DVC I.D. And Discount Problems

Thanks for all the responses. I have ordered my wife a card. Haven’t got it yet but....

As a follow up, it’s the Epcot Lounge people who keep advising to rake screen shots of cards and contracts. Someone should tell them this is not accepted many places. One place wouldn’t accept anything off a phone saying anything could be photoshopped.

Again, I just think a universal (sorry, bad word) policy is in order.
There is an official universal policy, and that policy is that the digital ID, as long as you have a photo ID, is just as good as the actual physical card, according to the DVC website. I would ask for a manager if the electronic card was declined, assuming it has valid dates and isn't an old screenshot.

Beyond a universal policy that its "as good", MS considers the digital ID a preferable proof of membership, because it carries an expiration. We were told by our advisor that we could SS the card AND our ID so we wouldn't have to carry a wallet.
I don't think I'm going to test that just yet.

Beyond a universal policy that its "as good", MS considers the digital ID a preferable proof of membership, because it carries an expiration. We were told by our advisor that we could SS the card AND our ID so we wouldn't have to carry a wallet.
I don't think I'm going to test that just yet.

We've only had the digital cards the last couple of trips and have never had an issue.

Fortunately I do have the physical card, but my experience - card and photo I.D. have been requested every time.

Personally I am surprised that Disney just doesn't require the online version of your membership ID. I mean, when I was a member of DVC, I had a blue physical card but a white online card. Get my drift? :rolleyes:

September is the first time we’re going as DVC members. So even if you pay with your Magic Band you need the card or digital card?

September is the first time we’re going as DVC members. So even if you pay with your Magic Band you need the card or digital card?

Definitely. The Magic Band just allows you to charge to the card you have on your MDE account. The restaurants and retail cannot look and see any affiliations. You need the physical card or digital ID and a photo id that matches the DVC membership card.

Definitely. The Magic Band just allows you to charge to the card you have on your MDE account. The restaurants and retail cannot look and see any affiliations. You need the physical card or digital ID and a photo id that matches the DVC membership card.
So no sending the kids (old enough) off to get what they want to eat or buy?

So no sending the kids (old enough) off to get what they want to eat or buy?

They can go purchase - will just need a pin assigned to them. The DVC card is needed for a discount and only owners qualify. If the CM follows the exact rules the person with the DVC discount card also is supposed to pay. But yes, the kids can purchase with their MB's, just no discounts on anything.

Last year at Aulani the cast members weren’t asking for any type of proof other than asking what our home resort was. Each time I was prepared to show my blue card and DL. By the end of the trip I carried neither as it seemed they didn’t care.

On the contrary when my kids were 8 and 11 there were CMs that would require them to show an ID to use their AP discount card at DW. While my kids did have state IDs, I found it odd that the CMs would require kids to show an ID. How many young children actually have IDs?

I am going in a few weeks and I am going to try the digital card and screenshot of my license to see if it works. Of course, I am also going to have the physical card and my actual license with me, just in case. But, I know I show the AP on my phone since the card I got is expired and a CM said all they need is it from your MDE account. I have had no trouble with that!

Calling mouse poop. 😉
Seems odd they can track everything on a magicband, they know where you are at all times, and attach a CC but not identify a DVC member. Are they gonna go broke by not just giving us our 10-20% discount?

Well, they can see some affiliations at some restaurants. I know an AP icon shows up on the hand held scanners...but not all the time. Even so, the problem is how much programming do they want to do, and is it cost effective for Disney to do so?

For instance, a restaurant tab is already calculated, you've told your server you have DVC or AP or TiW, and the bill is finalized. Since the MB scan is completed AFTER that, and affiliation that would be automatically linked to the MB would have to be recalculated after the payment scan is already done, a new itemized bill generated and so forth. Now, it could be done to do all that, but is the cost to do so really worth it to Disney, especially when you consider DVC, AP and TiW are all different divisions of the company. And now that we can use the phone to show our DVC and or AP card,upgrading the MB affiliations would seem less of a convenience than if we actually had to dig out the physical cards. Virtually everyone has a cell phone or tablet with them these days, anyway.

I don't understand why the fact of DVC ownership (direct or not if that matters) can't be programmed into the magic band. Pain in the neck to keep up with 2 cards and have to keep pulling them out.

I don't understand why the fact of DVC ownership (direct or not if that matters) can't be programmed into the magic band. Pain in the neck to keep up with 2 cards and have to keep pulling them out.
You could give your magic band to someone else who could then receive your discount/benefits. Instead they require your DVC card and photo ID to be sure you are the member.
Denise

You could give your magic band to someone else who could then receive your discount/benefits. Instead they require your DVC card and photo ID to be sure you are the member.
Denise

Like they do for giving out some AP items they would only have to require a photo ID along with the scanned MB to verify it is the same person. The card information or MB information would be interchangeable.

I have always disliked carrying balky stuff in my pockets. So I have a small lanyard I keep around my neck with a photo ID and Drivers license. That and the magic band attached to a CC is all I need when enjoying a magical day at the parks.

From a programming perspective this isn't a hard problem to code. Disney probably has the ability to include a picture of you on your DVC account so that they could verify you are the member. This would prevent giving your band to somebody else.

The issue above about having a total and then needing a discount applied is simple programming problem. This would require a simple If /then statement. If your a member bammm , you get a discount if not continue the transaction. For restranuants they could make a tip be based as a percentage so its easy. Price of a meal is variable "A", "B" and "C". Bill total is variable "D". If /then statement hits it lowers the total bill and then applies a tip. Easy pessy...

We hand over our license & corresponding DVC card, and not once have had an issue getting the discount that way. The very few times we accidentally gave a mismatch (e.g., husband's DL, my DVC card), they asked for the correct, matching DL/card. I would definitely suggest calling MS & requesting a card for your wife ASAP (I've had better luck asking MS than ordering them online).

Same with us. Both DH and I have blue cards. We show our blue card and license and never had any issues.

The only thing I've noticed is the kids cannot use the discount because they aren't on the deed. I completely understand that. DD will use her AP card with license for discounts if we're separated.

Apparently they do know when you’re a member. See this thread.

DVC Turnstile light not turning Purple
Hello,

Maybe someone can help me. When I bump my band & fingerprint entering the parks the light is purple versus green. Purple indicates that I am a DVC member which is pretty cool. Here is my question. My Band lights up purple but my wife's band does not; the light is green. I don't know why. We each have the my Disney experience App. Her profile on the App says she is a DVC member just like my profile says under my App settings. I call DVC member services and the very nice women(rep) I spoke with said the purple light is magic and is only suppose to show occasionally as a surprise/pixie dust moment. Well, I can tell you I have been a member for numerous years and my band always lights up purple every time I go through the turnstile and my wife's never does. My wife just noticed this past trip my purple light. Two weeks ago she saw the turnstile light up purple as I went through for the first time; she never noticed before. She is like why did that happen? I responded my light is always purple and the cast member says welcome home every time. My wife said her band never lights up purple, it is always green. I would like to make sure my wife's band lights up purple. I know it is a little thing and in the great grand scheme of things a colored light doesn't mean much. But I will say having the cast member say welcome home when you walk through the turnstile is cool and I would like my wife to have this experience. Any help someone can provide with why my wife's band that isn't lighting up purple would be greatly appreciated. Both our names are on the DVC contract and the My Disney Experience App is showing that it recognizes my wife and I as DVC members. So I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!