• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Minneapolis

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
Anyone done this trek? We are committed to it, but looking for some tips on making the trip easier. where did you stop along the way? How far did you get the first day? etc. We intend to leave late evening on the fist day and drive through the night, stopping at about 4:00 the next day? Trying to figure out about how far this plan would get us.

Suggestions? Ideas? Don't need to be told we're crazy, really seems like a better idea than flying with three little kids and the fortune airfare would cost us.

disneymom, I haven't driven - yet - but I talked with Rhonda, the mod from Camping Board recently, and she drives rountinely from MN to WDW. She says it's a 23 hour drive and she usually does 15 hours the first day and stops in Tennessee - sorry I can't remember if she told me a town or not - and then it's only 8 hours to WDW the next day. Now, I don't think she has real young kids, so she probably has fewer stops than a family like your would have.

I share your pain about the airfare. It's a quandry that we just can't seem to get good competition up here. If you have the time, check out the prices at worry free vacations website. You can book just charter airfare from them for nearly HALF the price NWA is charging. I am going in december and NWA wanted $373 PER PERSON:eek: for the flight times I wanted. Champion Air, through worry free, I booked at $203. Not the insanely low amounts that you see people getting from the east coast, but that's a VERY good price from MSP.

Also, if you aren't leaving too soon, sign up for Continental's e-mail notification program. I am hoping that they have a sale again soon. In January, they had a $99 ROUND TRIP airfare sale for departures through the end of May. It sold out most of its dates quite fast, but $99 airfare can't be beat and it may be worrth the time you would save driving to fly for that price. I remember that from MSP, flights went through Houston and I think Cinicinnatti and the times weren't bad.

Good luck.

disneymom, we drove to WDW from Southern Minnesota for the first time last November. Flying has become such a miserable experience that we decided to give driving a try. And much to our surprise, we loved it (smile).

We left early in the morning and drove 15 hours to just north of Atlanta. Stayed overnight in a Microtel and then drove the remaining 7 hours or so to WDW. We would stop and get gas, stretch, use the restrooms and then keep driving. Packed the car with a cooler and food so that we didn't need to stop during the day.

It was relaxing and fun to just listen to CD's, talk, nap when it wasn't my turn to drive and mostly just let the stress kind of drain away so that by the time we arrived we were in good moods and ready to go, unlike the bad moods we were in when we flew.

We have AAA, so had them do a triptik which was quite helpful for us. And we liked it so much that we are planning to drive again the end of October.

Have a wonderful trip!

We've made this trip several times, and although we've flown that last few times we still enjoy the drive.

When we drive we usually leave after work and go as far as Beloit/Janesville Wisconsin. Day 2 is really boring driving as it is mostly through flat or slightly rolling farmland and we stop in the Nashville area.

Day 3 is when we arrive at Disney. By getting the first 5 or so hours out of the way on the first night, it allows us to take a slightly slower pace the rest of the time. We also enjoy stopping at the roadside orange stands and almost always stop at Ruby Falls in Tennessee.

On the way back we spend most of the day at Disney, and then leave late afternoon again to get the first 5 hours out of the way before stopping the first time.

Driving straight through would save a lot of time but it just doesn't seem like vacation as much if we are driving all night, it seems like too much of a chore. We consider the drive and stops along the way to be an integral part of the vacation so this slower pace allows us to see the landmarks and take enough breaks so we don't get on each others nerves.

Also, we found out more about our kids after 24 hours in the car than I can believe. When you are a captive audience for each other, you get around to talking about things that never come up in our busy lifestyles. Another benefit to driving is that the lines for the rides seem more manageable, after sitting in the car for 24 hours, maybe the kids build the patience that is sometimes necessary once you get there.

Also remember that if you have or rent a TV/VCR for the way down, watching a few Disney movies is a lot better way to get in the Disney mood than parking, waiting for your flight, and then sitting packed in a plane for a few hours.

When you fly, the only reason for the transportation is to get you to your destination. When you drive, make sure that the drive becomes part of the fun. You'd be amazed at how much the kids enjoy the little tourist attractions and gift shops on the way down.

We did the drive this year 21hrs from Milwaukee leaving in the evening and driving straight thru. It was easier then flying with our 2 DDs. HOWEVER, we had a tv/vcr which made a heck of a difference! We were not planning on driving thru the night but it was SO much mre peaceful with the girls asleep! THry were "cooked" by the next afternoon. Most make it to Atlanta and stay over in that area. We switched every 2hrs and it did get "rough" at times (5-7AM was the worse) but it wasn't horrible.

Hi disneymom3! We also have 3 little ones and will be driving to WDW next month from the Boston area, about a 21 hour ride. We have the same plan, leave in the evening and drive through the night. I think it will be so much easier to get that huge chunk of the drive out of the way while the kids are sleeping. We plan to stop for breakfast and a break when everyone is up and then hit the road again. We have a tv/vcr for this part of the trip. If they were older we would do more daytime driving, but for now I think this will be best.

We've been told we're crazy too, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. We flew with 2 young kids and it was NOT easy. Having the carseats, strollers, diaper bags, etc. not to mention our flight left 3 hours late, it wasn't fun.

Just wanted to wish you luck, sounds like we're in the same boat!

Originally posted by toystorymom
......We flew with 2 young kids and it was NOT easy. Having the carseats, strollers, diaper bags, etc. not to mention our flight left 3 hours late, it wasn't fun......

I can certainly agree with you! We flew from MSP to MCO last November with my brother, DSIL and their two children - a 5 1/2 year old and a 16 month old baby. Even with two extra adults, it was not easy! My DB said they wouldn't even consider a trip like that (10 days) without extra help. We made it just fine and a good time was had by all, but I gained a renewed appreciation for how much work traveling with small children can be. (It was so worth it though). Anyway, as much as I hate riding in a car, I can understand why you might choose to drive. Best wished to all!

Thanks all for the tips!
To answer some of the comments:
We are not flying due to our last experience being a fiasco--travelling with a one year old, a two year old and five year old all of whom have to have carseats in FL. Add to that a double stroller and diaperbag/backpack for each of the kids, major delays with the airline, eating at the airport--where we were stuck for an EXTRA 5 hours--and you can begin to see why we wnat to be on our own schedule in charge of where we stop and when! Not to mention that although I know we can get charter non-stop flights for around $200, with 5 people flying--I don't believe in holding little ones on the lap during airtravel--that is still a minimum of $1000 right there. And then we need to rent a minivan for 10 days! (Another line to stand it!)

Thanks to the poster who mentioned the Continental fares, but getting off the plane and back on just isn't an option we can consider--even for $99! (Besides flew them once with my kids by myself--they were sooo unhelpful, I swore i would never go back!)

We are not actually driving STRAIGHT through--I agree everyone would be too wiped out at the start of the trip! We are leaving the Friday after Thanksgiving--husband has that day off of work anyway,s o he will sleep while I get the last minute things done and pack up stuff. We plan to leave around 7:00 and figure after the first couple of hours the kids will fall asleep--I will parobably skip naps to ensure that they will go to sleep for the older two. WE intend to get about 10-12 hours out of the way while they sleep and then that whole day we can stop whenever needed and take our time.

Sounds like our best bet is to stop somewhere around Atlanta or perhaps a bit further depending in how everyone is doing.

Then on Sunday we will be arriving at our resort. Monday is a character breakfast day and that is about it. We should be recovered enough to then start the WDW excitement.

Thanks again for the input--especially knowing how far those first several hours and that others have done it too helps. Now just pray we don't get a Thanksgiving Blizzard!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter