Drydock for Wonder - September 2019 - What's Being Renewed/Improved?

My husband and I did the cruise right after a dry dock once and they were still painting and varnishing different places. The smells were very strong.

I've heard it's going to be On Demand for the room tv's and it's to turn some more rooms on deck 8 into concierge rooms. And that the drydock will take place in Victoria BC (not Vancouver). This was from someone in the concierge lounge in March (not one of the hosts).

It's only 2 weeks and it's not a major-major refurb so the cruises right after will be fine.
Yes, the wonder will now have more concierge rooms than any other ship in the fleet after this dry dock. Never going to get a cabana unless you are concierge on this ship!

My husband and I did the cruise right after a dry dock once and they were still painting and varnishing different places. The smells were very strong.

It's done that on cruises that have NOT just come from drydock as well. It seems like it is always painting and touching things up.

Yes, the wonder will now have more concierge rooms than any other ship in the fleet after this dry dock. Never going to get a cabana unless you are concierge on this ship!

But, if this ship remains on the West Coast, it won't be stopping at Castaway Cay very often.

What are the horror stories for cruising right after a dry dock?
The Magic had pmubing that was backing up or not working. Lots of painting and varshing still had to be completed on balconies, that had people staying in them. Outlet covers and lamps were missing, etc. This was also one of Disney's first major dry docks. They had counted on much of the work being done on the crossing from Cadiz, but bad weather nixed that. They even cancelled like the first 2 cruises as the Magic sat at Canaveral.

The Fantasy in 2017 had carpet replacement in the stairwells, though they tried to do it at night. The new carpet in the atrium was so plush that the strands kept coming up, so housekeeping was out with brooms all the time getting up the pills. There was rumors that the vibration issue had been corrected, and I think on the second night, there was a shudder as there was an issue with propulsion. The ship was about 7 hours late in arriving to Canaveral and the following cruise was delayed almost until 11pm leaving Canaveral. The cruise was also rerouted from Tortola to San Juan so they could take time to continue repairs and have an American port for parts shipments and shipping people home if required.

I would also mention that cruises right BEFORE a dry dock also have a lot of contractors on board begining preparations and planning activities. It isn't uncommon to have them starting to pull areas from service to begin preparations.

It sure would be nice if they would upgrade their internet service to the same that RCCL uses.
Never going to happen, as long as DCL can make bank on selling the internet packages they don't have any incentive to upgrade or offer unlimited services. On the flip side, satellite internet which is what they use for at sea internet service is pricey and if it gets clogged with hundreds of users online at the same time it would be just as slow as it is now if they offered unlimited service. So it's a toss up.

Never going to happen, as long as DCL can make bank on selling the internet packages they don't have any incentive to upgrade or offer unlimited services. On the flip side, satellite internet which is what they use for at sea internet service is pricey and if it gets clogged with hundreds of users online at the same time it would be just as slow as it is now if they offered unlimited service. So it's a toss up.
Agree with you on as long as people pay why would DCL make it better. But as for your congestion comment don’t know how RCCL does it but no problems with their satellite internet service that has unlimited packages. I’ve also used satellite based internet on some recent plane flights and was able to stream videos without any problems. So someone has figured out how to do it.

The Disney Wonder arrived at dry dock this morning. My husband nearly fell off his bike on his commute when he turned the corner and saw it. Twelve days of distraction, here we come... They might as well put me to work on the ship, because I will otherwise be standing in the rain admiring it every day like a crazy fool.

I see many people admiring the Wonder, why not? It's a lovely ship :-)

It's also here for 2 weeks, so you've got 13 more days of distraction left 🙃

The Disney Wonder arrived at dry dock this morning. My husband nearly fell off his bike on his commute when he turned the corner and saw it. Twelve days of distraction, here we come... They might as well put me to work on the ship, because I will otherwise be standing in the rain admiring it every day like a crazy fool.
sees

Is the dry dock in Victoria? Or Vancouver?

What are the horror stories for cruising right after a dry dock?

We booked the first cruise after the Magic dry dock and it was canceled. Disney only gave a two day notice so we had to scramble to cancel flights and reschedule vacation time at work.

don’t know how RCCL does it but no problems with their satellite internet service that has unlimited packages.
RCCL launched their own dedicated high-speed satellite for internet. Most other cruise lines, including Disney, use shared older satellites with limited bandwidth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter