DVC member can’t go on upcoming trip

ChelseaB93

Earning My Ears
Hi, I know of a DVC member who can’t go on their upcoming trip. They have put a price on it. In exchange you get a 4 night stay at Saratoga Springs Resort. If I am not a DVC member can they still transfer the stay to me? Will it include anything extra besides the stay?

So basically you are looking to rent a 4 night reservation from the member? This happens all the time. There are several threads about renting and the do's and don'ts, as well as fair prices per point. As a DVC member the reservation is room only. You can add the dining plan and magical express (thru the member), but purchase your own tickets and make your own fastpasses. Good luck!

Head over to the DVC Rent/Trade Board and read the sticky threads at the top of the board like Henwen88 suggested. You'll need to be logged into the DIS to see that board.

Regarding extras: the only benefit you get is that you won't pay for parking. You won't get anything else like discounts, pool hopping or DVC lounge access.

There are risks in renting, do you know/trust this person?

Most people do not know or think about it... for example, it that person convinces the front desk to extend reservation, the extra cost will be member's responsibility. Normally, they would not allow it. But it's not hard to "social engineer"... have you seen Ocean's 8 movie? Sandra Bullock called in the hotel and claimed the flight was delayed. So the hotel allowed her to change on the phone to extend her stay and kept the extra charge on the room.

How about another scenario? What if the renter took all the cutlery and LCD TV at the check out? They arrived with an empty minivan and left with a full one. Disney will investigate and the member will be on the hook for those replacement costs?

Or worse yet, what if the renter smokes in the room against the rules... and falls asleep? What if the building catches fire... do you think the member will be held partially responsible for it?

So it is a scary business to rent out your DVC points, in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!