DVC- Just been to open house- help

orangetiggs

Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!
We have spent some time today at the open house and now dont know whether to buy or not!!!

Any advice from UK dvc owners??

We have spent some time today at the open house and now dont know whether to buy or not!!!

Do it, we only bought last year and I could do without the monthly payments but I look at those as what I would be putting away as holiday savings.

Also it's another asset you can leave for your twins to use

Have a good think, you won't need telling, but kids, especially new borns and twins at that are a serious drain on resources.

Could the thousands it costs, be better used on your kids? Just my opinion of course, obviously it is a fantastic idea, but in that situation I would be listening to my head.

It seriously depends on your financial situation. Personally it was the best thing ive ever done but i was fortunate enough to be able to pay mine off and not have a monthly payment (other than the annual dues of course).

It really is such a good investment but it depends on whether you will comfortably be able to afford it in the long run.

Good Luck!

My advice would be not to rush into it - unless you have spent a lot of time considering it and know that you fully understand the product. It's a big, and expensive commitment.

Here's a couple of threads you might care to look at: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2278779, and an older thread (before BLT) from the UK DVC board http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1587482

It's not right for everyone - it was for us; never once have I regretted the purchase but some do, and they are less likely to post IMO. Only you know your own circumstances.

Good luck with your decision :)

I think you should only do it when you are absolutely desparate to buy in.
If you are not sure then you need to wait until you are 100% sure.
Like someone else said children are VERY expensive. Perhaps when there are so many changes going on in your lives that it may be best to wait until a more settled time.

Saying that I do not regret buying into DVC for one minute.

We bought into DVC this year and DD (15 months) is the very reason. We took her for her first trip in March and stayed at CSR where we have stayed before as a couple and had no problems.

But after 2 days of buggy and baby on the bus I said if we go back I want to be at the Contemporary so we can walk to MK and be on the monorail for Epcot.

We had done the DVC tour back in 2006 and wasn't fussed either way but this time we went back so we could see the BLT models and we were sold.

For us the ability to walk to and from MK over the next many years will be priceless. I imagine with Twins that will be twice the perk!

This is just how it was for us and we knew we had enough disposable income to pay the inital cost off in about a year and pay the annual dues :goodvibes

If you are 100% sure then yes other wise I would put it off till you have thought it though at home.

Think,think,think it over,we spent a year thinking,then bought.Where did you usually stay before (deluxe if i recall? if so DVC a good option).
Would you be OK with the initial cost and the annual dues?
Sit down and do the maths, if cost works out over the time you would be visiting Disney over the years(would say it takes 6-7 stay to recoup cost).Then yes do it.could you cope if rate dropped back down to the low levels for last year?
Don't be pushed by people saying do it,make up your own mind in your own time,
for us was the best thing we have done,but for some it might not work out.each person has different views,just don't go on everyone elces but your own.
And good luck
Paul

I would suggest to take your time making your decision. If you decide that joining is the right thing for your family then choose 1) How many points you want to own 2) Which resort you want to own the points 3) If you want to purchase resale or from DVC

If you would like a brochure from The Timeshare Store, Inc.® please send us an e-mail at sales@dvcstore.com and we will be happy to get that to you. Please provide first and last names in the email. Be advised that our company also receives about 150 new listings every month and if you wanted to be added to the distribution list let us know. We would send you e-mails when we get new listings.

Be advised as a foreign seller (if you ever decided to sell) you would have to pay a FIRPTA tax at the time of closing. This is a 10% Foreign Investor Real Property Tax that comes out of your proceeds at the time of closing but with the proper paperwork most sellers are able to get this back 6 months later.

Good luck in your decision.

Jason

If you can't decide then maybe now is not the best time to be buying.

Think about your plans, 'do the math', and only when you are sure then go for it.

Personally, we bought 18 months ago and have just added on, and we love it, no regrets at all, but I couldn't have afforded it, or got the best use out of it for a variety of reasons, when my girls were small.

I would at least wait until you have got used to being a family of 4 with all the changes that brings!

We knew instantly we wanted to buy, as soon as we finished the open house tour, I said I wanted to buy, they wouldnt let me they told me I had to sleep on it:rotfl2:

Next day I still felt the same:thumbsup2 and that was 12 years ago, our kids were very young then, and we bought enough points for 2 weeks every 2 years in a 2 bedroom at OKW. Over the years we have stayed at lots of Disney property, and the kids have loved it, and I hope they still thank their dad for doing this :grouphug:

We have now added on at BLT:banana: evrn though the kids are now not so young they still only come on holiday with mum and dad to Disney.

I still today say it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

If you love Disney and I think you do :lmao: then you should do it, you always have a Disney holiday to look forward to and you know what you are going to get in terms of location, quality, friendliness etc etc.

Make sure you can afford it Is my only advice :teacher:, the dues every January are something you need to budget for as it always comes after Christmas spending:eek:

Tiggs obviously you may already have made your decision but remember the Open House is designed to blow you away! I'm assuming that they are offering you BLT? I've read on other boards that some CM's are failing to mention that there is other options! Firstly is BLT where you want to stay? I'm only asking because these are Premiuim points at the minute & would put me off.
We looked at BWV many moons ago & decided against it,had it had the wow factor of AKV,I'm sure that we would have bought.We never really regretted this decision until we decided that DVC was perhaps for us that we suddenly started to think "you know what,we could of had our monies' worth...."
I don't know your finiancial situation but I do know that kids cost money,a lot of money! I'm sure at the minute your heart is saying buy & your head is saying not... I know what I would do but it's your decision!
SD:thumbsup2

There are cheaper time share options, the choice to go with Disney is a personal one. Let yourselves cool off and do the maths. If you choose Disney it will be because of preference and not based on a cost saving. (we have 234 point at Kidani and love it)

I'd say that if you can afford to buy it without financing and you're sure you'll be going to Disney at least once every 3 years then go for it. If you have to finance then have a serious think about it before you commit to anything.

We bought into DVC in 2005 at OKW and added on at BLT (which is our favourite resort) We've not regretted our decision at all and love being able to stay in deluxe accommodation at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck with what you decide :goodvibes

We have spent some time today at the open house and now dont know whether to buy or not!

in my case we were paying at least £2,000-£3,000 to holiday in WDW every year and my only regret is not doing it sooner .since joining in 2004 i have easily recouped the cost .now we go three times every 2 years ,twice with our membership and once with a cheapy using tesco vouchers. the only down side for me is the cost of flights .

We are like rabit above, This year was my 7th trip to WDW and 5 of those i have stopped on disney (all star resorts) We went to the open house this year and didnt buy in as i wanted to see how much cheaper it would be with places like the timeshare/dvc resales etc. I will be buying into the DVC in 2010 and i wished id done it sooner as i would have saved some money in the long run.
I am thinking of the future, we love WDW and could see myself going there for years to come even though you can use your points to go elsewhere.
Its seems a very personal thing, for us it makes alot of sense, currently flight prices are a nightmare but in the next ten years or so my kids may not want to holiday with mum and dad so i will only need two flights not four ( did that sound selfish ! )

It's definitely not worth financing as that could put too much pressure on the family and future commitments.

I would say that if you can afford the purchase, then you can always sell points annually to cover the dues and give some money back towards the capital, we have never done this though but of you do the maths then its all ok, dues are always circa $4-5 and points seem to sell for $9-11.

With young ones, you will definitely get cheaper deals with package breaks rather than flight only ones to stay on site, however, you are then weighing up the quality of accom in the DVC resorts vs the standard ones.

In the early years, we were in the parks so much that the luxury accom was perhaps what it says, a luxury, but the more we go, the more we relax and have days by the pool and half days in parks.

We are taking friends and family this year which is why we purchased and we also wanted to go to Disney for years to come.

We have exchanged succesfully in Spain

but after all the practical reasoning etc, all I can say is that it is very magical staying in the different resorts at a fraction of the cost to what others pay and being treated like royalty when returning back home.

I cannot wait now for trip back in July this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter