DVC and Disney Magic

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Which DVC do you think has the most Disney theming? We recently stayed at the AKL and were disappointed in the feel of the resort for our taste (should have researched that one better).

You said it, should have researched it better. What kind of theming do you want? AKL is over the top with theming. We like OKW because it feels like Florida and we are from NH. We like VGF because it feels luxurious, and we don't live like that at home. We like SSR because of all the trees and the water. Boardwalk and Beach Club have a special feel to them too, and of course there is Poly with its theming. The one we don't like is BLT, because to us, it seems like just a modern hotel we would find in a city.

So you see, they all have theming, but they are all different, so you need to look at a lot of pictures and find the one that appeals to what you want for a theme.

Now if you are looking for Disney, look at Art of Animation, if that is what you mean, but it's not DVC.

None really have much Disney Magic, they are/were themed to the resort , ie OKW like Key West, Wilderness Lodge, like the lodges at the National Parks, AK you know, BCV and BW well, now like a Dallas Condo.

I think BWV and the Wilderness Lodge villas are very well themed. I love the Beach feeling of BCV. However, I love the theme of AKV, so obviously, we see things differently.

The only resorts in your face with characters are the Values. Big cement theming.

LOL - I realize theming is in the eye of the beholder and I didn't mean to imply that AKL didn't have theming it just wasn't Disney/Mickey Mouse theming. Good suggestion... review the pictures closely and the resorts are going to be themed more like the name implies.

it just wasn't Disney/Mickey Mouse theming.

If you want help with this, we have to know what YOU consider to be that sort of theming. What's your favorite non-DVC resort when it comes to that requirement.

I mean, to me having Mickey everywhere is the exact opposite of magic, and is rather annoying. But I also don't much care for AKL/V.

LOL - I realize theming is in the eye of the beholder and I didn't mean to imply that AKL didn't have theming it just wasn't Disney/Mickey Mouse theming. Good suggestion... review the pictures closely and the resorts are going to be themed more like the name implies.
None of the DVC resorts will be Disney/Mickey Mouse theming. Just tiny hints here and there.

DVC theming I think goes hand and hand with most of the Deluxe Resorts. Definitely, each resort has a certain theme, eg. Saratoga Springs mimics Saratoga Springs NY. BLT is an extension of CR which reflects Tommorowland.

Most resorts are on the sophisticated side. I love them all. That is why we bought into DVC. Great accommodations for families or when you want to spread out. But, the extra special touch to everything. To me that is Disney. Going the extra mile.....the extra special touch from the villas to pool areas to food and activity areas.

I really love Vero Beach, that turn of the century seaside resort. Animal Kingdom was very special, but a little dark. Kids and adults who love animals love this resort.

Wilderness Lodge is another favorite, I love the great northwest lodge feel.

My home resort is BLT, love the sleek and sophisticated high rise feel. Okay, I can find something to love in everyone of them!!!!

VGF has subtle Mary Poppins theming. There is a fountain in the lobby with the penguins dancing from Mary Poppins, and there is artwork in the villas reminiscent of Mary Poppins.
Poly has subtle Little Mermaid theming.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (the Hotel Rooms) has very nice Lion King theming. They deliberately toned down the Lion King theming in the Villas, because they expected a lot of repeat usage and felt that the over the top theming in the rooms would get old.

VGF has subtle Mary Poppins theming. There is a fountain in the lobby with the penguins dancing from Mary Poppins, and there is artwork in the villas reminiscent of Mary Poppins.
Poly has subtle Little Mermaid theming.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (the Hotel Rooms) has very nice Lion King theming. They deliberately toned down the Lion King theming in the Villas, because they expected a lot of repeat usage and felt that the over the top theming in the rooms would get old.
But the villas themselves don't have much Mary Poppins theming in them. They are just really, really nice villas. The drop down murphy bed has text from Stay Awake written inside; that's the only MP's touches that I found.

I thought Polynesian Villas and Bungalows were more Lilo and Stitch theming than Little Mermaid. And, again, not much in the villas themselves.

But the villas themselves don't have much Mary Poppins theming in them. They are just really, really nice villas. The drop down murphy bed has text from Stay Awake written inside; that's the only MP's touches that I found.

I thought Polynesian Villas and Bungalows were more Lilo and Stitch theming than Little Mermaid. And, again, not much in the villas themselves.
Looked back at my photos and found some nice Mary Poppins theming, but also some Mickey and Minnie, and some Dumbo.

Here are photos from a 2BR. I see Mary Poppins and below I see Dumbo. More in the next post.
IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0613.jpg

Here is another photo from the VGF 2BR (Mickey and Minnie) as well as a photo from a studio.

IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0114.jpg

We had the first two in our one bedroom and the Mickey/Minnie as well. But not the MP and Happiest Millionaire. We had a girl on an old time bike. DSC02532.jpg DSC02535.jpg

So unless you really looked closely at the cut paper artwork in the bedroom, you wouldn't recognize it at MP. I thought it was just Victorian.

I think most of the DVC's have tasteful Disney decor --- you will look at certain lights, railings pillows and notice mickey or other characters. We love searching around for those hidden mickeys! Each resort has it's own unique theme/feel but will incorporate more subtle Disney notations. I think that is what we pay for -- we know we are at WDW, but they are not throwing characters in our face. Like others have mentioned the values probably have the most in your face Disney theming, so probably looking at some youtube videos of each resort, prior to booking your next trip, will give you a good idea of what the rooms and resorts look and feel like.

Which DVC do you think has the most Disney theming? We recently stayed at the AKL and were disappointed in the feel of the resort for our taste (should have researched that one better).

As many have stated, none of the DVC resorts really have very much "classic Disney" theming. Nothing along the lines of say AoA, ASM etc... That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Everyone is so different in their taste and what actually feels like "Disney" to them. For us, it gets no better than BWV. I'm sure plenty would disagree (and plenty more would agree), but BWV feels perfectly "Disney" to us. Now maybe that's just because we stay there all the time and therefore associate it with Disney. Who knows.

Now I know a lot of people hate the theme of BLT. And while I can certainly understand that given the room decor and modern feel (even though we personally don't mind it), there's just something inherently "Disney" about being able to see Cinderella's Castle, the monorail, the original Contemporary tower etc... from your hotel. Again, all personal preference.

I would say to just stay as many places as you can until you find that "sweet spot". For us its BWV (and BCV if need be for that area) or BLT. I know plenty who LOVE SSR...us? We're kinda meh on SSR. It's really all up to you and what you find hits that right chord for you and your family.

I love the theming of the few DVC resorts I've been in-but I still hope they eventually make a tower of DVC villas at the Disneyland Hotel. We are West Coasters and DL is our favorite (plus easiest to get to); have a contract in ROFR at GCV and I'm super excited about it, but we loooove the retro Disney style of the DLH and it would be fabulous to be able to buy there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter