Dual Credit Classes

Sully321

Earning My Ears
So my daughter will be a junior in highschool starting in a few weeks. The future question I have is she is taking college classes as well as finishing her high school classes. She will be done with her freshman year of college when she graduates high school.

Does she still have to go to college and do a semester/be enrolled for a semester or does this count? Just not sure, but early scoping things out.

What do you want it to count for?

Also is she considered a student of the school she is attending or just a student of the high school? I know when I was in high school duel credit classes were actually taken at the local community college and you were registered as a student of the college including paying tuition to the college. In that case I would imagine you would be considered a college student and a high school student.

Are you asking if she would be able to take a year long break instead of start college right after graduation?
I took dual credit in high school and completed 12 hours (1 semester) of college credit, and still started college the semester after I graduated.

I assume she's talking specifically about the College Program, since completing a semester is a requirement.

Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.
  • Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.

To me this sounds like she must be enrolled in college strictly as a college student in order to apply.

I assume she's talking specifically about the College Program, since completing a semester is a requirement.

Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.
  • Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.

To me this sounds like she must be enrolled in college strictly as a college student in order to apply.

I do wonder though if DC students would be able to apply in their 1st semester of regular college though since they have completed high school at that point and have completed a semester of school. That is the grey area.

We are going to have to pay for the classes, but they are done through University of Texas online.
So I am not sure if she is enrolled since it is an online classes. Just getting basics out of the way.

We are going to have to pay for the classes, but they are done through University of Texas online.
So I am not sure if she is enrolled since it is an online classes. Just getting basics out of the way.

Since she is taking the classes even online she is probably enrolled as a student. They may have a specific classification though. That would have to be answered by UT.

Well we have some time, just was brought up at the dinner table and thought I would get advice from the best people with answers, the Disers!

I do wonder though if DC students would be able to apply in their 1st semester of regular college though since they have completed high school at that point and have completed a semester of school. That is the grey area.

Anyone is able to apply during their first semester. The summer post-high school/pre-college would be the grey area

• College freshmen may apply during their first semester of school to participate during their second semester. The Disney College Program cannot serve as your first semester of school.

I would think it would depend on how the school classifies dual-enrollments.
Looking at UT's site, it seems like they have a specific program for dual enrollment (https://highschool.utexas.edu/dual_credit). Because of this, I would assume she isn't classified as a true student, thus wouldn't be able to apply until her first semester of college

(it looks like this might be specifically for UT Austin? I don't know if it applies for all UT campuses or not)

Anyone is able to apply during their first semester. The summer post-high school/pre-college would be the grey area

• College freshmen may apply during their first semester of school to participate during their second semester. The Disney College Program cannot serve as your first semester of school.

I would think it would depend on how the school classifies dual-enrollments.
Looking at UT's site, it seems like they have a specific program for dual enrollment (https://highschool.utexas.edu/dual_credit). Because of this, I would assume she isn't classified as a true student, thus wouldn't be able to apply until her first semester of college

(it looks like this might be specifically for UT Austin? I don't know if it applies for all UT campuses or not)

Ah. It has been years since I've read the FAQ and rules so only could remember the completed 1 semester line.

My DD just graduated HS. Most colleges she applied to would only accept DE credits for classes she attended in person on the college campus. So on line classes would not have transferred. Just mentioning so you can check into that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter