Down's Syndrome Child and Clubs

Lizardbeth61

<font color=green>Are all these berries edible?</f
Didn't know whether to post here or on the disabilities board . . . Friend's of ours have a daughter with Downs Syndrome. She's three years old, but developmentally between 2 and 2-1/2. She's not pottey trained so she's not eligible for the clubs, but do they offer special pricing in Flounders? It seems unfair perhaps for them to have to pay for flounders when chronologically this child is ready for clubs. Do they have some sort of contingency for special needs kids? Anyone know?

Webmaster Michelle has a thread posted on the Club guidelines which touches on this subject. Here is a link to her thread:

click here

I have a son who is High Functioning Autistic with other multiple disabilities. They have accepted him into the club (he is potty trained finally and was before our first cruise) but they made it very clear that if he needed one on one staff they were not equipped nor would they even try to provide it. They are an activities program not a babysitting service. That said they were wonderful with him and he has successfully joined in for three years running with a another planned.

Depending on the level of care required, they may make any exception for the clubs and the toileting issue. I'm not sure. I know there was another child with Down's on the ship last year in the program but I don't know about whether or not that was an issue or the functioning level. The counselors will be straight up about what they can and can't provide but they will try to accomodate a disabled child. Just have realistic expecations about the staffing ratio.

As far as a reduction in Flounders, I doubt it but it would be worth a call to DCL. I would explain the situation and ask. If the parents haven't figured out by now, it is sadly much more expensive to raise a disabled child. Just look at the bill for our summer program! ouch!!!

If they do give permission for a reduction in the fee or the allowance of a non-toilet trained child due to medical disability, then I would get it in writing and not advertise the fact that they allowed this exception.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter