Draining Tom Sawyer Island?

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
May have missed it in a previous post, but at MK this AM and they appear to be building a temporary dam. Any ideas?

There was a press release linked somewhere in the news thread, it said divers will do most of the work but they will dam off parts and drain where needed.

This is opposed to DL, where they have drained the whole river at once for track maintenance in the past.

Last edited:

We were waiting in line at haunted mansion this past Tuesday and there were three divers in the water doing something and another 4 men on the dock. Everyone was looking wondering what they were doing, maybe had something to do with this.

The riverboat had been dry-docked for repairs and had been scheduled to be back in operation around now. However, they discovered that the track that the boat travels along needed some repairs. The most efficient way of carrying these out was to dam up the RoA in order to lower the water level in the spots that needed repairs. This makes the job much easier. Still not easy, but easier.

I know they have fish and wildlife in Rivers of America, does anyone know how they protected the fish? Were they transferred to the section not drained? And the other question was the drained water stored for replacement or was this just refilled from another source? Seems pretty amazing to me and was just wondering the process.

I know they have fish and wildlife in Rivers of America, does anyone know how they protected the fish? Were they transferred to the section not drained? And the other question was the drained water stored for replacement or was this just refilled from another source? Seems pretty amazing to me and was just wondering the process.
Usually any water drained is stored.

The water being pumped in appeared dirty, so I assumed it was being pumped from the other side of the dam. The pump was also right next to the dam. But I didn't confirm that.

I assume they did the opposite when they drained it, just pumped the water from inside the dam to the outside.

This is what it looked like Sept 15
9RPkZEo.jpg

5KFm32w.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter