Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17 ?

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
We'll be driving next Sunday on the way to Grand Canyon. Are there any interesting stops along the way? We are not big on hiking, but do enjoy historical sites and nature. We don't mind short trips off the highway, but do want to get to Flagstaff before dark.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

We'll be driving next Sunday on the way to Grand Canyon. Are there any interesting stops along the way? We are not big on hiking, but do enjoy historical sites and nature. We don't mind short trips off the highway, but do want to get to Flagstaff before dark.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

We sometimes stop at Sedona on the way and get a late breakfast.

I agree with visiting Sedona. So many restaurants to choose from. You might be interested in a pink jeep tour over the red rocks. Then drive north through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. Very scenic route.

I agree with visiting Sedona. So many restaurants to choose from. You might be interested in a pink jeep tour over the red rocks. Then drive north through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. Very scenic route.
This

Sedona and Red Rock Country are just gorgeous and AMAZING.
Did the Pink Jeep Tour. OMG!!!!! Do the one route with limited availability, where you go out on the outcropping overlooking the Canyon. (Maybe Diamondback, or something like that?)
UNLESS YOU HAVE VERTIGO!!!!!!
We stayed at Sedona when we visited this area, and also saw GCNP.

IMHO, This area is more gorgeous because it is not barren like the Grand Canyon.
Just, of course, nothing can compete with the magnitude of the Grand Canyon.

Thank you for Sedona suggestion, We are planning on a nght in Sedona to check out the vortexes on the way back from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix.Our plan was to stay on highway 17 on the way up to Flagstaff. Has anyone visited Tombstone ?

Yes, it's on many, many travel guide lists, considered one of the most scenic drives in the U.S. It's Route 89A. Highway 17, bypasses the scenic route if one is in a hurry or a local who is not interested in taking that gorgeous drive. Don't confuse the two as you'll see nothing on the highway and you'll miss one of the most breathtakingly beautiful towns and drives in the country. :love: There is a way to get there from Hwy 17, take the Schnebly Hill Rd exit and head east to Sedona, about 10 min.

A couple of my favorite places to stop is, of course, the buttes/vortexes in Sedona. Walking up & down Main St. The Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village, at the southern end of Sedona. Heading north, out of town, Grasshopper Point park in between Sedona & Flagstaff. There is a little stream and rocky area to stop at, get some sun and just breathe and take in nature. Then the scenic drive though the canyon on 89A.

Heading from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, take the highway north & west though the western area of the Painted Desert (not to be confused with the Painted Desert Park, which is east of Flagstaff.) Take Rt 89, north out of Flagstaff and then head west at Cameron onto Rt 54. It is so beautiful with it's changing colors of landscape ranging from lavenders to shades of gray with vibrant colors of red, orange and pink. It looks like a gorgeous patchwork quilt on the ground. It shouldn't be missed. It's near the Petrified Forest. You can get into the Grand Canyon though the East Gate that way.

Last edited:
Has anyone visited Tombstone ?

Yes.....what do you want to know? It isn't by Flagstaff.
Touristy for sure. Wooden plank walks along the stores. Restaurants, Boot Hill, reenactment of the OK Corral, people walking around in western gear. Interesting for sure

Tombstone is a tourist trap, and it's the opposite direction away from Phoenix. The only interesting thing to see is the Boot Hill Cemetery, and if that's not appealing, don't bother.

Flagstaff is only 1 1/2-2 hours away from Phoenix, so stopping at Montezuma's Castle or Sedona really won't take too much time. Oak Creek Canyon is a beautiful drive, but can be obnoxious if the weather is warm enough for Slide Rock to be busy. Outside of Flagstaff, we've enjoyed a few hours at Bearizona, and on the other side of Flagstaff I really enjoyed the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert.

We did a summer holiday in Flagstaff when we lived in Phoenix. Visited Meteor Crater; it was not on the way but was not a long trip away from Flagstaff. The whole family enjoyed Montezuma's Castle, Tuzigoot is also really interesting and along the way. I can't think of a time we drove to Flagstaff where we didn't pass through Sedona at least for lunch and then went through Oak Creek Canyon until it hooked back up to I17. The interstate is very scenic on its own, especially if geology is of interest. Lots of interesting rock formations. Oh - and Montezuma's Well is also interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter