DVC Layoffs

EM Lawrence

DIS Veteran
I’ve seen from two sources that included in the massive layoffs at Disney are 279 DVC employees. I’m assuming this is mostly on the sales side. So sad!!

I wonder if it also includes Membership Administration as well since some of those are related to sales too.

Lots of divisions thought the company under review for lay offs

There are many jobs at DVC that are usage dependent. For example, if only 75% of the resort is filled, the staff needed to clean is reduced, as is the number of lifeguards, people in the community center, the people at the Epcot lounge, and the front desk staff.

There are jobs at DVC that are sales dependent, like those people who stand in the kiosks who entice you to make an appointment for a tour, actual sales persons, and member administration.

I suspect that every part of DVC was asked how to cut their costs 10%, just like the resorts.

I’ve even been thinking about the DVC drivers that pick people up and take them to their DVC tour and then deliver them back to the parks or hotels.

There are many jobs at DVC that are usage dependent. For example, if only 75% of the resort is filled, the staff needed to clean is reduced, as is the number of lifeguards, people in the community center, the people at the Epcot lounge, and the front desk staff.

There are jobs at DVC that are sales dependent, like those people who stand in the kiosks who entice you to make an appointment for a tour, actual sales persons, and member administration.

I suspect that every part of DVC was asked how to cut their costs 10%, just like the resorts.
If you notice, the WARN notice cited in the DVCFan article is for DVD (the developer) and not DVC (the club). So the impact should not be felt in Member Services, Accounting or Satisfaction. And cuts to any resort staff would not be from among the 279 jobs mentioned in the article. The 279 jobs are under the DVD umbrella.

We need to distinguish between actual DVD or DVC employees and Disney employees. All those employees who work the resorts -- front desk, maintenance, bell services, housecleaning, lifeguards, etc., are Disney Parks and Resorts employees, not DVD or DVC employees. Those Disney employees serve DVC Resorts pursuant to an agreement DVCM has with Parks and Resorts, called the Property Management Subcontract (referred to in the annual budgets), under which DVCM on behalf of each association agrees to pay Parks and Resorts a share of the overall employee costs based on the services those Disney employees provide to the DVC Resorts. In other words, it is likely that many employees among the 28,000 being laid off by Disney include those who also did some work for DVC. The 279 is actually a significant number for just DVD/DVC employees . Those would be DVD specific (sales, presentations, special perks including at the resorts and in relation to to things like the lounge and member events) and potentially those connected to Member Administration, accounting, MS reservations, and other computer-based activities applicable to all DVC Resorts.

Last edited:
If you notice, the WARN notice cited in the DVCFan article is for DVD (the developer) and not DVC (the club). So the impact should not be felt in Member Services, Accounting or Satisfaction. And cuts to any resort staff would not be from among the 279 jobs mentioned in the article. The 279 jobs are under the DVD umbrella.

I was told that some of Membership Administration are part of DVD so we may see some CMs from there impacted as well.

So sad.....my thoughts are wthl everyone. Dealing with COVID is bad enough for us/all, losing your income makes it 100% worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!