Driving To Disney From Long Island

rserp

Earning My Ears
Going to Disney and Vero in August, was just wondering if anybody has driven from Long Island, how the driving trip was, what stops you made and what directions you used.

You taking the NJ TPK to the DE Memorial Bridge or hopping over to I-95 above Trenton ?
Only advice is to try and hit DE after 7:00 pm otherwise traffic is horrendous until you get below Richmond Va. Once outside of Va the trip is great.

Which way is the best, as this is my first time driving?

Thanks for your help

I would jump over to I-95. Last toll at end of TPK can be a nightmare,plus once your over the DE bridge you have to get on 95 anyway.

We have made this drive numerous times. We usually take the Verrazano to the Outer bridge to 95 south all the way. We would leave at around 6:30 pm after I got off work in Westbury, and pull into Orlando between 10 a.m. and 1 pm the next day. 15 and a half hours from Westbury was our best time, but usually would average around 17 hours. If you don't have EZ pass, I would strongly reccomend it. It works all the way through Maryland. You can get 660 WFAN all the way down to the top of South carolina, and ESPN radio all the way down, just have to switch the station a few times. We fly about 90% of the time, but on short notice trips over school holidays, we wind up driving because of sold out flights. This past Feb, around 2 A.M. ESPN radio was broadcasting live from the ESPN at the BW. It was pretty cool. On the way back, we usually stop overnight in Southern VA. Good Luck!

I don't know because I've never done it :) but just wanted to say Hi to my fellow Long Islanders :wave:

Hi DaisyDebbie...its Marianne from JayPD"s Bar-B-Q party from last summer..when are you going back to disney? Joe & I going Sept & Nov/Dec and then on to a Disney western cruise...anyway as for driving from LI..the few times that we did this(never again) never say never again..we would leave about 3 in the morning and stop about 3or4 the next afternoon,eat swim,relax and sleep and then start off the next leg of the trip about 4am again...if you can FLY.YOU CAN GET SOME GREAT FARES RIGHT OUT OF ISP ..which is so great for us LI'S to leave from..look at SW and for example we are going in Sept for $224. for 2 people RT...good luck in whatever you decide...Marianne :earsgirl: :wave:

KNWVIKING is right-once around the DC part of Va. the rest of the trip is fine on I-95. My advice--get around Baltimore and especially DC before or after rush hour. Get near those cities during rush hour and you're in for a long and anxiety filled delay. The dead of nite is best for both places-tho you'll be amazed (as I was )at the # of trucks on the road. I shared the Baltimore Beltway with about 200 trucks at 4:00 AM on a Friday morning when we drove down in May.

We've made the trip 4 times with 3-4 small children.The best advice is LEAVE EARLY or LEAVE LATE.Driving through DC is terrible probably worse than LI's traffic.Once past DC it's a breeze figure 16-20 hours depending on how many breaks you'll take.Join AAA their maps and tour books are great and you'll have peace of mind encase you break down on your trip.Good luck

Getting off of Long Island is half the battle! Some times you breeze right off, even during rush hour and other times no matter which route or time you leave you're screwed. When we went in March, we left 10 at night and it took us over two and a half hours to get off of the Island.We will drive again though. Good luck!

95 through Philly & Chester can be worse then the lines in MK durning spring break. 95 takes you out of the way Turnpike or 295 are stright lines to Delaware but 295 by 676 is a bad at rush hour driving Stay on the turnpike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter