double stroller vs. two strollers; 4 & 1 yr old kids

Epcot Mom

Mouseketeer
We have been to WDW many times with our almost 5 year old. We have always taken our Peg Perego and loved it. We now have baby and will be going when he is 11 months old. We'll be needing stroller seating for two and are wondering if we should go for a double stroller that would really only be used at WDW or just buy a better umbrella stroller for the 4 year old and use our beloved Peg Perego for the 11 month old. My husband has seen fathers lug heavy doubles on and off buses over the years and is apprehensive but the idea of two strollers, two kids and a gear bag makes me apprehensive. We're used to the quality of Peg Perego and are unsure if we would be happy with the Graco Duo Glider, which seems to be the hot stroller. Any thoughts on two vs. one and which one to buy?

mine were 1 and 4 on my most recent trip to disney, and I found the baby trend sit-and-stand to be very useful. unlike the standard double stroller, my older child didn't mind riding on the stroller's bench, and could access it herself easily. it is useful to have the ability to have one parent able to transport both kids, even for a short distance. good luck.

There are lighter weight options available in double strollers rather than the Graco DuoGlider. You might want to look into the Combi Twin Savvy, Peg Perego Aria Twin, Maclaren Twin Traveller or the Graco DuoLite. I have an almost 3 year old and a 19 month old and have used quite a few different double strollers. (I now also work in a store which sells them!) For our trip to Disney coming up next month, we are taking two singles - a Peg Perego Amico Sherpa and an Inglesina Max (both no longer available in the US). However, we will have four adults and just the two toddlers. If it was just my husband, me and the kids I would likely take a double (Combi Twin Savvy).

You might want to check out the "Strollers" board at parentsplace.com. hey have lots of great info and suggestions on all types of strollers. Also, FWIW, I read on that same board that some folks have been unhappy with the Sit-and-Stand models due to them being difficult to steer and of poorer quality.

Good luck!
Jo

Thanks for the thoughts. If I'm not mistaken, most of what is being suggested are side-by-side doubles, not tandems. We've heard the side-by-sides are tough to maneuver through doorways, lines, shops, etc. Have you found that not to be a problem at WDW?

Also, we need one side to recline in case one-year old will nap in stroller.

We strugged with the two strollers, or double dilemma last time we visited Disney in Oct. We opted for the side by side Grayco Duo Rider (we had a duo glider front/back but it was too bulky to maneauver, and too difficult to snap up quickly). I talked DH into getting the Duo Rider. We bought the floor model for a bit cheaper. He really didn't want to buy another stroller, and our kids were 3 and 4. Once he did, he was glad. Here's the link:

http://www.bcfdirect.com/IWCatProdu...nt_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=300907

Our experience in Disney is we didn't have any trouble fitting between anything, and getting into the entrance we'd go for the wheel chair accessble lines. It folds up quick, has lots of storage, lightweight, and reclines in the back so one can nap. Recommed it.

Only time we had a problem was fitting it onto the tram getting from Parking lots in parks. But, I think we would have had the same problem with the front and back Duo Glider too. For tram to MK, we took the boat.

Even if you opted for the front/back - personally, I loved having both kids safetly strapped in one strollers at the airport while DH took care of luggage etc. If we had two strollers we'd each have had a kid, and luggage etc. This freed up one parent to have kids together, and one to take care of luggage, stand in line etc,.

Just our opinion....

I've been in a similiar situation as yours and here's what I've done. I agree about the HUGE double strollers, they aren't ery comfortable to bring and for a 4 almost 5 year old, the child probably will e too big to get comfortable. There are two side by sides which aren't very big and actually aren't very heavy. The Maclaren double and the Combi Twin Savvy. The problem with almost any double is that they aren't made for a larger child. The Combi is the only double that is certified for children up to 45 lbs per side, but it's rather low to the ground and larger children have a hard time keeping their feet up. The Maclaren is probably the best double for a larger child in my opinion, but their seats are narrower than most, and if your child is very slim you'll be o.k. but if not another uncomfortable situation. Any of the tandem strolelrs will be a disaster in my opinion. the front seats are WAY too small for any child over 3, and the child in the back won't be able to see anything anyway. Even with the stadium style seating, the larger child will block the little one, and make for a bad situation, also they are just so darn big and heavy!!! I personally don't like the Sit and Stand stroller, I think it's too bulky and heavy to lug around WDW. I've found what I think is the perfect stroller for a little kid and a larger toddler. I use the Peg Perego Pliko. It is a VERY lightweight stroller, as well as easy to fold and carry. There also is a small place on the back for the older child to stand. It works out great, since my almost 5 year old watned to walk most of the time in WDW, and only started riding when she got tired. I also thought of lugging two strollers, but dismissed it, with the thought of trying to get on/off the busses. You'll have to carry the baby, and keep track of the 5 year old, who usually still need assistance off the bus. Just too much lugging in my opinion.

We will be going to WDW in May and we have a 5 yo dd and an (almost) 3 yo dd. I wasn't sure about the stroller situation either, but I ended up buying a Kolcraft double umbrella stroller from Target. It folds up pretty compact for a double, both seats recline individually and it has a canope. The total weight limit is 70 pounds. No basket, but I suppose I can pick one up.

Just my .02

:D

Originally posted by Epcot Mom
Thanks for the thoughts. If I'm not mistaken, most of what is being suggested are side-by-side doubles, not tandems. We've heard the side-by-sides are tough to maneuver through doorways, lines, shops, etc. Have you found that not to be a problem at WDW?

Also, we need one side to recline in case one-year old will nap in stroller.

Yes. Many find (me included) that tandem (front/back) strollers are cumbersome and difficult to push once the younger child (or both) are older than about 6 months. I had a Peg Perego Tender Twin which was wonderful for my newborn and 16 month old, but after 6 months, I found the side by side to be much better. Most side by sides are now designed to fit through a standard doorway. Look for models that are not much more than 29" wide to be sure. I have never had a problem getting my Combi through a standard doorway. I also do agree with the person above who said the Combi can be a bit snug for a larger child. All the models I mentioned to you above recline on both sides. HTH!

Jo

Thanks so much for all the stroller thoughts. Many people wonder why we go back to WDW so often...same vacation over and over again. But each trip presents something new. This trip, it's two kids and stroller seating for both. Next time, the one year old will start to have opinions and we'll have both their interests to consider. We love WDW!!!

We're anxious to head back out to BRU and shop for strollers with all these posts to consider!!

Thanks again!

Just FYI. A standard door that is considered wheelchair accessible is 36 inches, so if your stroller is narrower than that, you will fit thru all the doorways into shops. Most of the doorways are wider than that. Some of the shops have areas that are narrower - the minimum for that is usually more like 30 inches, but the main aisles are wider. It's just the non-main aisles that are narrower.

My DD & I have been trying to figure out what to do for our Nov. trip with my grandchildren, who'll be 3-1/2 and 16 mos. We're thinking of bringing 2 umbrella strollers --- they'll take up less room in the golf cart at FW, & in the buses---and be ideal for the times that I take my DGS or DGD alone.......When we're all together, we're going to use stroller connectors (I saw them at Babies R Us for $9.99 the other day - They look like easy on & off). Only drawback is no basket underneath, but Andrew likes to walk, so we could put the backpack in his side at those times......

If you have a pliko, I can understand how much you love it. I have one, too, as it's especially nice for the older/larger child who is still too young to walk everywhere. I'd recommend using a buggy board or a Seat2Go with it, but your 4 yo might be too young for that to work well on a WDW trip. (Might work, though. You could try it. If you have a RightStart nearby, they usually carry them. There are brackets that need to be attached to your stroller before it can be hooked on. The brackets require a phillips-head screwdriver to install, but it only takes about 10 minutes to put them on.)

InStep has just brought back their oversized reclining umbrella. The double version is available for less than $100. That just might be an answer for you for WDW.

I would take the ONE beloved stroller that you have already and a sling. The 11-month old could ride in the stroller while the 4-year-old walks. When the 4-year-old is tired and needs a break, take turns with DH carrying the baby in the sling.

