Driving from NJ to Disney!

People saying they are doing it and 12 to 14 hours, I simply don’t believe that because if you do the averages, you would have to be sustaining 90 to 100 miles an hour for hours at a time and I find that hard to believe.

Same here. You have to stop for gas, use the restroom and eat.....so no one can drive it non-stop. I highly doubt anyone can drive 90+ mph for an extended time without getting a ticket. Occasionally, I see someone on the freeway going way faster, but they can't do that all the time. Just never know what the next radar police car might be. I think some people don't count the time they have to stop and only talk about the time spent on the road.

Max speed limits are 70 (some states might be lower), so anytime you stop, your average will go down. Some may drive 80, but if drive much higher then that you will get noticed by the authorities.

I'm planning on doing this drive from NY in February, leaving around 4 or 5am Friday morning, but was going to try to make it to Savannah the first night. Can I ask where you stayed in South Carolina and was it good? Thanks.

We like staying at Hilton Garden Inns.
There’s one in Florence SC and one in Savannah GA (probably in other cites too). Breakfast is not free but it’s a made to order buffet and is very good.

Ifit has not been mentioned look into driving through PA and meeting 95 in VA... it is more miles but trust me driving through DC is a pain and can be slow no matter what time..
I have driven to Disney once and left around 6PM and STILL hit traffic in DC.. flew back. A few years ago went to Busch gardens in VA both ways got nailed in DC... going was around 1 coming back was a weekend around 7 also hit a lot of traffic on parts of 95.... should have went through PA said it the first time... If you decided on 95 straight once you leave DC and get back on 95 GO LEFT otherwise you will be in the express lanes and add 20 bucks to the tolls before you realize it... and the tolls will be expensive either way if I recall into VA it was almost 50.00 I got nailed with the around 10.00 on the express lane...
as far as time I have found the time a GPS and others give you o be very accurate so long as you go the speed limit--likely until you get to VA you will be longer as you will be going slower than the speed limit after which you can make up for it. Stops are not included I would add a few hours to what you have... people say 12 hours for around 1,100 miles... ummm unless you plan on setting the cruise control for 100 I do not think that is happening.

I'm planning on doing this drive from NY in February, leaving around 4 or 5am Friday morning, but was going to try to make it to Savannah the first night. Can I ask where you stayed in South Carolina and was it good? Thanks.

We usually stay at the Walterboro Holiday Inn Express. It’s nice and clean and there are a bunch of restaurants and other hotels in the area so it’s a nice stopping point. ITs about an hour from Georgia so it’s roughly five and a half hours of driving the next day. We didn’t stop there this year (due to delays in leaving and detours in NC we didn’t stay there this year and the drive down didn’t feel quite the same lol).

We stayed in Walterboro on our last trip, ate dinner at Dukes Barbecue. Wow! Can't recommend it more highly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter