Drydock for Wonder - September 2019 - What's Being Renewed/Improved?

BarbossasWench

Mouseketeer
The Wonder goes into Drydock in September 2019, right before we cruise on her out of San Diego Does anyone have an idea what might get renewed, improved? How would I find out?

I don’t know what work she is getting done, but I would avoid the first cruise or 2 before and after a shipyard period based on people’s past experiences.

I think it's likely the Wonder will get the on demand movies on the stateroom TV, like the Dream/Fantasy since the Magic had that done during its last refurb. No idea on what else they'll do! It is a short dry dock, so probably not 'too' much.

I have also heard that the plan is to add the On Demand TV. I don't know what else they would add unless they figured out how to put an ice cream shop in like the bigger ships have.

I believe they are converting some rooms into concierge rooms as part of the dry dock. Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm very curious, however, as I'll be on the cruise right after the dry dock :)

I think it's likely the Wonder will get the on demand movies on the stateroom TV, like the Dream/Fantasy since the Magic had that done during its last refurb. No idea on what else they'll do! It is a short dry dock, so probably not 'too' much.

Jeez, I am so hoping for on demand . . .

The Edge for sure is getting a makeover. I'm sure other than that she's getting some touchups of paint and the like.

I don’t know what work she is getting done, but I would avoid the first cruise or 2 before and after a shipyard period based on people’s past experiences.

What are the horror stories for cruising right after a dry dock?

What are the horror stories for cruising right after a dry dock?

Work can still be going on best-case.

Worst-case there are enough issues they have to cancel a sailing or two after the scheduled drydock to finish the work.

Typically dry docks are to satisfy any number of alphabet soup organizations that have a hand in maritime shipping cruising etc. While the ships are down is when lines take advantage to change things up some. I beleive this is a short rehab and checks.

With that said, depends on what's left from. the previous dry dock as to what gets done this time. They may do carpets in some cabins, new tile, update electronics packages like the wires servers etc. All depends. It's rare a line will say were doing this this and this because sometimes either money or time will run out to do the entire list.

Last edited:
Work can still be going on best-case.

Worst-case there are enough issues they have to cancel a sailing or two after the scheduled drydock to finish the work.

Oh now you have made me paranoid our cruise is going to be cancelled!

Oh now you have made me paranoid our cruise is going to be cancelled!

If nothing much is being done - and there is not a crane accident like in Freeport (which not only damaged the Oasis, it damaged the dock so that other scheduled dry docks had to be rerouted - the Celebrity Equinox was supposed to have a LOT done to it there, and supplies were already in place, but she had to reroute to Cadiz, effectively losing two weeks of work time and virtually nothing of the promised “revolution” was carried out) - it will likely be fine. But as a rule a lot of experienced cruisers avoid the first few out of dry dock just in case. I would definitely insure the flights - the cruiseline will take care if the cruise portion, but the airfare is generally only a change fee coverage.

I've heard it's going to be On Demand for the room tv's and it's to turn some more rooms on deck 8 into concierge rooms. And that the drydock will take place in Victoria BC (not Vancouver). This was from someone in the concierge lounge in March (not one of the hosts).

It's only 2 weeks and it's not a major-major refurb so the cruises right after will be fine.

If nothing much is being done - and there is not a crane accident like in Freeport (which not only damaged the Oasis, it damaged the dock so that other scheduled dry docks had to be rerouted - the Celebrity Equinox was supposed to have a LOT done to it there, and supplies were already in place, but she had to reroute to Cadiz, effectively losing two weeks of work time and virtually nothing of the promised “revolution” was carried out) - it will likely be fine. But as a rule a lot of experienced cruisers avoid the first few out of dry dock just in case. I would definitely insure the flights - the cruiseline will take care if the cruise portion, but the airfare is generally only a change fee coverage.

We are local and only taking the train up to Vancouver so I'm not worried about having to insure flights - thankfully. Just would mean last minute we'd need to book down to Anaheim since we have Disneyland plans after the cruise.

I've heard it's going to be On Demand for the room tv's and it's to turn some more rooms on deck 8 into concierge rooms. And that the drydock will take place in Victoria BC (not Vancouver). This was from someone in the concierge lounge in March (not one of the hosts).

It's only 2 weeks and it's not a major-major refurb so the cruises right after will be fine.

That matches basically what I heard as well. Though, I did not know where the actual refurb was taking place. I assumed somewhere in Canada since the cruise after is a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.

Yep I had the last Alaska booked for this year. Than I found out there was a dry dock scheduled. So I changed it to a transatlantic and doing Alaska next year. Wouldn’t mind if there was a big discount but of course not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts