Dopey 2020.....

Yep, that was me, I'm the DH, but anyway...here's the post.

Just thought of something and was curious how many pairs of running shoes my fellow Dopeys plan to use/have used in the past for the Challenge. I typically rotate 3-4 pairs of shoes during my training, do you plan to run each race in a different pair of shoes? ( I know to always try to have a backup pair for whatever a race day may throw at you. Such as inadvertently dumping a water bottle in your shoe when you're getting ready in the dark at 2:30am trying not to wake your family. Yep also me.)

Just thought of something and was curious how many pairs of running shoes my fellow Dopeys plan to use/have used in the past for the Challenge. I typically rotate 3-4 pairs of shoes during my training, do you plan to run each race in a different pair of shoes? ( I know to always try to have a backup pair for whatever a race day may throw at you. Such as inadvertently dumping a water bottle in your shoe when you're getting ready in the dark at 2:30am trying not to wake your family. Yep also me.)

I take 2 pairs of shoes to race in and use one pair for the 5k & half and the other pair for the 10k & marathon. I have a third pair of retired shoes that I walk around the parks in.

Likewise. I have two to three shoes in rotation during training. Right now, one is at about 150 miles. That will be my 5k and 1/2 pair. The other has 45 miles on it. I expect that number to roughly double. That will be my 10k and full pair.

In the event it rains, as has happened in the past, stuff newspaper in the shoes to dry them out over the two nights.

I take 2 pairs of shoes to race in and use one pair for the 5k & half and the other pair for the 10k & marathon. I have a third pair of retired shoes that I walk around the parks in.

This is what I do as well. For non-race activities, I'm usually in flip flops, slides, or a pair of casual sneakers not designed for running.

I plan to bring some of my shoes that are retired or near retirement to wear to walk to the race and leave there if we get heavy downpours (keeping my good running shoes in a plastic bag until the start). Otherwise, I will use my main two running shoes in rotation like the others.

I have been debating 2 or 3 pairs in my head for weeks now. The two pairs I plan to run in are identical and will each have about 50 miles on them. I will alternate 5K, 10K, half, full. I have a third pair of the same shoe with about 150 miles that I am thinking of bringing as an emergency but I think I have landed on just bringing the 2 pairs. The only thing really worrying me is rain on consecutive days and not being able to get them dry enough for subsequent races. I think with 48 hours of drying out, even if back to back rain days happen, they will be ok.

I have been debating 2 or 3 pairs in my head for weeks now. The two pairs I plan to run in are identical and will each have about 50 miles on them. I will alternate 5K, 10K, half, full. I have a third pair of the same shoe with about 150 miles that I am thinking of bringing as an emergency but I think I have landed on just bringing the 2 pairs. The only thing really worrying me is rain on consecutive days and not being able to get them dry enough for subsequent races. I think with 48 hours of drying out, even if back to back rain days happen, they will be ok.
after one rain I used the in-room hair dryer

after one rain I used the in-room hair dryer
Reality check - I did a 13 mile training run yesterday in a steady rain. My shoes were soaked. I just checked them and they are bone dry. Granted, I am in the northeast and it is very dry in my house. But I don’t think I’ll have an issue as long as I am leapfrogging the 2 pairs.

Reality check - I did a 13 mile training run yesterday in a steady rain. My shoes were soaked. I just checked them and they are bone dry. Granted, I am in the northeast and it is very dry in my house. But I don’t think I’ll have an issue as long as I am leapfrogging the 2 pairs.
well it depends...I know what you are saying but maybe it was the humidity or room was too cool, etc, because I had issues late at night before the next days race so I didn't want to take a chance...hence the dryer

Just thought of something and was curious how many pairs of running shoes my fellow Dopeys plan to use/have used in the past for the Challenge. I typically rotate 3-4 pairs of shoes during my training, do you plan to run each race in a different pair of shoes?
I'm planning a different pair for each race, mostly because I want them to coordinate with my outfits. Also, I'm close to WDW and driving, so I don't have to consider suitcase space limitations. If it weren't for the fact that the shoes I want to run the half in don't go with my 5K outfit, I'd only bring 3 and wear one for the 5K and half, one for the 10K, and one for the full.

I live in FL and regularly wind up with soaked shoes - I pack them with newspaper to speed the process and it takes about 2 days for mine to dry completely. They're indoors with AC or heat, but it's still humid compared to other locales.

Pretty much the same two pair as most, one pair for the 5 and half and one for the 10 and full. I will be doing my last dopey simulation this weekend in the same shoes I plan on wearing for race day and then finishing training in a third pair of the same. My park shoes are a different shoe of the same brand that I decided I don’t like for running but they are fantastic walking around.

Back when runDisney/New Balance had the special shoes, I would use the 5K as my break-in and, if all went well (which it usually did) I would use the new shoes for the half. I used my 'regular' shoes for the 10K and Full. But I used the NB 860 shoes anyway, so the runDisney shoes were not much of an adjustment for me.

The past couple of years, though, I just ended up bringing two pairs and alternating days.

I really miss the runDisney shoes!!! (My bank account balance doesn't, though!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!