The sling comes in very handy, too, when waiting in line for rides, as strollers aren't allowed in the lines. If your baby is like either of mine were, he won't be happy in the stroller 100% of the time anyway and will want to be carried. Can you imagine trying to carry the baby while dealing with a double stroller or two strollers? Plus, getting one single stroller on and off the bus will be much easier. You can even take the baby in the sling on the bus.

Just a different perspective.
Peggy

Not sure what you have budgeted. We took a 4.5 yr and 12 month in January. We were in the parks 4 full days. Brought the big stroller from home that reclined for the 1 year old. Since we were only in the parks 4 full days, we rented a single stroller for the 4.5yr old. (Assuming you have two adults on the trip). The cost is $8 per day for the single.
For us it worked great, we didn't have the problems with side by side. Also one could take the baby in one direction, and the other took the 4.5yr old to her rides. Especially useful when baby was napping and mommie could do some shopping/eating!
Good luck and have fun

Nothing sweeter than my pictures of my two little ones, exactly 3 yrs old (birthday trip) and 10 mo old sacked out in the Disney rental stroller. With the sling for the little one during bus transportation. But my kids are tough, I tell ya'. Other than nap time, the stroller was spurned. :p if only *I* could have so much energy!

Micki

I think it really depends on how long you stay at a park each day. On our last trip this November, we forgot the 2 umbrella strollers that we were planning to take for our twins. They were 4 almost 5 when we went. We no longer used the strollers at home so we had taken them out of the van! I was so upset when we got to the airport and realized that we had left them. The funny thing is that the boys asked me, "Why would we bring strollers? We don't use strollers anymore?"

Anyway the boys did great without the strollers! We would do a park early in the morning and then head back to the hotel when they got tired. Some nights we would head out again after an afternoon of swimming.

We did rent the double stroller one time and this was late in the week. They fell asleep on the bus ride to the MK and did not wake up "happy". We used it at the MK and then took the monorail to Epcot. There we picked up another stroller and used it to get back to our room (BCV).

You might consider brining the one stroller and renting on days that you need it. I don't know that I would want to buy a new stroller since the 4/5 year old won't be using it much. Being a mom of twins we have used the side by side strollers, front & back strollers, and 2 umbrellas. For us the 2 umbrellas always worked best even at disney! But that is just my opinion.

We just got back from WDW with our 4 1/2 y.o. ds and just-turned-3 dd. We used two umbrella strollers. Whether you bring your own or rent, having separate strollers is great for kids of different ages or interests. DS was tall enough to do the big rides, such as Splash Mtn & Big Thunder Mtn but dd wasn't. So we would split up. Usually my parents took dd for a stroll or to a play area close by. But it was nice having a stroller available for each child when the ride was over.

Originally posted by peg2001
I would take the ONE beloved stroller that you have already and a sling. The 11-month old could ride in the stroller while the 4-year-old walks. When the 4-year-old is tired and needs a break, take turns with DH carrying the baby in the sling.

The sling comes in very handy, too, when waiting in line for rides, as strollers aren't allowed in the lines. .... Plus, getting one single stroller on and off the bus will be much easier. You can even take the baby in the sling on the bus.
Unless you think your four-year-old will want to ride all the time, this may be your best bet.

We went when our #3 was just a little younger than your babe will be and #2 was turning six on our trip. We took our single stroller and was fine. The nicest thing was being able to fully recline it so the baby could take his nap.

After a parade or fireworks, there were so many people, I was afraid one of the older two might get separated. On these occasions, we would recline the seat, #2 would sit in front (with his long legs over the top :p ) and #3 would sit in the back. It gave me a better feeling knowing that I had two captive and DH had #1's hand plus the diaper bag, etc.

I loved my sling and used it often. What Peggy suggested works wonderfully, especially standing in line.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. After we went and tried all the strollers we could find, we discovered that our rather small nearly 5 year old hardly fits in anything! I guess stroller makers don't count on kids over 3 riding! They have never been to WDW! At any rate, we purchased a single Maclaren for her and we'll see how we do! She's used to riding in a stroller most of the time as we dart from place to place in the parks so we thought about those long walks at her pace instead of ours.....

Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter