Driving time from southern Illinois?

chamonix

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
We are thinking of driving down on our next trip. (it's sort of a last minute trip) Has anyone driven from this area? How long will it take? What's a good place to stop halfway? Did you go through Atlanta or through Alabama to Dothan and the Florida panhandle? thanks!

We always drive, and split up the stay at Valdosta GA,(sp?) on the state line. I'm thinking about 15 hours. Definitely go thru Atlanta. It just depends on how the kids are, and how much you can take. You don't want to be worn completely out before you even get there. We drive a conversion van, so a little easier with TV and seat/bed in back. Where are you located and when are you going if I'm not being too nosy?

I live in Carbondale. We stayed at the Poly for the first two weeks of December, but we flew down that time. We bought AP's that trip and I just got the bug thinking we could drive down during dd's spring break, which is march 7-16th. We might go then, we might not. We are planning a trip in the summer too, not sure when though. We are too spoiled from no crowds-no lines in early December--but would like to go when it's warmer! I really hate to fly, so think the next trip (summer) we will definitely drive. (and living here, it means a tiny plane out of Marion, or drive 2+ hours and park and hassle in ST. Louis) It's just hard to do it when you only have a week--I hate to waste two days driving. Thanks for the reply! I knew there were a few southern Illinois folks here, and thought others from St. Louis area or even Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. might have some insight into this route and times. Hmmm. How long to Valdosta?

I'm thinking about 11 hours to Valdosta. We haven't gone that way since 1998 so I'm just trying to remember. We usually go thru the panhandle to Fort Walton first for a couple of days. But that's not the shortest way.

So you have gone through Alabama? How much longer would you say it was that way? When we go this summer we plan on going that way, through Birmingham and Dothan, etc, and go to the panhandle to stay at the beach a few days, although we are not sure exactly where yet.

We have gone that way. To Fort Walton it is about 10-11 hours from Harrisburg. On to Orlando, I think was about another 5 or 6 hours. It is a great way to split up the drive. We'll try Destin next time. Fort Walton is very quiet, but we always stayed at the Radison. Nice location, great pool, etc., but was getting a little run down back in 2001. Friends stayed at a place in Destin called Breaker's East, a condo right on the beach. We'll try that next time, www.destin-condos.net

Haven't driven since 95, but am seriously considering it again this summer. Have new suv, uncertain usa situations, save money & economize, etc.... Makes a lot of sense to have your own car in the event you might want to return home early? We were at wdw 9/11.

Anyway, we always go down Il 57 its VERY quiet for us from here, you probably save a good 3 to 4 hours on us! then we move into kentucky and merge into the 65 / 75 rat pack going straight to florida. I do remember, you do not want to get to atlanta at a rush hour time, be it the city or the turnabout. We stopped just outside of it in a small city (can't think of name dalton?) and woke about 3am, decided to get up and GO! we went straight through and was at wdw checking in about 9am! (although tired, very used to swing shifts) took a nap and were up in no time. Good thing GF had our room ready.

Also remember alot of congestion and slow going in: chattanooga, nashville, If we go through indiana 80 to 65 you also have indianapolosis, & louisville.

Total time from Joliet usually 24 hr's driving & keep in mind alot of the southern states have much higher speed limits on the highways.;) You have to keep reading the signs it seemed to change frequently, Illiniois is the slowiest of them all.

Good luck, and Happy motoring! :D MKY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter