Drive around or go straight to Seattle Port?

DHCruise

Mouseketeer
Since this is our first time doing a RCI cruise, I'm not sure of the tricks like with a Disney Cruise.

So it looks like our flight arrives in Seattle at 8am. I'm not sure what the typical time one should be at the RCI port.

I was either going to rent a car and drive to the Public Market to pass some time. Or just take Uber/Lyft from the airport straight to the port.

Not sure how much time is really needed. I know there's not going to be Character pictures like DCL from Port Canaveral, so I don't want to be sitting there with my family for too long being bored.

Also, will the Explorer of the Seas have the lunch buffet open once we are on board? What time can we go to our room usually?

If you get in at 8am, I'd drive around for a couple hours. Unless you are in a Grand Suite, you're not getting on the ship until 12 to 2pm. You'll get really bored waiting in the terminal.

There will be a lunch buffet open in the Windjammer when you board.

You can usually get in your rooms about 1-1:30. They will announce when the rooms are ready.

We sailed out of Seattle at the end of September and checked in at 10:30 and were on board by 11:15 or so. That said, Seattle is a terrific city and I'd want to drive around.

I'm sure the Windjammer will be open when you're onboard.

Rooms tend to open around 1.

Look to see if there are any events happening in Seattle that day. Things can get jammed up beyond belief there. I'm not sure what dates Explorer sails, but check for running events (like if you're going on June 18th you're looking at Rock&Roll marathon events). There Labor Day weekend there's Bumbershoot (hmm, what did I name myself for?), Memorial Day weekend there's Folk Life. Seafair events go on for what feels like forever. Any of those will stop up traffic on the freeways and inside downtown. And don't forget Mariners and Sounders games, as well as concerts at CenturyLink or Safeco Field.

If you get a rental what will you do with it?

What pier does Explorer leave from?

I might consider relaxing on my way out of the airport (changing clothes, freshening up, etc), then depending on the luggage I have (if it's light) getting Uber to snag breakfast somewhere, then another Uber to the port. (if you were going to park the car or if there's a return option near the pier then just do that) Parking at Pike Place is tricky; just budget some money for a parking garage and do it. Have a navigator and a driver, and let each of them do their job. No need starting off the trip with an argument b/c traffic in downtown Seattle is horrendous. (it took my husband an hour to get from his office near the downtown Westin to the freeway yesterday, and that's on a bus)

There's an Alamo downtown by Westlake Center that we've used, you could rent at the airport and drop off there. You can walk to the market from there, or take the monorail to Seattle Center/the Space Needle. Uber to the port is easy.

So it looks like Explorer leaves from Pier 91. I thought it was the pier closest to Pike Place, but it's not. Is it true that UBER/LYFT at the Seattle Airport are only small cars? No vans? We have 2 adults and 2 kids, with luggage for a 7 night cruise haha. I don't think we would fit in a prius. We might just head straight to the port. Now I just need to figure out what is the best way. Shuttle, uber/lyft or taxi. I'm assuming renting a car would be more expensive. hmmm...
If we do a rental car, i think the plan was to mostly go to Pike's Place, but the Pier distance concerns me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter