hang out in the room with friends!

Evidently it's the late flights that are the problem. Next time I'll plan accordingly, and pack some bath salts. We're also planning on having dinner at the airport next time. That way we are all ready for sleep when we get to the room. Plus we are the BCV, so hopefully more staff.

Next update..... :rolleyes1

It's also probably that I was a music major. I am VERY keyed in on music and it can annoy me when it's just noise and not actually music. Sometimes I wish that I could tune it out. Other times, I just end up with my own choices playing in my head over and over and over again.

And at OKW the rooms are substantially larger than any other resort. It was a little eerie with the empty bedroom next door. However for whatever reason Fran and I seem to be in sync with our late night biobreaks, so the second bathroom was a nice touch. We have five bathrooms at our house, so having only one in a regular room is sort of a let down. :laughing:

I did text Pam and her Mom, but she has to have a two night minimum to board her pups, and she also had to work on our checkout day, so it didn't work out.

I know. At least the times before it had come in by 11PM with a similar arrival time at the airport.

There were other tunes, but his were the only ones that I recognized and stood out. There definitely was repetition when we were there the next morning.

Yeah, I always pity the Valets at the VGC, the same music has been playing there for 20 years now. I probably wouldn't have noticed it so much I weren't a flute player in a previous life, but I can totally hum almost all the tunes that play on that constant loop.

I'm not sure I ever got my Mom's opinion on the F&G displays. :laughing: She doesn't comment much, however she did take pictures of all the topiaries so that says something.

dizneeat and skier_pete like this.
  18. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

I am here!! Page 2 but never too late! Glad to read about the trip I missed but it looks like you all had a grand time!

19. franandaj

It was a very nice time spent with the folks.

Yes and no. It's nice not paying everything in one lump sum at the beginning of the year when so many other bills also come due. However, paying monthly it has to be taken directly from your bank account.

In the past we would use a credit card to purchase Disney gift cards at a discount, thus getting miles, and a discount. Then we would use the Disney gift cards to pay the dues. A little convoluted but Fran loves to work the system.

Good. You get an A for the day!

Handicapped Accessible. I'm sure they have a more politically correct way to phrase it, but Fran calls herself a "crip" meaning short for cripple.

Oh sure! And possibly deadly!

I would have liked to try that too, but I didnt want to order two soups. As it was I knew we were going to have too much food.

I have no idea, but I know I heard a lot of his songs on the radio growing up.

Wow! I'm amazed that you have been able to get through so much of life without having heard of him. Perhaps it's not a Canadian thing. Most of his songs are about the beach, the sun or other such things that are probably not in abundance up there. I don't think there is one song about snow at all! :laughing:

I would vote for that!

Pretty much.

I don't see you making your way to Olivia's anytime soon either! :laughing:

OKW was the first DVC and as a result they went all out. The subsequent models are not as big.

Well of course, we weren't staying in that room, so you could have had it had you been able to get there in time!

I pretty much was!

Just not enough time. That room was not somewhere we did a lot of "living". I enjoyed the tub to my fullest capability, but we hardly even put anything in the fridge other than a couple waters and diet dews. I'd actually like to stay there sometime for an extended period when lots of friends are going to be around and have a party. We were going to do that last summer but Fran shut that down with John Williams.

The other half is still in the ignition.

I didn't think one could text Internationally and calling mid air is sort of frowned upon. Besides I wouldn't want to intrude....

20. pkondz

I totally get that. :)

Yuss!!!!

So it should be CA, then.

Oh, that's just trifling details. You can ignore those.

Not me!

I have heard Margaritaville... a lot... but that's it.

True. At least not for 34 days.

Ah

Somehow don't think Fran would appreciate that very much. ;)

Good!

That place would certainly be big enough!!

Can't take it out? Or don't want to?

I guess it depends on your plan. My plan gave me unlimited texts in Canada... and to the States. But not while I'm in the States. Then I buy an add-on for $20 for unlimited texting for a month.

21. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

I'm happy she's feel better! I'm sure that makes your Disney trips much much more enjoyable! But it's too bad about the key... I may have done that the first weekend I moved into my first apartment! And we couldn't even get the bit of key out, so they had to replace the whole locking mechanism!

Oh boy! Yeah, not fun!

Argh, so annoying!