~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

What a great plan and I'm happy to read that the pain is already receding some!

I’m ready to start pool running!

upload_2019-3-3_19-1-4.jpeg

My plan (created by Pete Pfitzinger) is 9 weeks long, but I have a mother/daughter cruise at the beginning of April so there will be a week break. I’ll use the exercise bike in the ship gym that week.

Since pool running is based on heart rate, I set up my workouts on my Garmin watch using the Cardio activity. Your heart rate while pool running is about 10% lower than land running. Water temperature and water pressure on the body play a role in your heart rate. I looked at my average heart rate during certain types of runs and adjusted my heart rate zones in my Garmin. Just another reason to love my Garmin!!!! It’s a 5 day plan with 4 days of intervals and 1 day in a steady HR zone. The 1 steady day will be the most mentally challenging which is exactly the purpose of that workout.

The last week of my plan (5/6/19 -5/12/19) has me doing a tiny bit of running on a soft surface. It’s no more than 10 minutes and I’ll do those on the treadmill.

After my pool running I’m following a plan to ease me back into running. My plan is to use Pete Pfitzinger’s 7 week program. Most likely it will be lots of treadmill running.

My ortho said that depending on the results of my X-rays on 4/5 I could reintroduce running. Even if I’m cleared I have no plans to do so. I’m happy with what I’ve come up with. I have my eye on a 10K “trail” race at the end of July. I use the term trail loosely as it’s frequently used as a Wine & Dine POT race. My goal is not time based. It’s more for a celebration of my recovery.

I put my personal trainer on hold and will be doing my own thing in the gym for now. I modified a plan I had previously used to accommodate my hip.

So that’s what’s going on for now. I plan on signing up for the Wine & Dine two course challenge next week. I thought about doing all three, but I can’t make up my mind.

I’m having a very difficult time getting my heart rate up. My average heart rate was 106bpm yesterday and 98bpm today. I know it’s my cadence so I’ve got to work on that. I watched all my YouTube videos over again and I think I’m extending my leg too much. The leg motion is supposed to be closer to riding a bike. The 30 minutes has gone by so quick, but I think it’s because of the intervals. Tomorrow is 30 minutes at a steady pace. I have no pain when pool running. Most of my pain comes from sitting in an upright position like at the dinner table or driving a car. Those positions put the most pressure on your hip joints so that makes sense.

I also had a complete Garmin mess up. I updated my watch and all my Cardio workouts got wiped out. When I tried to redo them the cardio activity was forcing me to pick a weightlifting activity. When I had initially set it up I was able to select a time goal and a heart rate goal. That option is now gone. All I have is that drop down box for weightlifting and to either keep my heart rate above or below a specified bpm. I ended up using the “Other” category which used GPS for some reason and gave me a funny looking map LOL! I turned it off today.

I am so impressed with your dedication to finding a good alternative to running. Glad to hear that pool running is pain free! And so weird to think that sitting causes pain, but it makes total sense. Happy pooling!

I'm so sorry about your Garmin mess up - I hate when technology doesn't do what I want it to do.

I'm so impressed by your pool running plan! I don't know that I'd be able to entertain myself for that long in a pool, so more power to you.

Let me know if you decide to run Smuttynose. I am tentatively planning to run that race, barring not fall events pop up.

It’s the little things that help you see that light at the end of the tunnel.

I haven’t been able to balance on my left side without pain or support myself when getting dressed. For 3 months I have had to sit or lean on something to put on and take off shorts, pants, etc. I just put our trash bins out and was wearing socks. I quickly took my socks off put on my flip flops. It took me a few minutes before I realized I did it without sitting or supporting my weight on something and I had no stabbing pain :dogdance:

Tomorrow is early Wine & Dine registration for AP & DVC. It opens at 10am, but I have an appt at 9am and another at 10:30. Hopefully the website plays nice and I can it done on my phone in the parking lot! I’ve decided to sign up for all three races. If I heal enough for all three, great, but if I don’t I’ll have the option to pick and choose what I do.

I’m signed up for all three wine and dine races!!!!!! Registration was so easy. I need to go back and put in a proof of time though. I skipped over that part to check out faster.
Me too! Except no on the 5K! It’s hard to get up that early for me three days in a row. And I’m not convinced that it’s worth it(lack of sleep) for such a short race.

And congrats on no pain!! I’m sure waiting and healing from this injury is frustrating.

Me too! Except no on the 5K! It’s hard to get up that early for me three days in a row. And I’m not convinced that it’s worth it(lack of sleep) for such a short race.

And congrats on no pain!! I’m sure waiting and healing from this injury is frustrating.

I am not a fan of Disney 5K races, but the lure of running through AK & a 50% refund (on a gift card) for Princess pulled me in. Watch them change it this year though.

I rented a portable scooter for 10 days over my kids spring break. At Hollywood Studios waiting for my baby girl to ride RNR. I can tell you I have much more sympathy for scooter drivers. It’s like I’m invisible and keep getting hit in the head with backpacks and elbows.

CE01356B-04F6-4742-9F2C-CB733BC27445.jpeg

I rented a portable scooter for 10 days over my kids spring break. At Hollywood Studios waiting for my baby girl to ride RNR. I can tell you I have much more sympathy for scooter drivers. It’s like I’m invisible and keep getting hit in the head with backpacks and elbows.

View attachment 388301
I hope you had a great time and came away unscathed despite the endless contact to the head!
Those scooters are a challenge to change course and I think people do not give them enough leeway. I see the swinging backpack as a challenge with my short kids, and when we went with our tandem double stroller people would sharply turn and trip over my kid. I think people get so lost in the Magic they forget spacial awareness.

View attachment 388301

I hope things got better for you! We ran into the same issue when my mom was in the wheelchair with her broken foot. People would see me pushing her and make eye contact then just walk right in front of us. Since her broken foot was basically leading the way, I couldn't just ram them which is what I really wanted to do. Hopefully you're enjoying yourself in spite of the rude people!

I have not pool run or gone to the gym in a week :sad2: I really need to get my act together! I have nothing but lame excuses as to why I’ve been so lazy....cold, rainy, spring break, house projects, a million doctor & dentist appts between me and the kids, naps are lovely, just ONE more chapter in my book...

Hip is feeling good. Small accomplishments made again. I can sit cross-cross-applesauce with no pain and cross my legs (not that I’m supposed to right now, but I can!).

I’m getting a bone density scan on Friday. My regular doctor thinks I’m way too young to have a hip fracture so she wants to check that I’m not in the beginning stages of osteoporosis. She is also having my iron and vitamin D checked again because the body will steal nutrients from the bones if your levels are low.

I see my ortho again in just over two weeks on 4/5. I’m not sure what to expect. That seems way too soon for me to get an all clear to run again. I go on an 8 night cruise on 4/6. I was planning on slowly starting to run at the end of May, but it’s so very far away. I’m itching to get out there!!!!

I have not pool run or gone to the gym in a week :sad2: I really need to get my act together! I have nothing but lame excuses as to why I’ve been so lazy....cold, rainy, spring break, house projects, a million doctor & dentist appts between me and the kids, naps are lovely, just ONE more chapter in my book...
Sometimes our mind and body just need a break, nothing wrong with taking some time off.

Praying for good results from the scan! And that you have a blast on your trip, you deserve the R&R!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!