DSLR Lens in Parks

NJDad18

Mouseketeer
I just got a digital rebel XT and am thinking about getting a new walkaround lens (possibly sigma or tamron 18-200) to use when we go to WDW in August. What I'd like to know is what lens people are using and if it's not the kit lens (the one that came with the camera), why did you decide to buy that particular lens.

Thanks,

Joe

Please take this with a grain of salt, but my photo supplier told me that there is a possibility that come April or May Canon will release an 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS !!!!

If that becomes reality, I'll be the first selling my Sigma 18-125 for that lens.

Quite honestly I think it's going to be around $750 to $850 street. That's at par with Nikon 18-200 VR lens. However, once you use IS, you'll never go back.

IS (Image Stabilization), especially the new ones can give you up to 3-stop advantage. So if usually you need 1/30 sec shutter speed minimum for a wide-angle shot, with this lens you can bring the shutter speed down to 1/4 sec. This is especially useful in zooming. At 200mm, most people will need at least 1/200 sec shutter speed. With this lens, in real life application, you can bring the shutter speed down to 1/50... or even 1/25 (in theory).

Obviously I've never used this lens because it doesn't exist yet, but with my 70-200 IS, I've been taking pictures at 200mm focal length at 1/60 with zero blurring.

With PMA comeing up very soon I would expect to see a decent amount of new products. I don't know which onces as they won't say what they are untill the show but maybe we will get lucky and that canon lense will be revealed then. :D
Or maybe some other lenses/cameras which may be very afordable/good for any upcomeing trips you might be planning. Its a shame my bosses won't be going this year. :sad1:

Kelly Grannell said:
IS (Image Stabilization), especially the new ones can give you up to 3-stop advantage.

WOW(getting up off floor now), I never imagined that much. I thought 1.5-2 stops max and that is for a steady shooter to begin with.

Dont think I can give up my primes, but very interesting.

I used the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM almost exclusively on my last trip. It is a fairly sharp lens with image stabilization and a decent zoom range. Alot of Rebel owners like the Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM for much the same reasons but it has a bit more wide angle to it than the other. On a Rebel XT it is actually equivalent to a 28-135mm on a camera with a full frame sensor or a film body. The 28-135 runs about $420 and the 17-85 runs about $520 at a reputable online dealer. The kit lens can be quite good if you keep the f/stop at F/7.1 or F8.0 and try to avoid the extreme ends of it's zoom range. If you have lots of cash get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens ($1150) or the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens ($1250). They are among the best lenses you can buy.

We generally use our 18-70 lens for most shots but will change to our 70-300 one if we want to get closer for some of the details.

Anewman said:
WOW(getting up off floor now), I never imagined that much. I thought 1.5-2 stops max and that is for a steady shooter to begin with.

Dont think I can give up my primes, but very interesting.

With the older version, that was the case and I can never get the 2-stop advantage (using the old version). Using the new version, 3 stop advantage is the thoretical limit. I personally can get 2.5 stop on a good day but 2 stop on average.

Compared to primes? Stick to your primes. Nothing will beat prime lenses... it's not scientifically possible with the current optics technology.

ndelaware said:
I used the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM almost exclusively on my last trip. It is a fairly sharp lens with image stabilization and a decent zoom range.

This is my lens of choice for my Rebel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter