DVC and resale purchase

Matt and Emma

Earning My Ears
if I buy disney DVC contract and also a resale, can I combine the points to use at the same time and do I still get the membership benefits of buying through Disney ?

Make sure they are the same use year. You can only combine them at 7 months if they are different resorts.

Ex. I have 275 SSR points. 250 through resale and 25 direct (grandfathered in). I have the blue card, I get the discounts etc. However, I have restrictions on the 250 resale points and can't use those for The Collection, ABD or DCL. But it's easy for me to use my points together because they are the same use year. Obviously being the same resort helps too, but I have yet to stay at SSR, so booking at 11 months has never been an issue

If the points are the same UY and the same resort (and titled the same so the same member number), you can use them to book your home resort at 11 months out. If they are not the same UY, you'd have to transfer from one to the other. If they were not the same resort, you could not combine them at 11 months out and would need to wait until seven months out.

If you buy less then 75 point direct you will not get the "perks" like discounted annual pass and discounted food/merc in the parks. Also any points you buy resale you cannot swap for Disney Cruises or Disney Adventure etc., but that "perk" is a huge waste of your points, you would be better off renting the points and buying the cruise tickets with cash. Since you will be buying your resale points after Jan 19th 2019 (unless you already bought them), you will also not be able to use those points to stay at resorts build after the original 14 (Riviera and newer). As people have mentioned if you buy at the same resort and use year the all the points will be under the same contract number and available at the same time.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but the only benefit you would lose is the home resort advantage booking at 11 months. If you are staying on points from the resale contract, you still have a blue membership card that affords you all the other priveleges, regardless of which points were used to book. Using a banking/borrowing strategy might be better if you wanted to book at 11 months for your direct buy home resort rather than transferring points and booking at 7 months, if that’s important to you.

Oh, and you could only use the direct points on Riviera and newer properties.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but the only benefit you would lose is the home resort advantage booking at 11 months. If you are staying on points from the resale contract, you still have a blue membership card that affords you all the other priveleges, regardless of which points were used to book. Using a banking/borrowing strategy might be better if you wanted to book at 11 months for your direct buy home resort rather than transferring points and booking at 7 months, if that’s important to you.

Oh, and you could only use the direct points on Riviera and newer properties.

I think how you're saying this is confusing. I hesitate to say wrong, outright.

Each contract would have 11-month booking at home resort. If they were the same home resort, same UY, titled the same, they could be used seamlessly at 11 months. If they differed in any respect (home resort, UY, title) they would function as fully separate contracts and require transfer from one 'account' to the other to use together, and the use together would depend on which element varied.

So same home, different UY, would require a transfer, but could then be used together at 11 months.

Resale is not restricted from booking at home resort.

I think how you're saying this is confusing. I hesitate to say wrong, outright.

Each contract would have 11-month booking at home resort. If they were the same home resort, same UY, titled the same, they could be used seamlessly at 11 months. If they differed in any respect (home resort, UY, title) they would function as fully separate contracts and require transfer from one 'account' to the other to use together, and the use together would depend on which element varied.

So same home, different UY, would require a transfer, but could then be used together at 11 months.

Resale is not restricted from booking at home resort.

There is no doubt how I said it seems confusing, now having read it again. The OP’s question was fairly general, and I was only meaning to imply that general membership benefits (discounts/lounges/passes/etc.) apply regardless of which points you use for the stay if you hold a blue membership card. And that the main issue would be booking time frames. But I admit I’m not sure that’s even what the OP was asking, or if it was simply the use of the direct/resale points.

What you just said has me thinking of a question. Let me use my situation to see if I have it correct. I have 75 direct points at SSR, I will hopefully have 175 resale, waiting on ROFR, also at SSR, same UY, same title. Won’t the resale points still be somewhat restricted in use (at new resorts) since they will have been purchased after the Jan change? Surely they will somehow be differentiated in the account, yes?

Surely they will somehow be differentiated in the account, yes?
Correct resale and direct points are restricted on their uses based on a contract by contract basis. So when you buy that contract you will have different restrictions for each one. Some can be used on the Disney Collection, DCL, and ABD and some can be used at all resorts while others can't. The only thing 75 points does from a benefit perspective is give your membership access to the Membership Extras but doesn't make it so all your points have the same status.

I have 75 direct points at SSR, I will hopefully have 175 resale, waiting on ROFR, also at SSR, same UY, same title. Won’t the resale points still be somewhat restricted in use (at new resorts) since they will have been purchased after the Jan change? Surely they will somehow be differentiated in the account, yes?

Correct. But they also wouldn't be eligible at 11 months regardless. Only the 75 will have status to book Riviera, and depending on the point chart, might not get you far anyway.

Correct resale and direct points are restricted on their uses based on a contract by contract basis. So when you buy that contract you will have different restrictions for each one. Some can be used on the Disney Collection, DCL, and ABD and some can be used at all resorts while others can't. The only thing 75 points does from a benefit perspective is give your membership access to the Membership Extras but doesn't make it so all your points have the same status.
Very good, that’s what I thought. But if combined in one account as the same resort, UY, and title, you could book them together for a single stay?

For example, I have my 175 in resale, 75 direct, assuming they are in one account and I want to do an 8 day stay, I can book SSR for 200 points using the one account vs transferring from one account to another, or having to book a 6 day and a 2 day reservation seperately, then getting member services to link the reservations?

Btw, thanks for the help!

For example, I have my 175 in resale, 75 direct, assuming they are in one account and I want to do an 8 day stay, I can book SSR for 200 points using the one account vs transferring from one account to another, or having to book a 6 day and a 2 day reservation seperately, then getting member services to link the reservations?
As long as you have the Deeds exactly the same and the same Use Year then those contracts show up under one Membership #.

The contracts under that membership number can be used to create stays by combining points. Same Resorts can be combined at 11 months and Different Resorts at 7 Months. So since yours are the same resort you won't really notice a difference when booking DVC resorts (for the original 14). Though you should select DVC to use both contracts when making reservations so it knows you want to use both of them. It will always take points based on what is advantageous to you. Keep in mind as your 75 direct at SSR will be eligible at Riviera and Reflections so you may want to use those points last when booking so you can book at Riviera with the 75 point contract. MS can always reallocate points as long as it isn't violating any Home Resort Priority Period.

Last edited:
Correct. But they also wouldn't be eligible at 11 months regardless. Only the 75 will have status to book Riviera, and depending on the point chart, might not get you far anyway.

As long as you have the Deeds exactly the same and the same Use Year then those contracts show up under one Membership #.

The contracts under that membership number can be used to create stays by combining points. Same Resorts can be combined at 11 months and Different Resorts at 7 Months. So since yours are the same resort you won't really notice a difference when booking DVC resorts (for the original 14). Though you should select DVC to use both contracts when making reservations so it knows you want to use both of them. It will always take points based on what is advantageous to you. Keep in mind as your 75 direct at SSR will be eligible at Riviera and Reflections so you may want to use those points last when booking so you can book at Riviera with the 75 point contract. MS can always reallocate points as long as it isn't violating any Home Resort Priority Period.

Thank you both for your time helping me fully understand exactly how this works. So let me kick the confusion in to high gear and present a somewhat complex scenario to make sure I get how the whole same account/separate direct/resale contracts work. Bear with me on this...

In my scenario, again 75 direct, 175 resale, and while I completely agree and understood going in that 75 points wouldn’t get me much at Riviera or any newer resort in a single year, couldn’t I in theory use a strategy like this?

Year 1- 25 direct points (bank 50 into year 2) + 225 resale points (175 + borrow 50 from year 2)= 250 points to stay at an original 14 property.

Year 2- 200 direct points (75+50 banked+75 borrowed from year 3) + 50 resale points (175-50 borrowed in year 1 - bank 75 into year 3)= 250 points, 200 to use at a new property, 50 at original property.

Year 3- 0 direct points (borrowed into year 2) + 250 resale (175+75 banked from year 2)=250 resale points to use at an original 14 property.

When I said above about a bank/borrow strategy this is kind of what I was referring to. As confusing as this may seem, do you have this level of control over which points can be banked, borrowed, and used for each year you use them? I fully understand I may never be able to make something like that work based on only being able to book 7 months out, it’s more of a mental exercise to assure I understand how you can move the points around to your benefit.

Thanks again!

I think your math works, but it is worth mentioning that the direct points can be booked at ANY resort, original or new... the resale points will have the restrictions.

I think your math works, but it is worth mentioning that the direct points can be booked at ANY resort, original or new... the resale points will have the restrictions.
Yes thank you for clarifying that. I only meant to imply the 200 points use at a new property in year 2 in my example as the reason for using this strategy to accumulate enough direct points for a meaningful stay at one of the newer properties.

Yes, you can bank & borrow the points from the direct contract and use them to book Riviera at 7 months (assuming there is availability).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter