Dresses at Disney

syddisney

Earning My Ears
Hey, I’m planning a trip with my cousin, we will be 18 and 17 at the time of travel. We were wondering if we are allowed to wear our short homecoming dresses in the park?
Edit: I know its hot in Florida, and that we walk a lot, we’ve both been several times to Disney and are well aware of how long the days can be. We just aren’t sure if this kind if formal wear would be allowed

Last edited:
Formal wear is allowed but not sure if you'd want to be in them for long. It's hot and humid and you walk....a lot.
I've seen people do it for dinner or for formal photos.
As long as it's not costume like, you should be fine. Adults are not allowed to dress in costume unless it's the Halloween party.

Dapper Day is not only a day / weekend event that just occurred, but a lot of people that follow that, also typically have little mini-Dapper Day kind of events in which they dress up with certain themes in order to celebrate certain days / events / characters. Certain fans also do the "dapper day" type of style (dress up, vintage clothing, disney bounding) every time they come to the park.

So, yes, it is definitely allowed. While most are kind, I do hear from time to time, some people make rude comments, or stare, but don't worry about it, have a great time!

I can't offer any advice about whether if it's allowed, but I'd suggest wearing some kind of shorts underneath. We were recently on a trip with a lot of walking, and one day my daughter wore a dress. Her legs were rubbing together in places they don't in pants, and by the end of the day she ended up with painful, chafed skin. Lesson learned for us the hard way!

I think that 17 & 18 year olds just think a little differently about things than older adults... so I wouldn’t worry what others think about your choice (except to wear some shorts under your dresses for comfort as pp mentioned). As long as you are not dressing like a Disney character (and not sure any Disney characters wear short prom dresses) you should be fine. So go for it!
Maybe bring a change of clothes in case you want to change into more comfy clothes later in the day. And comfy shoes too.
Sounds like you two will have fun :flower1:

Depending on how short you might find it cumbersome to get in ride cars and expose yourself to others.

Last edited:

I think you will be fine in terms of what is allowed, so go for it. I would, as others have, suggest a pair of bike shorts under the dresses and comfortable shoes. Also, if the dresses are very special, I would just say that Disney is not always a kind place for clothing. Things get wet, dirty and stained just from walking in and around queues.

Other than that, have fun!

My DD (19) will only wear dresses to the parks. She loves to wear her summer dresses (dance shorts underneath) and loves to match them up with the characters she is meeting. Yellow with Belle, blue with Cinderella etc. I don't think she would feel comfortable in a homecoming type dress but then I wouldn't want to wear a dress at all. I think it would also depend on the style of the dress. I wouldn't wear something that is very revealing and would definitely wear dance/bike shorts underneath.

As long as you've got a pair of shorts underneath (comfort and ease of climbing into/out of rides), and you're not worried about the potential damage to the dress... you should be okay. Dapper Day and its offshoots are some of my favorite days to people-watch. :) Some may not understand, but they don't need to understand... if you are comfortable, have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts